Pickups

Adjusting Dynasonics Make A World of Difference

I've had my 2004 6120 DSW for slightly over a year and only now decided to adjust them. I only did the neck and based on the diagram that has been posted here on the discussion from some time back about adjusting them. I don't have shims but eventually will get some to raise the bridge p/u and lower the poles.

Amazing what the adjustment to the neck p/u does.

Oh yeah it does! All Gretsch pickups are sensitive to adjustment. I also flipped my Dynasonics 180 degrees so the poles are on the inside of the pickups instead of the outside. It seems like a small adjustment but it also really made a difference.

Oh yeah it does! All Gretsch pickups are sensitive to adjustment. I also flipped my Dynasonics 180 degrees so the poles are on the inside of the pickups instead of the outside. It seems like a small adjustment but it also really made a difference.

– BuddyHollywood

Buddy so flip both of them, not just one? I will try that thanks for the tip.

Did you raise the bridge p/u with shims?

I may buy shims from TV Jones but if you shimmed yours do you know how many I need to shim the p/u to proper height?

Thanks!

Flipping the Dynas moves the pole pieces of each pup closer to each other making them sound a tiny bit more like each other. I’ve tried that tip. Some like it, I flipped it back.

As has been documented on the GDP many times, lowering the pole slugs to flush with cover and then adjusting the slugs to balance volume along with raising the pu bodies really fattens up the tone of Dynasonics (especially the stock Gretsch Dynas).

In one of the discussions on this I think I read to raise the bridge p/u with shims and let the poles get close to the strings but and adjust the poles. The neck p/u no need to raise the p/u but raise and lower the poles. I just bought shims from TV Jones. Looking forward to receiving them.

Buddy so flip both of them, not just one? I will try that thanks for the tip.

Did you raise the bridge p/u with shims?

I may buy shims from TV Jones but if you shimmed yours do you know how many I need to shim the p/u to proper height?

Thanks!

– ThePolecats

Yes I bought the TV Jones shim for the bridge pickup. I would definitely recommend it. I only needed one because it's like mousepad foam and will expand or contract depending on how tight you screw it in. For my bridge pickup I started with the poles relatively flush to the surface of the pickup and then I adjusted each pole for string volume. For the neck pickup I have the poles a little higher than the bridge. I adjusted them for clarity and string balance as well as balance with the bridge pickup. I should also mention I had the Gretsch Dynasonics rewound by my friend Sayoko Kuwabara at Kuwabara Pickups in Los Angeles. I asked her to wind the bridge pickup hotter and to underwind the neck pickup. She nailed it!

Buddy, curious why you got them rewound instead of bought some Seymour Duncan Dynas or TV Jones T-Armonds? I am leaving the stock pickups in but in the future I may either rewind or replace. So just wondering why you rewound. So far adjusting the neck p/u really improved things.

I live in the Los Angeles area so I will keep in mind Kuwabara Pickups. I didn't know about her until you mentioned her but it is good to know near me there is someone who can do it. Thanks!

Buddy, curious why you got them rewound instead of bought some Seymour Duncan Dynas or TV Jones T-Armonds? I am leaving the stock pickups in but in the future I may either rewind or replace. So just wondering why you rewound. So far adjusting the neck p/u really improved things.

I live in the Los Angeles area so I will keep in mind Kuwabara Pickups. I didn't know about her until you mentioned her but it is good to know near me there is someone who can do it. Thanks!

– ThePolecats

There are a few reasons. I really love the inherent tone of the Gretsch Dynasonics. Every time I made up my mind to swap them out with TV Jones T'Armonds I would plug my Duo Jet in and play and be enamored with the sound. While T'Armonds also sound amazing they do not sound like the Gretsch Dynasonics in the upper mids. I realized what I didn't like about the stock Dynasonics was their output and balance with each other. I met Sayoko years ago and got along with her immediately. She is a gem of a human being. I became a fan of her skills after hearing clips of her pickups on YouTube. I then had her rewind some DeArmond gold foil bass pickups I had and she did an amazing job. On a whim I called her up to see if she would be willing to rewind my Gretsch Dynasonics. I explained what my issues were with them and she agreed to take a crack at it. She told me the stock pickups were both measuring at the same resistance. This is the way they made them in the 1950s so Terada was just being faithful to the original design. It is also the reason for the imbalance. She ended up winding the bridge to about 9.9 and the neck to about 7.15. I am extremely happy I went this route instead of buying different pickups. She charged less than the price of one T'Armond too.

plus one on shimming up the bridge Dyna. Improved the stock pickups in my 6136-LDS Falcon. I eventually got hold of some vintage Dyna's which sounded even better but also shimmed up the bridge pickup a bit...really screams.

Buddy, thanks for the info. One more thing, what part of town is Kuwabara Pickups in? I am not going to rewind yet but if I do I am curious if Kuwabara Pickups is in West LA or the Hollywood area or what. I take it you are from So Cal also?

Thanks

plus one on shimming up the bridge Dyna. Improved the stock pickups in my 6136-LDS Falcon. I eventually got hold of some vintage Dyna's which sounded even better but also shimmed up the bridge pickup a bit...really screams.

– tabletop

tabletop that is a beautiful White Falcon.

I just measured mine. Both are around 7.5. The neck is 7.4 and bridge 7.5 so essentially the same.

She is in West Hollywood around the La Cienega / Melrose area.

She is in West Hollywood around the La Cienega / Melrose area.

– BuddyHollywood

Thanks. Without traffic about 20 minutes. Pretty close and convenient.

tabletop that is a beautiful White Falcon.

– ThePolecats

Many thanks ThePolecats! Took a while to her just how I wanted but just love this guitar now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation