Pedals

trem pedal frenzy

Well my pedal board consists of a TR-2 trem. Reverb belongs in the amp, or if not, just a little Holy Grail Nano affixed to the top of the amp.

It does appear there are such things as dual setting trem pedals, and that interests me to get 2 commonly used settings dialed in so there's not all this bending over to change settings. Plus sometimes I will use mild trem thru a song but strong intensity on the ending chord.

Anyone tried these or know of any good ones? Here's one... could live without the boost control - - I ain't boosting s**t.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/us...

Yes, I have one of those. It's great, and the tremolo effect itself is like the bias trem in a Princeton or a brown vibrolux, very nice. Box is built like a tank, you could probably use it as a weapon if someone tried to steal it from you.

Interesting. I’ll be staying tuned in to this quest.

Well with this WB endorsement I might make a play for one. They say the boost is just to make up for some volume loss w conventional trem. I used to be a real fan of the complex sound 1960-63 brown/white trem I guess on the Vibrolux or Super on up but less so now. I think the brown Deluxe had the normal trem.

And speaking of special trem scene, was there something so different or unique about 1960s Valco / Supro trem that it gets a pedal attempt?

I know the JFK-era Fender trem has been pedal-ized by Strymon or something

https://guitarpedalshoppe.c...

was there something so different or unique about 1960s Valco / Supro trem that it gets a pedal attempt?

That, specifically, could be a maybe/maybe not. But, in general, so many pedal builders have built so many pedals, and the market is so saturated, that just in order to have something plausibly different, builders are ransacking every tiniest nook and cranny of pedal/gear history.

Whether an amp, an effect, or a sound was truly different/unique - or considered "good" by the teeniest niche of aficionados, nostalgiacs, and/or tone questers past or present - someone will reproduce it (or his version of it).

That situation is arguably better than truly endless clones of pretty much exactly the same two or three things, but it does complicate shopping for someone looking for a final solution.

The Strymon to which you refer must be the Flint, and it's so much more than just JFK-era trem. It actually houses three awfully credible emuversions of classic trem circuits: harmonic (brownface), bias, and opto. (I don't remember which amps the latter two are associated with, but they finish out the rest of the presidents of the 60s.) All with enough control to dial in whatever throb you crave. And there are two stomps - but only one is for the trem side of the pedal. To trigger two different trems on demand (without bending over), you'd need another external footswitch.

The OTHER side of the pedal contains Stymon's emuversions of three classic reverbs - spring, plate, and "hall." They too sound purdurngood, and have sufficient control to dial in.

Also, both effects can be (but don't have to be) stereo, and you can change the effect order to put trem-before-verb - as most serial pedal-players would do it - or verb before trem, as it was in classic Fender amps, so that the reverb itself throbs. (That's something you would probably appreciate as being authentic.)

But there you go, see. It's two pedals in one (the compact efficiency of which you might appreciate), but it can be more complicated than you might like. Doesn't have to be - you can dial in great sound with just the labeled knobs and switches, all of which are perfectly self-explanatory - but it does allow deeper fine-tuning with alt functions for the controls.

That said, even with that functionality it's not at all a deep-diver's experimental tonequest pedal. It's intended as the one pedal a traditionalist needs, and fills that niche well. When I had an absolutely (ok, mostly) minimalist only-what's-needed board, the Flint perfectly fit the bill for both trem and verb. (The rest of the board: either an Atomic Brain and the Strymon El Capistan delay OR Nocturne BS-301 combo; compressor; dirt/drive du jour.)

You probably won't go there, because it's too Modern World, but you could. You could even get one just to try, with the full intention of sending it back before the trial period expires.

I did have a Flint back when I was wanting reverb and term in the same box. But now there are 4 knob ones, 2 controls for each effect, (simpler) which is all I need -- if I wanted that.

Back in my brown Super period (1990s) I was all eaten up with that trem and preached it around -- but I am less into that sound now.

For non-verb amps now it's just a Holy Grail Nano setting on top -- the living room 1965 Grestch Gadabout has this setup now.

