Pickups

Advice sought. Installing a pickup in a 6022 Rancher…

Hey all,

I just picked up an '89 Rancher and I'm contemplating installing a pickup in it. What do you figure would be the best route to go? Has anyone here taken the plunge?

What kind of tone are you looking to get? You can go K&K mini, for a mic'd acoustic sound. Piezo for, well, a piezo sound. An LR Baggs M1A soundhole pickup for a decent acoustic sound from a magnetic pickup. Or go with a Gretsch Deltoluxe magnetic soundhole pickup and sound like Lightnin' Hopkins.

What kind of tone are you looking to get? You can go K&K mini, for a mic'd acoustic sound. Piezo for, well, a piezo sound. An LR Baggs M1A soundhole pickup for a decent acoustic sound from a magnetic pickup. Or go with a Gretsch Deltoluxe magnetic soundhole pickup and sound like Lightnin' Hopkins.

– AndyJ

I'm not a fan of soundhole pickups. It'll probably be a piezo under the bridge, but I'll check out the K&K you suggested. Any brands to stay away from?

K&K mini isn't a mic pickup(it's three glued in sensors between the strings under the bridge), but it gives great approximation of what your guitar actually sounds like.

I second Billy's suggestion of a DeArmond 210. I installed a DeArmond RHC-B 210 in my 2001 6022 Rancher about six or seven years ago, and never looked back. It sounds fantastic.

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

Thanks for your input guys. Time to do some more research.

Billy's not wrong, these Ranchers as cool as they are do not sound so fantastic on their own pkup. Mine DID though sound fantastic w the LR Baggs M1 and paracoustic DI through house. Like really good. fwiw in my present jumbo (J100xtra) I have the fishman prefix plus and it w my LR Baggs preamp is a gold standard for me w IEMs

I had a Japan-made White Falcon Rancher with its, as Tavo described, not-great sounding pickup. I had my guitar tech swap it out for a Fishman Blender mic/piezo. The hardest part about it was that the plastic saddle, which obviously needed to be replaced, was really wide, as was the slot that it sat in on the bridge. My tech filled the slot with ebony and recut a slot for a normal-sized drop-in saddle. Once he got it done, it looked and sounded great. The only thing I can't recall is why I ever sold it.

I like the L.R. Baggs Lyric if the guitar sounds good on its own.

I installed the Deltoluxe in my Americana . . .

Register Sign in to join the conversation