Pedals

Tim Vs Timmy

I was talking pedals with a guitarist friend recently and he asked me what I thought of the Tim pedal. I said well I like the Timmy but don't find it particularly useful in my playing... So he brought around his Tim pedal for me to try because he insisted it was different. I had heard the Tim was a little different from the Timmy but I wasn't prepared for how different!

For me the Tim sounds so much better than the Timmy. Of course they do sound similar, but the Tim sounds so much fuller and bigger. The lows seem tighter and the highs crisper. Now this could be partly my imagination but everything he told me about the Tim coincides with my observations.

So of course I pulled his pedal apart to see why. All I could see which was different was that the treble control is wired slightly differently and there is a 4n7 cap across pins 6 & 7 of the chip. Can this be it? So I drew up a Vero layout and built myself one. Sure enough, it sounds exactly like my friend's Tim, and way better than any Timmy I have tried.

Then there's the weird boost. It's not really a boost as nothing really gets louder and turning it up only seems to make it a little brighter. And I have no idea what the boost tone is supposed to do! But the boost sounds fabulous. The knobs do barely anything but it doesn't seem to matter as the sound becomes fuller, richer and more vintage Marshall kinda sounding sorta.

It's just a great pedal, and a total surprise. As they aren't made any more the prices for used Tims are getting very silly very quickly.

When I built mine I left out the FX loop and the pull-boost-boost switch, as I felt both were redundant. So it all fits easily into a 1590 BB box with top-mounted jacks. I've built a few for friends too, and they love it. My only question now is why would Paul C build the Timmy to sound as it does when he could have made it sound so much better? Odd.

Paging Tavo.... will Tavo Vega please go to the white courtesy phone... Tavo Vega white courtesy phone....

That's one of the best you could have chosen. You know a Gent was nearby

Tried a Timmy a few months ago and was completely underwhelmed. So the question you pose as to "why" promote a lesser sounding circuit is a good one. Easy money I suppose. Still, I know it turned me off trying any further offerings from this maker...

Why paging Tavo? It's a PaulC pedal. Not dissing Tavo, just curious.

I made one for another friend who has a later version Tim and he prefers the one I built, so there is obviously a difference. My friend with the original early Tim feels the sound of mine Vs his early Tim is very, very close. It's a little difficult to compare them because I reversed the way the tone controls work, using reverse audio 50K pots, where the original uses regular 50K audio tapers. So on mine the treble and bass get more as they are turned clockwise, as on a regular pedal.

I read an interesting post somewhere from Paul C about the Timmy VIII where he adds a couple of resistors and changes pot values to try to improve the taper of the tone and volume controls. I don't really think it's a problem to begin with.

So the Tim is apparently no longer available. That's a shame because this early one sounds incredible. It really is something special. And it shouldn't be too difficult to build a Timmy which sounds exactly the same without the boost. It's why Paul didn't which confuses me.

Because Tavo has been preaching the wonders of Paul C's Tim pedal before anyone else, and especially with Gretsches. I've never owned a Tim, but I owned a Timmy, and now own an MXR Timmy. I find them to be one of the few overdrives available (I have been through literally 100 overdrives by now, I bet, over the last 12 years), that retains the clarity and punch from a big hollowbody.... most overdrives just turn such guitars into mush.

"All I could see which was different was that the treble control is wired slightly differently and there is a 4n7 cap across pins 6 & 7 of the chip." How exactly is the treble control wired ? I have a Timmy and might give it a mod.

Treble 3 goes to pin 5 of the chip, treble 2 goes to a 1K5 from treble 3, and treble 1 goes to gain 1. The 4n7 sits between pins 6 & 7 of the chip. I suspect that adding the 4n7 between pins 6 & 7 might do the trick.

I didn't know Tavo was a champion for the Tim. I think I may be becoming one! Everyone who plays it wants one.

Thank you,noted.

I can post a vero layout I made if you want one.

I agree that my early Tim is better (for me) than Timmy,it's outstanding... though I like and own a couple of Timmys.

Thanks for the observations, JimmyR.

I love my Timmy, never tried the Tim. Never knew there was a difference, other than the boost.

I can post a vero layout I made if you want one.

– JimmyR

That would be cool to check out Jimmy.

would you take a commission to make me one? i've been very interested in the TIM pedal lately!!

I'll second Paul on this, if you were willing to make one Jimmy I'd be interested too.

I can, but bear in mind I'm in Australia. I recently sent a couple of tru-arcs back to Tim and I think it took about 3 weeks for the parcel to get to him. They do arrive, but not as quickly as you might like!

I've been surprised at how many local players have wanted one. I have done zero promotion - I just made one for my friend whose Tim I borrowed - and word got around and so far I have built almost a dozen for local guys! But I like building them and like to make people happy so why not?

FWIW I have changed a couple of tiny things. I use a TL072 instead of the 4559 - and it doesn't really make any difference. It's in a socket so you can use whatever you like. And the original uses audio taper 10K pots for the boost and boost tone - I am finding that linear taper pots produce a slightly better result, in that I can actually hear a slight difference when moving them! They really don't do much. But the "boost" is still very much worth having.

This is how I make mine:

I can, but bear in mind I'm in Australia. I recently sent a couple of tru-arcs back to Tim and I think it took about 3 weeks for the parcel to get to him. They do arrive, but not as quickly as you might like!

I've been surprised at how many local players have wanted one. I have done zero promotion - I just made one for my friend whose Tim I borrowed - and word got around and so far I have built almost a dozen for local guys! But I like building them and like to make people happy so why not?

FWIW I have changed a couple of tiny things. I use a TL072 instead of the 4559 - and it doesn't really make any difference. It's in a socket so you can use whatever you like. And the original uses audio taper 10K pots for the boost and boost tone - I am finding that linear taper pots produce a slightly better result, in that I can actually hear a slight difference when moving them! They really don't do much. But the "boost" is still very much worth having.

– JimmyR

Luckily for my I'm in Brisbane lol, not sure how to do private messages here but seeing as I have no idea when it comes to electronics and building things then I would be interested if you would be willing to build a few as I have been wanting a decent overdrive pedal lately.

Hey cool Stefan! Brisbane is somewhere I have only been once, but it seems similar to Perth in that we both had wonderful music scenes in the 70s/80s/90s... You had the Go-betweens, we had the Triffids and the Scientists.

You can email me at roger3 - at - globaldial.com - just write it without the spaces and hyphens. In Australia it's Aust$275 which includes airmail. In the US I would think US$225 should cover it including airmail with tracking. There's a lot of wiring in a Tim! The circuit is small and simple but there is a lot of off-board wiring which is where the time goes...

Register Sign in to join the conversation