But you are right... someone may have decreed there WAS something different/classic/cooler about Valco trem when maybe it really wasn't all that different.

Has anyone done 60s Ampeg trem with what used to be called 'afterbeat' (not sure what that meant) but the click setting at max intensity where it actually turned the signal / sound totally OFF instead of just dip the volume.

surprisingly, the most interesting tremolo i've seen lately is the new Fender unit with one tube. i'm not really a tubes-in-my-pedals guy, but regardless of valve content it sounds good, has a variety of wave shapes, and you can vary the duty cycle to get the Vox repeat-percussion effect with the square wave.

Has anyone done 60s Ampeg trem with what used to be called 'afterbeat' (not sure what that meant) but the click setting at max intensity where it actually turned the signal / sound totally OFF instead of just dip the volume.

I'm familiar with that, as I have two Ampegs that do it. I can't name a single simple pedal incorporating exactly that, but I can get it in several of my big-box modulatin' madhouses, and I'm sure the EHX Super Pulsar does it. There's pretty much nothing trem-related that thing doesn't encompass.

the most interesting tremolo i've seen lately is the new Fender unit

All the recent Fender effects I've heard/played are top-notch stuff. They're also ridiculously handsome. I have to keep myself from indulging, because I have everything they do several times over...but, per one of the signature symptoms of this syndrome, I still wonder if one or more might do its thing better than what I have, or with a unique twist otherwise unattainable.

So easy to imagine a board with all of them lined up neatly in their stylish form factors and 60s-anodized-aluminum-tumbler colors. I think I'll go look at them now.

The EQD Hummingbird comes closest to the Ampeg "Afterbeat" setting. A truly worthless effect if there ever was one.

The EQD Hummingbird comes closest to the Ampeg "Afterbeat" setting. A truly worthless effect if there ever was one.

– Otter

But there are others -- flange is at top of my list.

Tremelo that isnt right on top of the beat is nice when youre a singer and you have to play with different drummers. Its also nice when the throb is focused on the lower strings and the top strings can remain relatively un-effected. For more than a decade I relied on a Supa-trem and amp trem, but over the years I've become less and less a fan of blk f. fender trem in general.

Well with this WB endorsement I might make a play for one. They say the boost is just to make up for some volume loss w conventional trem. I used to be a real fan of the complex sound 1960-63 brown/white trem I guess on the Vibrolux or Super on up but less so now. I think the brown Deluxe had the normal trem.

– DCBirdMan

It's NOT the phasey, almost vibrato-like brownface trem of the larger amps (super, bandmaster, concert, twin,..) - it's bias trem - but a very nice and useable execution of it. And switching between two sets of speed/intensity is neat if you use a lot of trem.

It's NOT the phasey, almost vibrato-like brownface trem of the larger amps (super, bandmaster, concert, twin,..) - it's bias trem - but a very nice and useable execution of it. And switching between two sets of speed/intensity is neat if you use a lot of trem.

– WB

Yes, it is the switching that appeals to me and is the trem I like, although in 90s that crazed brown/white trem was my scene. I think I will spring for used one. Not seeing any info on what AC adapter it requires tho -- used ones are often lacking that part.

I went down this road years ago, for years.

Long story short: I always prefer tube bias trem like in the Princeton, or Swart, or Supro, amps. Best pedal for that: Monster Effects Swamp Thang, good luck finding one. I owned 2 over the years, and both ended up going wonky on me.

So I now own just 1 trem pedal, another old favorite, no longer made, but it's fantastic and funky: the Guyatone FLIP Tube Trem. It's got a 12AX7 in it, and yes it actually uses the tube. It does have quite a vol boost tho, so I replaced the AX7 with an AU7, and that did the trick. But I can't really recommend the FLIP, because they were inconsistent... the first one I had, made in Japan, was heavenly... which I sold when I found the Swamp Thang. But then, when my 2nd ST went wonky, I decided to re-visit the Guyatone. The first one I bought, made in China, sounded nothing like the old ones. So I hunted down another one made in Japan (the early ones), and replaced the tube, and I love it.

