Pedals

Here’s a can of worms to chew on: what’s your favorite Overdrive?

and the Angry Charlie IS an original design

It's angry, though, I guess.

– Proteus

haha well, first he made the "Charlie Brown", which I think was supposed to be the "brown sound" of EVH maybe? Then he did the Angry Charlie which is supposed to be more of an 80s thing- hot-rodded Marshall JCM800. The Angry Charlie is considered to be one of the best Marshall-in-a-box (MIAB) pedals ever made. It's not PLEXI Marshall, but the later JCM800 era, a little higher gain than EVH, smoother.

If ya'll want to pass around a community DC Fluid Drive, to test drive for a week then pass around to another to try. I'm down with that because I built the gawldamn thing for you semi and hollowbody gretschy filter-dyna monkeys.

The pedal hasnt really become a staple. I of course am biased as I have it in the fx loop of my mysterybrain (and why the MB has an effects loop between the end of the brain preamp and the beginning of the echoplex preamp at the front end of the echo circuit.) When I finally finished it, I thought for sure that anyone who used a brain preamp or like boost/ pre (otter put my preamps in an overdrive catagory but they are not in that camp, they ez preampzz)

You know I've always been in love w my TIM pedal, not the timmy and yes they sound and feel different if you are a stacker. I am a professional stacker. So the TIM and Barber Burn Unit are and always will be the most perfectly married stacking duo for a gretsch filterton freak running through clean fender. The Barber has to be tweaked to heck though to keep it from feeling too much like a tubescreamer deluxe, the low end has to be opened up and set asymmetric, yada. So the Dc Fluid Drive was bornedddd. If you have a plank, turn the bass control backwards from 1 oclock. If you are a hollow head, keep west of 2 oclock and the lows stay open, almost clean. Even more control when there is a preamp/boost in front of it or another drive box say like my Mythical Overdrive or sweet little Barber Buss.

anyway just an idearr as my aussie grandma would say.

That Mythical OD is awesome, I've got one, "vintage spec"

That Mythical OD is awesome, I've got one, "vintage spec"

– ruger9

I clipped out the 1n34 and put one of the D9E russian germaniums I use in the Jr Barnyard. It feels better since I gretsch more than I tele

I clipped out the 1n34 and put one of the D9E russian germaniums I use in the Jr Barnyard. It feels better since I gretsch more than I tele

– TheNocturneBrain

That's what I have: my toggle goes between the 1n34 and the D9E.

I also had a Barber BUSS for a quick minute, but I preferred my Barber Small Fry, so the BUSS didn't hang around long.

The problem with JHS pedals is that they are horribly overpriced for what they are: basic clones of classic pedals, without (IMO) the thoughtful optimization you get from some other "boutique" builders. With JHS, I don't think you're getting any better designs than you'd get with Mooer, or from the "classics" that he copies.

That said, the Morning Glory is a Bluesbreaker, not a Blues Driver, so you should expect it to sound quite a bit smoother, rounder than the Boss. The Morning Glory, circuit wise, compares to the King of Tone, Snouse Black Box, Keeley 1962, Wampler Pantheon, etc. The Bluesbreaker circuit so far is the one I get along with least; it's too smooth, too light. For some reason, I've ended up with a bunch of them. I'd be happy to let you borrow one and see if you like it.

– Otter

Correct, the Glory is indeed a Breaker,not a Driver,my bad.

I understand the JHS critiques, but I’ve been hmming and hawing about a JHS @ since I played a beat up Angry Charlie about a year ago. I have no interest in high gain, but it gave the thickest warmest sound I’ve ever heard. With the guitar volume rolled down it was just amazing growl, and then I could pull the volume up to dial in big warm feedback at any point. It was quite impressive.

Looks like the v2, v3 and then the @ (and @ +) are all nice iterations on the original design.

I understand the JHS critiques, but I’ve been hmming and hawing about a JHS @ since I played a beat up Angry Charlie about a year ago. I have no interest in high gain, but it gave the thickest warmest sound I’ve ever heard. With the guitar volume rolled down it was just amazing growl, and then I could pull the volume up to dial in big warm feedback at any point. It was quite impressive.

Looks like the v2, v3 and then the @ (and @ +) are all nice iterations on the original design.

– jalexanderdixon

Just FYI....

I own an @. I bought the @+, thinking to replace the @. The @+ is brighter, IDK if he tweaked it or if it's just the addition of the boost circuit that's causing it, but the @+ I had (it was new), was not as warm/thick as the old beat up @ I have. And it wasn't close- I returned the @+ the same day I received it.

