Pedals

RJ Ronquillo just published a demo of the BS-301 Mystery Brain & Gr…

In this vid, RJ starts off w his sig Novo 80s theme'd guitar and then switches to his Gretsch Eddie C at 1:53.. So yes the gretsch is very much hi-lighted here w some of the more eccentric attributes of the *BS-301 Mystery Brain's photocell vibrato w the echo and use of the abby mode as well.

• For the uninitiated this pedal is a hybrid solid state approach to basic functions of the setzer made famous Roland Re-301 Space echo. I've utilized a photocell vibrato to garner tape chorus /dimension or vibrato/ wow n flutter and connected in series, 3 different preamplifier to formulate an analog tape saturated texture. The RE301 space echo preamp at the front of the signal, then an echoplex preamp (mini silver internal trimmer is set to unity gain) at the front of the hybrid analog & digital echo circuit. In parallel to the wet echo is another transparent preamp to boost the optical vibrato. When all three are engaged and the abby mode is on w the level set lower (dont just set the gain level of the preamp then turn on the abby or it will sound like a volume boost, a big mistake many make..adjust the gain level of the space echo side WITH the abby mode on because its part of the gain structure, not a volume booster). This will get you closer to the driven sounds of an RE-301 (not to be confused w the somewhat flubbery transistor based RE-201 version that Radiohead made famous)

www.thenocturnebrain.com

good vid! pedal sounds great!

cheers

One great pedal plus one great picker,I could listen to him noodle all day long.

Oh! So that’s how it’s supposed to sound? Damn.

nice demo

He plays so good, always enjoy an RJ review. Great to hear the pedal but used for some spacey stuff, like it was when it was around originally in the 70s.

Wonder if R J ever heard Steve Hillage?

Great sounding pedal and a wonderful demo.

I love RJ's demos and still go back and watch his Dyna-equipped Guild demo. Great watching him w/ Tavo's magic as it appears to expand on all of the Mystery Brain's goodness.

I really wish RJ would return the blues n roots as a performer, he's made for it even though he can shred for days :)

Great delay fades. And great playing !

I really wish RJ would return the blues n roots as a performer, he's made for it even though he can shred for days :)

– TheNocturneBrain

i think rj's ability to play just about everything is what keeps him in such high demand as a demo artist...he's done demo's for just about every hip guitar gear company out there!!!...plus he does demo's at namm...gotta be flexible to do that...

solid player..and yeah he's got the roots...don't think he'll lose'm

liked the fact that his novo/fano guitar reversed matched the pedal...green/pink..nice aesthetic coincidence!! haha

blue sparkle next huh...wow!

keep doin it t!

cheers

i think rj's ability to play just about everything is what keeps him in such high demand as a demo artist...he's done demo's for just about every hip guitar gear company out there!!!...plus he does demo's at namm...gotta be flexible to do that...

solid player..and yeah he's got the roots...don't think he'll lose'm

liked the fact that his novo/fano guitar reversed matched the pedal...green/pink..nice aesthetic coincidence!! haha

blue sparkle next huh...wow!

keep doin it t!

cheers

– neatone

thanks Neatone! The Pink was fun we did 25. Gonna do 50 in the ice blue

Register Sign in to join the conversation