Pickups

56 Streamliner Wiring Schem

Silly me sold my '56 Streamliner so I can't check the wiring layout, pot values and tone cap value. That thing had such a usable tone control once I replaced the cap.

I want to get my '55 Convertible to behave the same way and I suspect the pots, cap etc are not the same values as the Streamliner. Unless I'm wrong of course.

Anyone got a '54-'57 Streamliner wiring diagram that includes component values?

IIRC Gretsch was switching things up between '55 and '57. Prior to '57 you found a fair amount of the pots were 1 meg (sometimes with stacked pots) and by '57 they were 500K. Not sure about the cap values.

I sold the harnesses from a 56 Corvette and Streamliner. I can only find a pic of the harness from the Corvette. I have some pics of the pots only from the Streamliner.

Interesting you found your tone control was better once you changed the cap. My modified '56 Streamliner has got its original cap and i'd say it's the most versatile tone control of any guitar I own.

Interesting you found your tone control was better once you changed the cap. My modified '56 Streamliner has got its original cap and i'd say it's the most versatile tone control of any guitar I own.

– tabletop

Tabletop yes my memory says I changed the tone cap but I might be thinking of another old guitar because I also remember being surprised at how versatile the tone control was on that guitar. You could get a really nice jazzy tone, not dull, or a crisp (almost Strat) tone, with plenty of goodness in between. It's possible the cap was still working and I am mis-remembering the change out.

I sold the harnesses from a 56 Corvette and Streamliner. I can only find a pic of the harness from the Corvette. I have some pics of the pots only from the Streamliner.

– knavel

Thanks Knavel - I don't recall my Streamliner having double gang pots for the tone control but then again maybe I'm thinking of another guitar. I can't read the cap values there but the volume pot looks like 1M

Tabletop yes my memory says I changed the tone cap but I might be thinking of another old guitar because I also remember being surprised at how versatile the tone control was on that guitar. You could get a really nice jazzy tone, not dull, or a crisp (almost Strat) tone, with plenty of goodness in between. It's possible the cap was still working and I am mis-remembering the change out.

– Doppler

I only mention it because I've never had a guitar before this that had such a usable sweep in the tone pot. I'm so used to my tone pots jumping from full up treble to mud but this is great!

Register Sign in to join the conversation