Pedals

Compressor Primer with Origin Effects’ designer

Whether you're a compressor junkie or a novice, this series of short videos will be well worth your time.

Simon Keats is nothing short of a brilliant pedal-meister, who made Origin's reputation with a loving, uncompromising, and uncanny recreation of the Urei/Universal Audio 1176 rack compressor in a pedal. The original Origin Cali76 TX-L was quickly embraced as a kind of impossible dream realized, but it was big and expensive.

His second generation Cali76 Compact Deluxe, according to most players who know both pedals, packs about 90% of its big brother's voodoo into a pedal 1/3 the size and price. It's still pricey for a compressor, but well worth the change.

Next, Keats...well, see "Second Chapter," at the end of this post, for that digression.

This is about the compressor videos. First, it's a pleasure for me to see and hear Simon Keats, one of my pedal heroes.

But the great thing is how clearly and neatly he goes through all compressor parameters, discussing basic principles, explaining how to set them for what purpose, and demonstrating them effectively on guitar. The man who built it is not always the best guy to explain something, but Simon does a good job of going easy on the technical details in favor of practical application.

Since I have one, it's great for me that he does all this with the Cali76 Compact, because its range of control means it takes some attention to dial in. But everything he says applies equally to other compressors as well.

I've seen lots of people try to explain and demonstrate compressors: this is the best I've seen. You'll learn something useful for sure!

https://reverb.com/news/vid...

Origin Effects' Second Chapter

After nailing the 1176, Keats went on a mad mission to build an overdrive with tube amp characteristics - by re-creating every component of a tube amp in solid state, then doubling the circuit and building it into Origin's Revival Drive dual-channel OD.

It's an insult to call the result a "dirt pedal," as it provides exquisite control over every shade of preampy AND power-ampy detail. It's also big(ish) - and pricey for a dirt pedal - but like all of Origin's gear, it's built solid, tough, proud, and handsome, with weight and presence that reeks with quality. Whether it achieves its goal is a little beside the point (for my too-much-money-for-dirt, it gets scarily close): the point is that Keats went further down that particular rabbit-hole than pretty much anyone ever has, with a fierce and unbending dedication to getting it right.

Every time I look at my main board - where it holds pride of place on the left corner of the bottom row, balancing the I-still-can't-let-it-go orange eminence of the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Deluxe in the right corner - I ask myself if, beautiful as it is, if it's really worth the space, weight, and price. Then I stomp on it, and there it stays.

Somewhat of a tangent here, going off on the virtues of Origin Effects' products: they just build stuff you somehow feel it's a privilege to own. Nuff said about that.

I will definitely watch this. I have never owned a compressor and have never really understood what they do in practice beyond the basic concept.

agree...origen effects is current top of line compressor manufacturer

started using a compressor with the original dan armstrong plug into your guitar orange squeezer...never stopped using them since...

got an rnc early on...been plugged in for about 2 decades now..never shut off!! texas made!

cheers

got an rnc early on...been plugged in for about 2 decades now..never shut off!!

Ha! Hilarious. I have two RNCs in my the mini-rack that survived studio downsizing. They've also been on for about that long. No power switches, the only thing in the rack that stays up.

got an rnc early on...been plugged in for about 2 decades now..never shut off!!

Ha! Hilarious. I have two RNCs in my the mini-rack that survived studio downsizing. They've also been on for about that long. No power switches, the only thing in the rack that stays up.

– Proteus

exactly!!! fmr audio..one of the best ever!

always wanted their arc (kinda) comp pedal..never got..drats...you?

cheers

Simon Keats explains the interface so well. Without studio experience, for most folks Attack, Release and Ratio might as well be heiroglyphs, and many of us have bluffed our understanding at some point or another if we're completely honest.

I like the idea of the Boss CX1. You described it once as an automatic transmission. As someone who frequently plays single lines, chords, fingerpicking, strumming, in a single song I'd probably appreciate its Torquflite ability to always pick the right gear (Ratio? Oh, ma sides!) whatever goes in the front.

You seem to be thoroughly enjoying the new Pedal Annexe, Tim. Great to see.

Thanks, will check out the videos. I have the Cali76 Compact but apparently haven't spent enough time tweaking it. It is a great compressor but I keep going back to my simpler Diamond compressor with only three knobs.

Register Sign in to join the conversation