Pickups

Any dynasonic players set them up with both sets of slugs toward th…

I have to admit, I did it inadvertently. I was playing with the idea of shimming my T-Armonds up higher and dropping the slugs. Turns out one of the spacers I was gonna use wasn't gonna work. So I put the neck pup back in the "wrong way" around. I had a meeting to get to, so I figured I'd flip it back later. The next day, I figured I'd play it before flipping it back...and...I think I like it. Readjusted the slug heights of course. It's not that I couldn't get the tone I'm getting now before this, it's that it's quicker to dial in the tones I love best and I do so with more consistency. It looks a bit funny as I'm used to the traditional chiastic arrangement where they mirror one another (neck slugs toward the neck and bridge slugs toward the bridge). But I'm thinking of leaving it this way.

Any one else set them up like this?

Sure, it all depends on where the pickup is located. I'm still a firm believer in having the poles on the neck pickup line up with with the "24th fret harmonic", and flipping the neck pickup on my dyna-equipped guitar accomplished that.

I've heard all the reasons why this would be a myth, but I have yet to hear guitars with better sounding neck pickups than guitars with their pickups in that spot.

...and Strum runs to check the harmonics...

...nope. Actually the harmonic is over the screws now, so pretty much where the slugs were before I flipped it. Gonna leave if for awhile anyway.

Don't they need to be in the normal configuration to give the hum cancelling effect when the pup switch is in the middle position?

Maybe. But I'm not sensing more hum than before. And I'm often in the middle position, but with the bass rolled back a bit and some bass cut on the Brain as well. If there has been a change in hum, I haven't noticed.

Don't they need to be in the normal configuration to give the hum cancelling effect when the pup switch is in the middle position?

– Uncle Daddy

– Uncle Daddy

No.

Register Sign in to join the conversation