Pickups

6120 with P90s

Here we go! Just picked it up from the luthier today, initial impressions are hoo-boy I love it!

I’ll report back with more observations in a few days.

Great, TsarNick! Bet it sounds nice and punchy! I, too, have no truck with humbuckers. I’ve gone all P90 and Dynasonics.

I'll bet that sounds incredible. Which p90s did you use.

K

Sounding pretty darn good so far Konrad as far as I'm concerned. They're TV Jones' T90s.

I'm pretty excited by them I have to say, I decided to throw together a quick little demo video. Just playing the neck and then bridge clean as a whistle, a few squiffy notes here and there but hey whaddayawantfornothin'?

TV Jones T90s in a Gretsch 6120

That sounds lovely, Nick. I seriously doubt I'd recognize it as a Gretsch in a blind-fold test, though. But that's totally fine by me. P90s are my favourite PUs, but I already said that.

Btw, is that you in the framed shot left to the drum set? Where and what was that?

That sounds lovely, Nick. I seriously doubt I'd recognize it as a Gretsch in a blind-fold test, though. But that's totally fine by me. P90s are my favourite PUs, but I already said that.

Btw, is that you in the framed shot left to the drum set? Where and what was that?

– sascha

Yeah it may not be too Gretschy now but it’s definitely giving me the sound I was looking for.

The photo is one of my friend and I playing a gig in a place in Dublin called Vicar Street. We were supporting my brother’s band who had quite the following at the time so there were some good press photographers in attendance!

What a great chunky sound. I like it!

The photo was getting my attention since - at least from afar - it looks like the same clothing style as the one you are wearing in the video.

Love that swingy tone. I recently bought me this MIJ Tokai that is able to deliver that... and a little more.

I'd say that Tokai can go from Freddie King to Johnny Thunders pretty quickly with the right approach!

Cool,i like that tone ,i should get me self some P90s'..!

A few years ago i could've bought a 70's or 80's Antoria 175 copy ,i wish i had ,cause i'm sure it would've sounded great with these pickups in it.

Sounds great. P90s are my faves too but I love Dynas. I thought TV Jones was going to make P90s that fit in a Dyna route but I haven't seen that as of yet. I would try those.

Sounding pretty darn good so far Konrad as far as I'm concerned. They're TV Jones' T90s.

I'm pretty excited by them I have to say, I decided to throw together a quick little demo video. Just playing the neck and then bridge clean as a whistle, a few squiffy notes here and there but hey whaddayawantfornothin'?

TV Jones T90s in a Gretsch 6120

– Tsar Nicholas

Tiny's tempo!

Sounds great, fatter treble and clearer bottom end than a Filtertron, what's not to like?

Sounds great. P90s are my faves too but I love Dynas. I thought TV Jones was going to make P90s that fit in a Dyna route but I haven't seen that as of yet. I would try those.

– ThePolecats

I bugged Tom a year or so ago about making T90s in a Dyna mount. He did make some for thenocturnebrain.com 's Rooster guitar. Dunno why he won't make more; were they were difficult to make?

I bugged Tom a year or so ago about making T90s in a Dyna mount. He did make some for thenocturnebrain.com 's Rooster guitar. Dunno why he won't make more; were they were difficult to make?

– lx

Aren't the bobbin dimensions of a P90 essential for its sound and simply bigger than a Dynasonic?

sascha I heard that too. That the dimensions of the P90 play into the tone. I believe it because I’ve tried the Gibson P94 which is the humbucker sized P90 and it didn’t really sound like a P90. I could put some P90s in my 6120 DSW but I don’t want to because I don’t want to make changes that aren’t 100% reversible. But even if a Dyna sized P90 doesn’t sound Exactly like a P90 that’s okay if it sounds fairly close.

Tiny's tempo!

Sounds great, fatter treble and clearer bottom end than a Filtertron, what's not to like?

– WB

Absolutely nothing not to like from my perspective so far.

That sounds great! And as a P90 lover I say you made the right choice!

Did another little demo this evening with a bit more grit going on.

TV Jones T-90 Demo 2

Not the most flattering angle but what can ya do.

– Tsar Nicholas

Flatwounds?

Danman, thanks! I knew it would meet with your approval.

ThePolecats, nope roundwound D'Addario 12s. I would put flats on it but it would put it just a little too much in one direction I think for what is my primary guitar.

I've got flatwound 13s on a Squier Jazzmaster than I'm in the process of selling at the moment, they work really well on it.

I've made one last video playing through the positions - TV Jones T90 Demo 3. The tone switch is still fairly useless. Perhaps even more useless now actually, I wonder would changing the caps on it to different values help?

Has anyone got any ideas regarding the tone switch on this? If you watch the last video I goof around a bit with it and it's nigh on unusable.

Would changing the values on the switch make much difference? Or could I change it for a tone knob?

Would changing the values on the switch make much difference?

Almost certainly. You might apply to TV Jones for likely values to be useful with the P90s.

Also, yeah, you could tone-knob it. TV would also have the necessary wiring diagram.

Would changing the values on the switch make much difference?

Almost certainly. You might apply to TV Jones for likely values to be useful with the P90s.

Also, yeah, you could tone-knob it. TV would also have the necessary wiring diagram.

– Proteus

Good idea. I’ll get onto them.

I found this Gretsch Clipper with 3 P90s and thought others might like it too.

For posterity and future reference, TV recommends using .018uF for the down position and .033uF for the up.

I’ll give that a go next time the guitar is getting opened up.

Register Sign in to join the conversation