Pickups

Acoustic Guitar pickup (soundhole mount)

I am trying to buy one and kinda specifically looking for one that will mount on to a cheap takamine from like the 80's... so preserving the guitar is not important and also I plan on playing at loud volumes and maybe even using feedback if possible.

any suggestions out there?

See what GFS might have. The CGB/cigar box guitar has some really inexpensive ones you might want to experiment with at first. Remember to run a wire to the ball end of the low E sting if you use a basic magnetic pickup. You can always hunt for a vintage DeArmond unit.

Heard good things about Lace...

a

I was into those until a friend brought in several of his K&K equipped acoustics. Just the simple 3 transducer system rocks. They sound like you’re playing into a mic and it’s passive, no battery.

I was into those until a friend brought in several of his K&K equipped acoustics. Just the simple 3 transducer system rocks. They sound like you’re playing into a mic and it’s passive, no battery.

– Curt Wilson

I agree with Brother Curt. I have K&Ks for all 5 of my acoustics. They sound great and if you add a preamp they sound fantastic! There is an impedance mismatch with some preamps but that can be easily worked around.

There are basically 4 ways you can amplify an acoustic:

Magnetic sound hole pickup

Piezo undersaddle transducer

Piezo sound board transducer

Microphone

Microphone is best sounding but impractical. Best left for recording and solo classical

The other 3 from best sounding to worst:

Sound board transducer Magnetic Undersaddle

The best acoustic pickup system I ever heard was the Dimarzio Angel System with the UST replaced with a sound board transducer like the K&K Western

Register Sign in to join the conversation