Pedals

What does Xotic mean by this? (General ‘lectronical question.)

"Use a dummy plug with the tip's grounded" (sic, clearly).

Do you suppose they mean an open plug, or a plug with the tip shorted to the sleeve?

I suppose it's not completely clear from the image, but the object is to defeat the input on their Stereo X-Blender and allow the three pairs of stereo returns to operate as inputs to the mixer section of the device.

Entire PDF manual here: https://xotic.us/wp-content...

I've emailed Xotic twice, and they ignore me.

My Adamas came with a dummy plug to fool the built-in Tuner when playing without an amp.

It's open circuit, not a short.

In your case I believe they want you to short it out...the tip would otherwise be + and they imply taking it to ground. It closes the Input circuit without any signal.

That's what I would expect as well...but, geez, the description is so illiterate it defeats clarity. And it's not something I want to get wrong.

And I'm peeved that I got a response from Xotic's customer service robot that they've received my request and are "working on responding to you as soon as possible." You just wouldn't think it would take a week to answer that question.

Lower your expectations and be happy when you connect with Customer Service oriented people...they are still out there. While I was acquiring different things late last year it was better than 50%.

Oh, in general I'm thrilled with the customer service I get from gear companies - especially pedalists.

The list I'd single out for praise - that I can think of at the moment - includes Source Audio, Strymon (who left a positive comment on one of my YouTube efforts, I realized years after I posted it), Steve Bragg at Empress, Ryan Clarke at Dr Scientist, Joel Korte at Chase Bliss, the folks at Pigtronix, a couple guys at Earthquaker, Doug Tuttle of Mid-fi Electronics, Tom Majeski at Cooper FX, someone at Red Panda, David Rolo of Drolo, guys at Bored Brain, Brian Wallis at Saturn Pedalworks, William Mathewson at WMD, Robert Keeley (years ago), the guy at Fairfield Circuitry, Matt the Muff-obsessed proprietor of Stomp Under Foot, Mike Robinson at Eastwood, a girl at Wampler (possibly Brian's wife), someone at Meris, a tech at Zvex, George L, Peavey, Gretsch/FMIC (it goes without saying!), Tavo (ditto!), Tom Jones at TVJ (likewise), Line 6, even some Chinese folks at Hotone and Nux, and Samson in the US (who distributes Hotone).

These people have answered questions, helped me navigate the rabbit holes, modded pedals, diagnosed and repaired pedals, done warranty swaps I wasn't entitled to, and generally (and genially) facilitated my assorted wanders through my apparently endless wonderland.

Once upon a time I had some good email with Electro Harmonix, though they ignored my last query a couple of weeks ago.

All of which makes Xotic a true outlier in not having responded at all.

I have had some very good responses from Strymon. In a way I was almost surprised because various aspects of some Strymon gear annoys me - but of course they're not to know that! I've also had excellent responses from Rutters, Basic Audio and Magnetic Effects.

Had some sarcastic, unhelpful responses from Dr Z. But Top Hat, Victoria and Mercury Magnetics have all been wonderful.

To me "Dummy plug with tip grounded" would mean a jack plug with no cable attached and the tip soldered to the sleeve.

That's what I would expect as well...but, geez, the description is so illiterate it defeats clarity. And it's not something I want to get wrong.

And I'm peeved that I got a response from Xotic's customer service robot that they've received my request and are "working on responding to you as soon as possible." You just wouldn't think it would take a week to answer that question.

– Proteus

By the pic, the 1/4" plug is TS, try it open first, can't hurt anything, it just won't work! Then try it shorted! I'm guessing they meant short the thing. It's probably just to close an open circuit like an insert point in a regular mixer.

Register Sign in to join the conversation