Pedals

Here’s a can of worms to chew on: what’s your favorite Overdrive?

3 Spd. with a Borg Warner O.D. in my 1941 Dodge Hemi Coupe. Thanks John

MY favorites?

1. The Chandler Tube Driver (the predecessor to the Real Tube dirt boxes), that used an actual 12AX7 - I used that pedal, with amps that were both lacking in clipping capabilities, and as my soloing tone from 1987 (shortly before I graduated from college), until 2000, when I sold it due to a money shortage brought on by me being foolish enough to lend a former friend several hundred dollars that she never did pay me back (despite promises to the contrary).

1. DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 - these are nowhere near as common as they used to be when in the late 70s & early 80s. Mine was great for medium gain 70s tones, and was a wonderful clean boost into an amp for even more dirt. Years ago on this forum, when I linked some sound files of me demonstrating Charlotte, my first Country Club (it was a 2003), the dirtiest guitar parts were done with a Carvin X60 tube amp, through the high gain channel, with my DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 to really dish out the grind. I kick myself for getting rid of that pedal, but like the Chandler Tube Drive I used to have, I have no need for another dirt pedal, due to my amps high gain channels giving me more than enough dirt, without using a dirt box.

Charlotte - my first Gretsch Country Club

It's been years that I've been using Electro-Harmonix Nano Muff. But, I wanted to try something new. I was choosing among these options.

Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini is now in the family :) it gives me exactly the sound I was looking for! I've already used it for recording, does its job very well. And it's soo small, I love its compact design.

MY favorites?

1. The Chandler Tube Driver (the predecessor to the Real Tube dirt boxes), that used an actual 12AX7 - I used that pedal, with amps that were both lacking in clipping capabilities, and as my soloing tone from 1987 (shortly before I graduated from college), until 2000, when I sold it due to a money shortage brought on by me being foolish enough to lend a former friend several hundred dollars that she never did pay me back (despite promises to the contrary).

1. DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 - these are nowhere near as common as they used to be when in the late 70s & early 80s. Mine was great for medium gain 70s tones, and was a wonderful clean boost into an amp for even more dirt. Years ago on this forum, when I linked some sound files of me demonstrating Charlotte, my first Country Club (it was a 2003), the dirtiest guitar parts were done with a Carvin X60 tube amp, through the high gain channel, with my DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 to really dish out the grind. I kick myself for getting rid of that pedal, but like the Chandler Tube Drive I used to have, I have no need for another dirt pedal, due to my amps high gain channels giving me more than enough dirt, without using a dirt box.

Charlotte - my first Gretsch Country Club

– EllenGtrGrl

Ah... the Eric Johnson pedal LOL. Chandler Tube Driver. BK Butler is now making them himself, and improved. I have never owned one, and always "threaten" to buy one, just TO SEE WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT, but I never seem to pull the trigger...

https://butleraudio.com

Register Sign in to join the conversation