Pedals

Reeeeeeeeeverb #2

Rather than resurrect an older post on a reverb quest, I'm starting a new one; seems easier. Before disclosing the result of the quest, I must say thanks to the other members who offered their great advice, especially Proteus, who I knew would have some insights into the mysterious world of this murky subject. Now that I think about it, I'll find the old thread and post a link.

I didn't really need spring reverb, so the criteria was simple, but sometimes simple is not easy, and it took a while to find a reverb pedal that met my needs. In no particular order: [1] smallish (normal single pedal size) [2] warm sound with character [3] no artificial sounding modulation, shimmer, etc., and certainly, no modulation of any kind engineered into the basic reverb sound that couldn't be dialed out [4] parameters for time (decay, length, etc.), frequency adjustment or 'tone', and mix [5] can do ambient or subtle

The winner was the Catlinbread Talisman. It is a plate simulator, based on the famous EMT 140 plate used in larger recording studios throughout the late 60s and 70s. For this pedal, Catlinbread actually used the seven foot plate reverb from Jackpot Studios in Portland as a model.

It has five knobs: Time, Predelay, Mix, and a very useful high frequency bypass, which seems to change the size of the 'room', or plate, in this case. As the size and frequency range of the reverb is cut, more decay time can be dialed in; the two controls are interactive and seem to work very well together, and they're simple to use; intuitive, as they say. It also has a preamp in the pedal which can boost the overall signal in front of the amp. It runs on 9 to 18 volts and sounds like a million bucks. Well, as good or better than my old dying Lexicons anyway.

Rather than me trying to put a demo together, here's a link to a good one from Andy, who always does great gear demos.

Register Sign in to join the conversation