I was actually thinking of trying the Angry Charlie v3, to see if the added control over bass and mids is something I would like...

Laycock de Normanville...no contest!

Angry Charlie IS an original design- it's not a clone of anything.

Angry Charlie is a MI Audio Crunch Box

Just FYI....

I own an @. I bought the @+, thinking to replace the @. The @+ is brighter, IDK if he tweaked it or if it's just the addition of the boost circuit that's causing it, but the @+ I had (it was new), was not as warm/thick as the old beat up @ I have. And it wasn't close- I returned the @+ the same day I received it.

I was actually thinking of trying the Angry Charlie v3, to see if the added control over bass and mids is something I would like...

– ruger9

Good to know! It was that warmth that I loved especially as I play bright guitars and amps. I even find my Box of Rock too trebly for my taste.

Just FYI....

– ruger9

Good to know! It was that warmth that I loved especially as I play bright guitars and amps. I even find my Box of Rock too trebly for my taste.

When I play the Gretsch or Spectra-Sonic through my VOX amps, the Crowther Hotcake is indispensable. It really opens up the sound in a magical way. I also have a Woodcutter RAT and treble booster on board but the Hotcake is my go to.

Still hunting for the best overdrive for my Allen Hot Blond (Bassman) currently I'm using a Fulltone 2B just to boost it..

Angry Charlie IS an original design- it's not a clone of anything.

Angry Charlie is a MI Audio Crunch Box

– Otter

I did some digging. The Angry Charlie isn't a clone, but it is "based on" the Crunch Box. But the the Crunch Box is "based on" the Marshall Guv'nor. Seems like almost everything is based on something these days... until you get all the way back to the first Tube Screamer.

try the Guvnor 2. it's a very underrated box with a wide variety of gain and truly wonderful multi-band EQ implemented with stacked pots. i sold the two i owned in the Great Gear Purge/Hejira, and really want to find one again. FWIW they were first built in India (!) and later in China; the India-made ones are a bit better if you have the choice. since they were discontinued some time ago and weren't exactly a hit, they're cheap as chips.

I revamped my main guitar pedalboard and bass pedalboard, along with creating a new secondary (smaller, gigging) guitar pedalboard.

Main guitar pedalboard with two new OD acquisitions: a used Nocturne Detroit Casket (now Fluid Drive) and a new Electro-Harmonix East River Drive. I'm super happy with both and they play nice with my other pedals on this board. Other new pedals I'll mention in a different thread.

On my secondary guitar pedalboard, which consists mostly my Fender pedals, the OD pedal is the Fender Santa Ana Overdrive. I've been happy with most of these new Fender pedals, with the exception of the Mirror Image Delay.

Here's the bass pedalboard. The OD pedals are the Electro-Harmonix Bass Muff and Wampler's The Low Blow. The aforementioned Fender Image Delay has been relegated to my bass pedalboard for now (until I sell it at some point and replace it with something else).

Laycock De Normanville, when they work!

Ya to that, $675 for an od transmission delivered from Aberdeen Scotland with $600 in parts plus labor to go and it is just an MG.

Ah but MGs are so cool, it'll be worth it. They're the only old British sports car I can fit in properly, you're practically lying on the ground in them.

Oh please! I'm 6'3", 260lbs and I drive a Sprite!

Oh sure but a Sprite has 10,000ft of headroom!

I’m 6ft2, 180lbs and find I don’t fit in most English sports cars. Got danged long legs.

I owned a frog eyed sprite in the 70s. Spent more time pushing it then driving it.

This is my absolute favorite Nocturne Fluid Drive:

Funny that this thread popped up again because I finally found a deal on an @+. We’ll see if it’s too bright like ruger9’s was. Having watched the Angry Charlie, @, and @+ market for some time, this was the cheapest I’ve found any of them so if I’m not happy I can move it along.

I don't have a favorite pedal but need one to overdrive my 1965 Gibson GA77RVT. Or I need a set of blackplate 6L6s. Any suggestions?

Car wise I am 6' 175 pounds, have owned '72 and '73 Midgets two '78 MGBs a '69 Triumph GT6+ and two 1978 SAAB 99 Turbos but this is my last car so I am doing it right. Engine rebuild to about 110 hp, a rebuilt 1973 overdrive transmission, Bilstein shock conversion from Moss, RV8 brakes, a hardtop and more. I even found a set of ARE Libras for it. Finally, after two years in storage it goes back together this spring. Guitars are cheaper and easier to work on.

Register Sign in to join the conversation