Pedals

Boss delay

I have the Alter Ego, and it's the be-all and end-all for my needs. I really only use the Echorec and Echoplex simulators, the looper, and a few of the TonePrints, but that's enough for me. I sold my Boss DD-5, which I never liked, and I gave away my pre-tap tempo Tech 21 Boost when I got it.

I always liked the old blue Digitech delays for sound quality, too. I haven't seen one of those in quite a while.

I have the Alter Ego, and it's the be-all and end-all for my needs. I really only use the Echorec and Echoplex simulators, the looper, and a few of the TonePrints, but that's enough for me. I sold my Boss DD-5, which I never liked, and I gave away my pre-tap tempo Tech 21 Boost when I got it.

I always liked the old blue Digitech delays for sound quality, too. I haven't seen one of those in quite a while.

– seadevil

I've always worried that the chorus/warble on the Alter Ego might bug me. Is it easy to get rid of?

I've always worried that the chorus/warble on the Alter Ego might bug me. Is it easy to get rid of?

– Vince_Ray

No. It's preset on each tone print. You'd have to use a tone print that has no modulation (like BDM2), or one that had very little (like CKAT). There IS NO "control" over the mod on the Alter Egos, unless you use the tone print app/software, which... no thanks. Too big a PITA.

No. It's preset on each tone print. You'd have to use a tone print that has no modulation (like BDM2), or one that had very little (like CKAT). There IS NO "control" over the mod on the Alter Egos, unless you use the tone print app/software, which... no thanks. Too big a PITA.

– ruger9

Thanks for the info, I was wo dering if you'd adjusted it with the software, or removed the chorus. I guess it's doable

Apart from the fact that it seems I need to download the toneprint software every time I want to use it I like the toneprint concept. It's not something I use a great deal but when I do it's fun. I only rarely like modulation on anything so the Alter Ego is not for me.

The toneprint thing has been quite helpful with the Flashback mini. It stops it being something you just sell if it doesn't suit you, and I think that's an under-rated feature. I've set it up with different sounds over the years as needs change. The basic TC digital delay sound is solid and hard to go wrong with. For something that you can sometimes buy for $50 it's incredible. In less than the time it takes to buy a new delay and sell your old one you can have a new delay with what you already have. Cheaper too.

Apologies for further derailing this thread, but the TonePrints available for the Alter Ego don't appear to have changed for several years. It would be a more attractive feature if they updated them occasionally.

Flash back mini sounding more attractive all the time

Seadevil I don't really pay much attention to the toneprint selection but what I have done a few times is download a toneprint close to what I wanted and tweaked it a little with the editor. The editor is not fantastic but I have been able to use it to do basic stuff like adjust the tone of repeats, add modulation or not, that kinda thing. You could probably use regular Flashback toneprints on the Alter Ego couldn't you?

My big bug bear is that most delays mess up your base tone a lot. Even Strymon seem to "dry out" the base tone a little. The TC Flashback, if anything, seems to add some punch, but overall I find it quite neutral. Then you can shape the delays (or not) how you like. For slapback the regular TC 2290 delay sound is as good as it gets for me. The analog setting is great too. A lot of real analogs, like the Carbon Copy, have a grainy, thin repeat which I really don't like.

I was hunting a delay to use as a back up for my space echo (though it's almost never failed me) and to use at quieter rehearsal where I want to take less boxes. I bought a used Boss DM2W thinking I wanted to go analog but compared to my RE-150 the 'vintage' setting was too muddy and so I used it on the more modern cleaner setting and even that wasn't as clear as my space echo. So I sold it. Recently I bought a DD3 for $60 Can and it's pretty good but a bit too crisp. I might try the mod of a cap across the effect level pot (I think) to bleed a bit of top end to ground to warm it up a little. I do find that the echo speed pot is wired backwards to what I'm used to. Otherwise it's pretty good and will likely be better with a bit of the digital top end taken off.

Apologies for further derailing this thread, but the TonePrints available for the Alter Ego don't appear to have changed for several years. It would be a more attractive feature if they updated them occasionally.

– seadevil

Not really... there are SO MANY on the app, you could never use them all. There's easily over 100.

Flash back mini sounding more attractive all the time

– Vince_Ray

I'll say this, regarding the tone print tech: the app is convenient. It allows to to browse and upload tone prints very easily (it's wireless: you actually hold the phone up to you pickup, and it "beams" the data to the pedal. ) This is provided the phone/OS you have works with the TP app. Mine still does, it's a 5SE, but there have been moments between updates when the app wouldn't work properly.

As for the tone print program for the computer, it's quite in-depth, I did use it, it does work, but it's just way too much trouble to bother with. Unless you want, for example, "YOUR perfect slapback", so you use the program ONCE, load it into the pedal, and be done with it.

I was hunting a delay to use as a back up for my space echo (though it's almost never failed me) and to use at quieter rehearsal where I want to take less boxes. I bought a used Boss DM2W thinking I wanted to go analog but compared to my RE-150 the 'vintage' setting was too muddy and so I used it on the more modern cleaner setting and even that wasn't as clear as my space echo. So I sold it. Recently I bought a DD3 for $60 Can and it's pretty good but a bit too crisp. I might try the mod of a cap across the effect level pot (I think) to bleed a bit of top end to ground to warm it up a little. I do find that the echo speed pot is wired backwards to what I'm used to. Otherwise it's pretty good and will likely be better with a bit of the digital top end taken off.

– Toxophilite

The only other pedal that sound like the Space Echo, besides a TC tone print or the Boss RE-20, is the Nux Tape Core. I owned one, it's the real deal, I did have to re-EQ with it's software, but only the one time. And that's the only way to EQ it. That's what is so cool about the RE-20 (despite it's size), everything to tailor the echoes is right there on top of the pedal. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of the whole "buy-pedal-then-use-software-to-program-it" thing. Just give me a pedal with knobs. I like simple.

https://www.premierguitar.c...

The only other pedal that sound like the Space Echo, besides a TC tone print or the Boss RE-20, is the Nux Tape Core. I owned one, it's the real deal, I did have to re-EQ with it's software, but only the one time. And that's the only way to EQ it. That's what is so cool about the RE-20 (despite it's size), everything to tailor the echoes is right there on top of the pedal. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of the whole "buy-pedal-then-use-software-to-program-it" thing. Just give me a pedal with knobs. I like simple.

https://www.premierguitar.c...

– ruger9

I was curious about that Nux, what did you have to do to the EQ? Totally agree about the software, too much time is lost to messin' with software on everyday life. Plus I like to plug a pedal in and at loud at a rehearsal, gig or recording to decide if it's working for me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation