Pedals

Do Reissues Suck?

the style of switching from pedal to pedal used here makes it tricky to get a complete idea of the similarities/differences of the pedals, especially when he hits one chord on the phaser and immediately switches to the other so you never actually hear either for a full phrase. i've seen tricks like this in gear videos for years, and you have to read through them and compare to other demos. i also don't care much for his insistence that e.g. the Tube Screamers sound EXACTLY THE SAME when even with the quick switching i can hear a difference on my cell phone. we must remember that JHS makes their crust by "re-issuing" other people's designs and expect folks to argue in their own interests.

that said, the greater point is valid. i don't really care about commercial overdrives with chips in them, but anybody with courage and a soldering iron can, upon finding the correct components, build a Fuzz Face or Tone Bender that's functionally identical to a vintage unit. it's finding the components that can be a challenge. and there's literally an entire industry built upon people doing tweaks on classic designs which range from boring to brilliant. can reissue guitars be as good as vintage, or do reissues suck? in what specific instance?

Haven’t watched this one yet, but I do watch these every week. I can guess where he’ll land based on past videos.

Josh has been a controversial character in the industry, but controversies aside: - I’ve liked the JHS pedals I’ve played

• His videos give coverage to a lot of builders and he’s pretty much positive about everything (he seems to emphasize what a given pedal can do rather than evaluating its ability to do what it claims to do)
  • He’s obsessive about vintage gear and highlights minutiae of the stuff he’s passionate about
  • He’s also not a total slob and sings the virtues of many budget pedals.

Cool video, thanks for sharing it! I guess they still "make them like that" anymore!

Another fan of Josh. I actually own a couple of his pedals now. I came late,very late to the pedal scene as I always just used a tube amp with a little reverb. Mainly because back in the day those "vintage pedals" had a tendency to suck the tone out of your instrument. I'll take either the true bypass or buffered modern ones any day, or a modded vintage. His knowledge of pedals is pretty extensive,far more than my own, and he doesn't take himself to serious. Learned a lot from his channel.

For all the reasons Josh enumerated, reissues don’t suck.

They’re just not very interesting to me. We live in a golden age of pedal creativity and invention, and I love all the new stuff.

The classics became the classics by boldly going where no sound had gone before. I’m still on board with that intention, and not overly attached to the sonically worn-out husks of vehicles past.

Whatever works for you. Pedals got a little better and handier, which is nice. Smaller, quieter, etc...

two things though : dude's in the business of selling brand new pedals, and there's no univibe, EH memory man or Echoplex in his "shootout".

Notice he didn't show original ts 808 big difference or ad80 original or the mxr all of the. 1973 original very different.

Notice he didn't show original ts 808 big difference or ad80 original or the mxr all of the. 1973 original very different.

– Pedalhead

I am one of the few people here on the GDP who likes Tubescreamers generally. I've had quite a few over the years. So you are saying the difference between vintage and reissue 808 is big while with the TS9 Josh shows is not?

The vintages TSs I played mostly sounded great but varied a lot from each other. I never noticed that old equals better.

I love the older big box EH Deluxe Memory Man, though. It's the most organic and musical delay/echo I know and nothing else came close so far. The new versions sound good but different to me. I never played a TT1100 version, that has my interest but it's >300 €/$.

Like Sascha, I do enjoy a good TS. Personally, I believe my Maxon OD9 to be the best of its kind that I have come across. In this case, the circuitry is a slightly upgraded version of the orginal TS (which BTW was made for Ibanez by Maxon). This to me, is the perfect argument that while "older" is not necessarily better, the "original" circuitry that we all cut our teeth on, and that invariably continues to be used as basic templates for new pedals, tends to continue to define what our ears tell us is "best".

Doesn't ruffle my feathers, and I love vintage tones. Most praise or critiques of music I write is that it sounds like it came right out of the late sixties, early seventies, but I don't have one single vintage pedal on any of my pedal boards. The new ones sound fine to me. And most of them are quieter than the originals. And like Tim said, it's better looking for pedals that break new ground. I crack up at the prices of vintage pedals, every time I see one for sale at a ridiculous price, the PT Barnum phrase, there's a sucker born every minute, dances around in my brain.

The main pedals on my work board which I use daily are... Tapestry Bloomery Volume, Wazacraft TU3 tuner, Grace Alix Preamp, and a Keeley Delay Workstation.

On my other boards I use Fulldrive III and Tapestry Fab Suisse Overdrives, Empress Para EQ, Dr Scientist Reverberator and JHS Springtank reverbs, and Boss RE20 and DOD Rubberneck Delays, and a MXR Studio Bass compressor. So as you can see, not a vintage pedal in the lot.

Register Sign in to join the conversation