Pickups

@ an impasse

Well no one said it would be easy to make a guitar with 3 bass strigns/3 regular strings for Timid Folk Music. The wood/finish part all done

At first I thought P Bass blade buckers would work -- but they are too big in just about every dimensions (nice unused DiMarzio Split P in white for sale)

Then there are these 3 pole China buckers for this cigar box scene like you see but altho 2 poles line up sort of ok, 3rd does not -- odd since all strings are .40 center to center of next one. How much string and pole mis alignment degrades the response?

Had wondered if a screw or something in the open holes might work-- then it would align better.

There seem to be a few possibilities out there as I search around -- loads of builders out there -- but what I need is a bucker where the blade is at absolute min 1" long... ideal would be 1.25 but 1.5 is too long -- right in the PBass zone

All ideas appreciated

3 pole China bucker -- crudely painted white by me

How much string and pole mis alignment degrades the response?

It's hard to generalize - pickups vary in their magnetic fields and how they can be tweaked - but in my experience, it matters less than proponents of perfect alignment maintain.

Short of having the relevant lab equipment (and what that is, I have no idea!), there's no way to know for sure sure without mounting the pickup, seeing what you get, and seeing what adjusting height and polepieces can do for you.

It occurs to me that TV Jones' Stereo Filter'Trons might be a self-contained solution to your conundrum. I don't know if he'll still wind those - but they work very well on my stereo Gent. Remarkably little crosstalk between the two halves of the pickup (strings 1-2-3, strings 4-5-6). Pole spacing should be good (assuming you started with 6-string spacing).

Eyeballing your 3-poler, I think it's still worth a shot.

Does it have to be a bucker?

Something like the Mustang Bass pup could do ya

I'm not convinced the lateral alignment of poles and strings makes a huge difference. My 4 string Bronco Bass came with a six string Strat pickup under a sold white cover and it sounded great.

You also might look into something like the Fralin split pickups. I'm pretty sure it's two separate coils that you could send to different outputs (I assume that's what you're trying to do). I think a call to Lindy and an explanation would clear that up.

I'm still very interested in hearing this "Timid Folk Music" you always talk about...

Thanks for all the info here...will take a while to get thru it all. I am not married to blades or poles, just what ever will do the best job getting the sound to its output. yes, 2 outputs to separate channels or even amps --

Timid Folk Music really needs buckers ie no single coil hum That Melody Makes buzzes like a mofo but the Duncan bucker goes in next week -- so a new ball game

Had thought of the Mustang bass type of pickup seen here ... those poles may be way off but as suggested it may not be as critical as I think -- still we are used to hearing guitars with perfectly aligned strings and poles. had wondered if the split single coil used on the 1960s Fender electric 12 was any different than the Mustang bass.

This Levy is definitely worth looking into--- so this is a slo-moving project and won't be done in a day-- plus whatever is decided on ... a special guard has to be made.

I had the same thought, Billy---keep it simple.

The blog post is 10 years old, but this thing looks right up your alley:

http://levysounddesign.blog...

9 strings, split to 2 amps, with a vibrato that only works on the fundamentals. Crazy. His blog is still active, maybe you could get in touch with that guy and run some ideas.

They (Curtis Novak) make the pickups for the Fender Electric XII or Maverick, in original or narrow spacing.

Those weird DuoTrons with half blades and half screws. Vintage Project-O-Sonic.

Plenty of guys who will wind something special for you.

How much string and pole mis alignment degrades the response?

It's hard to generalize - pickups vary in their magnetic fields and how they can be tweaked - but in my experience, it matters less than proponents of perfect alignment maintain.

Short of having the relevant lab equipment (and what that is, I have no idea!), there's no way to know for sure sure without mounting the pickup, seeing what you get, and seeing what adjusting height and polepieces can do for you.

It occurs to me that TV Jones' Stereo Filter'Trons might be a self-contained solution to your conundrum. I don't know if he'll still wind those - but they work very well on my stereo Gent. Remarkably little crosstalk between the two halves of the pickup (strings 1-2-3, strings 4-5-6). Pole spacing should be good (assuming you started with 6-string spacing).

– Proteus

Hey if you can post pix of those Stereo FTs -- can't find any online -- and the center to center on the pole pieces -- that could be a big step forward in restarting this Latest Demented Project

I have a SilverJet with TVJ Stereo pickups, and they work really well. I'm not sure what they're good for, but they're cool. I have a matching stereo amp that I built for Tom to demo the pickups at NAMM...I think around 2008 or 2009.

He just checked in w me yesterday and they expect to produce them commercially (special order) sometime this summer. So just will wait it out til then.

These are said to be stereo... I guess leads from both coils in one pickup are joined up in one tubing piece

https://reverb.com/item/374...

Register Sign in to join the conversation