Pedals

Let’s Talk Trem!

The on board bias vari tube trem in my DeLisle Nickel Box is outstanding. You can also get it, tube and all in pedal form from DeLisle. As far as pedals, can't beat the Strymon Flint (I wish they made a version that was less $$$ w/o the reverb). The aforementioned Surfy Bears are great also.

I agree re Strymon. Wouldn't it be good to get the reverb and tremolo separately in smaller boxes? I suspect that both effects are run off the same sharc chip so it doesn't make sense to split them. I do like some Strymon gear but wish it was smaller. I'm sure it could be. The boxes could be half the height and still hold everything.

But the Flint is still hard to beat.

To me it makes little sense to build an outboard tube bias-vary trem because the whole point is that it works on the bias circuit of the amp - that's why it sounds as lush as it does. If you want a stand-alone pedal then the Flint is going to be just as good if not better because it doesn't need tubes and is potentially quieter. A stand-alone tube pedal won't affect the bias of the amp.

The old Area 51 bias-vary tremolo was a unit you built into the amp and it did indeed work on the amp's bias circuit. It used a 12ax7 tube running off the amp's B+. It was based on the old Fender circuits - the Vibroverb I think.

I love to have trem on my amps. Love the fender roach trem. Nice n choppy. Bias vary is great too. I had harmonic trem on a bandmaster but i usually used the other channel as it seemed to thin out the tone. Thought it was just my amp - Ive since read BIlly Zoom explain the reason in relation to his brown concert.

I thought the strymon trem was great but it did something to my overall tone I didn’t like. Especially with the fuzz in front

I agree re Strymon. Wouldn't it be good to get the reverb and tremolo separately in smaller boxes? I suspect that both effects are run off the same sharc chip so it doesn't make sense to split them. I do like some Strymon gear but wish it was smaller. I'm sure it could be. The boxes could be half the height and still hold everything.

But the Flint is still hard to beat.

To me it makes little sense to build an outboard tube bias-vary trem because the whole point is that it works on the bias circuit of the amp - that's why it sounds as lush as it does. If you want a stand-alone pedal then the Flint is going to be just as good if not better because it doesn't need tubes and is potentially quieter. A stand-alone tube pedal won't affect the bias of the amp.

The old Area 51 bias-vary tremolo was a unit you built into the amp and it did indeed work on the amp's bias circuit. It used a 12ax7 tube running off the amp's B+. It was based on the old Fender circuits - the Vibroverb I think.

– JimmyR

My old big box Swamp Thang is about twice the size of a Strymon pedal...so impractical...tall too!

I can't help but comment on a trem thread, I love it. I generally prefer these effects in amps, sound so deep and lush. In my case I use tweed amps and don't have trem so I have used several trem pedals and the one that really hit the spot with me is the keeley verb o trem, nice to have verb in the same pedal because my amp doesn't have reverb either. There is bias trem, magnatone vibe, and harmonic trem settings. i'm not sure what these are modeled after beyond what's stated above but it really nails the sound for me. I really like the harmonic trem setting, the swirling pitch shift is slightly subdued compared to other similar harmonic trems and I really liked that, trem with just a slight swirling pitch shifting vibrato. Here it is with my tweed princeton.

I have modded my twin reverb into a bias trem and indeed sounds fantastic. I also am building an outboard tremolo and reverb on my own tweed pro build. I anticipated this by drilling an extra hole fo an 8 pin connector for connecting that box. The trem oscillator will be solid state using an Lnd150 HV fet

Does anyone here remember (or still have) a Peavey Valverb rack- mounted mains powered reverb and tremolo unit? Years ago I passed up the opportunity to buy one of these and have been kicking myself ever since. I've no idea what was under the hood but it sounded great to me at the time and was also a particularly groovy bit of kit, matching the control panels of the Classic 30 and 50 amps. Maybe the fact that it was a rack- mounted unit put people off -- you didn't see many of them in the UK.

I have had one of those, Dave. I really liked the sound but was using a Laney VC30 at the time which had the controls on top. So it didn't sit well on the amp and never found its way in my rig. It was a real tube-driven spring reverb but I have no idea of the type of trem.

I have a couple of Victoria amps with built-in trem, and they sound awesome. The only problem is the amps are usually too loud for my needs. For most shows, I use a 5E3 tweed deluxe amp. When using that setup, nothing comes close to a Strymon Flint.

In my early days of guitar playing in the 90s, I really wanted a trem pedal. My first solid state amp had chorus, then moved to a used Peavey hybrid amp with phaser but again no trem.

I remember really wanting a Valverb mentioned above at a local used shop but it was out of my price range. Boss TR-2 was my go to for years. Even once I got a proper vintage Fender Super Reverb, the ticking in the tremolo made me stick with my pedal most of the time.

Last year I got a Strymon Mobius which has a fantastic harmonic tremolo as well as other types. The Boss has finally been retired after 20 good years.

Register Sign in to join the conversation