But it sits on a shelf, because 2 of my 4 amps have tremolo onboard.

If I were still shopping today, I would probably get the new MXR tremolo and be done with it... but then, as I've gotten older I've gotten less anal about this stuff... when you are sitting all alone at home playing, it's easy to start picking out "magical nuances" that simply don't exist or matter in real-world situations. And the MXR is versatile, durable, and does any kind of tremolo you can think of... at a non-Strymon/non-boutique price.

Just my $0.02

Just a bump to remind us what we were talking about before 1/2/21, The GDP's Lost Day.

(My protocol is to find topics I commented on which were active in the last 48 hours. This won't catch everything, because I hadn't participated in every thread. Y'all could also find started-by-you threads with activity in the last 48, and similarly bump them, and then we'll remember what we were talking about.)

Well, I have decided I need to buy another tremolo pedal... while I do have the Guyatone I mention above, since it has a tube in it I'm not comfortable putting on the band board... which gets moved every week even if we are not gigging, to and from rehearsal.

So, also since it's the band board, I have decided to not be too picky about it- it just needs to work and not suck tone, I don't need "the best" anything. But I have decided I would like it to be capable of harmonic tremolo... which is not my favorite, actually I don't even like harmonic tremolo much, it's very Uni-Vibey and I'm not a UV fan either LOL. But there are several songs on the setlist where some kind of spacey effect is helpful (for example, the middle break on Life In The Fastlane), so I want a pedal I can use for that (as well as plain old tremolo).

I have narrowed my choices down to 2, both same pricepoint:

new MXR - it can do every kind of tremolo. It's digital.

Subdecay Vagabond - it does BIAS and HARMONIC only (which is fine), and it's analog.

I'm leaning Vagabond because it's simple, and it might be able to become my only trem pedal. I'll never use all the MXR has to offer. BUT... I'm trying to get a reading on how easy Subdecay is to deal with, how long orders take, etc... they don't seem to be as "available" as they used to be, I'd have to order directly from them, and I really have no interested in waiting 4-6 weeks (or longer in the covid age) for a pedal anymore (in which case I'd just buy the MXR and be done with it).

The folks over at Surfy Industries (who make the very well received Surfy Bear Spring Reverb) make a pedal called the Surfy Trem that features both Fender Blackface bias mod trem and Fender Brownface harmonic trem in a compact case. Don't own one myself, but all the demos I've seen/heard it sounds excellent in both modes.

The folks over at Surfy Industries (who make the very well received Surfy Bear Spring Reverb) make a pedal called the Surfy Trem that features both Fender Blackface bias mod trem and Fender Brownface harmonic trem in a compact case. Don't own one myself, but all the demos I've seen/heard it sounds excellent in both modes.

– Gretschadelphia

thanks for that, I'll look it up!

Are you sure it's bias mod trem? It doesn't really say, and "blackface tremolo" could also mean the opto type, like in the Deluxe Reverb and other BF fenders. (the only BF Fender that has tube bias mod trem is the Princeton, and the rare Vibro-Champ)

OK, I've decided. I just ordered a Subdecay Vagabond, because I found someone close by who has one in stock, on reverb. (I was worried about ordering direct from Subdecay, as their website does not say if the pedal is in stock, and if it's not it was a 4-6 week wait)...

I really only use the bias trem myself, but like I said I think the harmonic trem will come in handy with my band on occasion....

the harmonic trem in this clip really does sound like a Uni-Vibe with a faster speed and deeper waveform.

thanks for that, I'll look it up!

Are you sure it's bias mod trem? It doesn't really say, and "blackface tremolo" could also mean the opto type, like in the Deluxe Reverb and other BF fenders. (the only BF Fender that has tube bias mod trem is the Princeton, and the rare Vibro-Champ)

– ruger9

I have the Surfy one, and yes, it's pretty cool. the side they call blackface sounds a lot more like bias trem to me - it's not the typical choppier opto of a twin or a super reverb. Very musical and intuitive, easy to dial in.

Register Sign in to join the conversation