Pedals

Boss delay

I keep changing my mind if I need a delay. but this time it stays for good.

All I use is Boss trem, vibrato, with a Holy Grail Nano reverb mounted up on the amp. I have the Waza reissue vibrato which is cool, and the old standby TR-2 trem pedal.

I have had DD-2 and DD-3 and had one of the old DM-2s. Not going for an oldie this time. I have seen DD-3 as little as $65 but Waza reissue of the old one for twice that amount. Which would you get? I only use slapback.

I am a Boss loyalist,so it will be one of those 3.

I go against the "not going for an oldie" thing. Nothing like an old DM-2(I have five of them )

How about the Waza DM2? I have all the pedals you have, except for the DD2.

Side by side, I can't distinguish which is Waza and the original DM2. And as an added bonus, the longer delay time for Waza rocks.

The Waza DM-2 is the only Boss pedal I own. Partly because the original DM-2 was the first pedal I ever bought, and partly because i really like the sound of the Waza DM-2. It makes an excellent slapback delay, probably better than the digital ones.

In fact if I was to buy a Boss delay for slapback it would definitely be the Waza DM-2. I like the modern setting.

I had just wondered if the Waza was really 2x as good as the DD-3 -- since it currently costs twiice as much used. Since I am just an occasional slapback user guess I will just troll for a $65 DD-3. Maybe I am clueless but I had a clean old DM-2 and did not see how it kicked a** all over the DDs. Simpler tho -- DDs have too much stuff on them.

My DM2 went on the blink. I miss it and will try it out again today. Wonder if fixing is hard or not?

Also dug out a sleeper recently.. Wasabi Rock a Bye. Really nice delay and an overdrive all in one

I swapped a broken Kustom 15watt amp for a DOD analog delay in the early '90's and haven't had the need for anything else. I've never found a wall adapter for it and it does eat 9V's.

I had just wondered if the Waza was really 2x as good as the DD-3 -- since it currently costs twiice as much used. Since I am just an occasional slapback user guess I will just troll for a $65 DD-3. Maybe I am clueless but I had a clean old DM-2 and did not see how it kicked a** all over the DDs. Simpler tho -- DDs have too much stuff on them.

– DCBirdMan

DD3 works well as a slapback. I just prefer the DD3 clean slapback over the Waza DM2. Scotty Moore prefers a DD3 with a Boss Chorus sometime in his career. Les Paul have two DD3s on his pedalboard.

You won't regret it.

If price is a consideration then I would steer you towards the TC Flashback. Outstanding for the $$ and one of the best buffers out there - no tone suck with the Flashback. Best bang for buck delay available.

Also dug out a sleeper recently.. Wasabi Rock a Bye. Really nice delay and an overdrive all in one

– Vince_Ray

Vince,

I have a love/hate thingy with the Wasabi Rock A Bye. Had one and never liked it and sold it. Then I got the chance to buy one cheap and bought it. Maybe, at the back of my mind— I got a dud on the first one.

Still didn't like it. It's hard to get a fast slapback and the OD/Boost sounds like a broken speaker. The metal casing rocks though. The boost switch at the back depending what pickup you have, is a good concept back then.

I'll give it a try again this week.

Vince,

I have a love/hate thingy with the Wasabi Rock A Bye. Had one and never liked it and sold it. Then I got the chance to buy one cheap and bought it. Maybe, at the back of my mind— I got a dud on the first one.

Still didn't like it. It's hard to get a fast slapback and the OD/Boost sounds like a broken speaker. The metal casing rocks though. The boost switch at the back depending what pickup you have, is a good concept back then.

I'll give it a try again this week.

– jetbunny

I knows what ya mean! Mine laid around the dusty pedal draw for years and then I tried it a couple of months ago and liked it. Maybe it's the amp, I dunno. The delay had just the right feel and maybe I don't like 'em too fast. I painted mine! Just wanted it to have that bare metal look.

DD3 works well as a slapback. I just prefer the DD3 clean slapback over the Waza DM2. Scotty Moore prefers a DD3 with a Boss Chorus sometime in his career. Les Paul have two DD3s on his pedalboard.

You won't regret it.

– jetbunny

Well your vote for DD3 on slapback over Waza DM 2 -- that's what goes down since I am Boss and Boss only. Often these are seen for $65 or so

A DD-3 will certainly do the trick if you're going for a quick slapback. Depends on how warm you want the repeats. If it's one quick slap 50-75ms after the dry signal, no problem. Anytime I'd try to use one and go over 100ms or multiple repeats, I notice the lack of warmth. But like stated earlier, they're inexpensive and they do the job, so...

" that's what goes down since I am Boss and Boss only."

How's that Boss Holy Grail Nano Reverb working out for you? Can't find it in the Boss catalog!

I think he's avoiding us Tim.

I've had a Fulltone TTE (changed my sound too much and was too warbly), Deluxe Memory Man (didn't like how the signal would clip so easily), and a Boss DM-2 (nice but just can't stand buffers) and my favourite delay is the Maxon AD-999. Never hear anyone talking about them...It'll do quite long dark delays but I just use it for slapback. Hands down my favourite delay. Its just something about how the delayed note sits with the original note tonally....no matter how high I turn the mix knob it doesn't get in the way.

I've had a Fulltone TTE (changed my sound too much and was too warbly), Deluxe Memory Man (didn't like how the signal would clip so easily), and a Boss DM-2 (nice but just can't stand buffers) and my favourite delay is the Maxon AD-999. Never hear anyone talking about them...It'll do quite long dark delays but I just use it for slapback. Hands down my favourite delay. Its just something about how the delayed note sits with the original note tonally....no matter how high I turn the mix knob it doesn't get in the way.

– tabletop

In my "2 week research project" that proceeded my actual purchase, the Maxon was one of those delays that seemed not to have a large presence in the market but I was very impressed and it landed in my top 5 of those that fell outside of the one I just bought..... Catalinbread Echorec.

The research was a ton of fun and with massive help from Proteus and others, learned about the world of delay pedals. It felt like I was a kid drafting a Christmas list.......I learned a lot.

Edit: I meant to give tabletop's post a "thumbs-up" but the finger got trigger happy after my post and gave myself one. No harm really but had to put it out there.

There's a lot of love for the old Boss DD-2. ALOT. Like "DM-2 vs DD-2" kinda' love. ALOT of guys think the DD-2 was perfection in a box. Brighter than the DM-2 of course, but still darker by today's digital delay standards.

My favorite Boss delay? (I own a DD-8, but it's for the cover band, just needed something bulletproof for the gig board).... the RE-20. My favorite Boss delay BY FAR, DESPITE the fact that it digitizes the dry signal.... I used to be really anal about that crap.... and then I just started listening with my ears instead of my brain. The RE-20, however it does what it does, is fantastic. A bit large for what it does, imo, but I can't deny the sound quality.

Qualifier: I recently owned a DM-2w, as well as a AD-9 (LOVE!, but HATE the Ibanez footswitch... I actually preferred the AD-9 to the DM-2w BY FAR). But even with that, the DIGITAL RE-20 is still my favorite Boss delay. It's just so SWEET sounding.

"no matter how high I turn the mix knob it doesn't get in the way."

Ibanez/Maxon. They are the only 2 delays I've owned that had that "quiet(er) first repeat" quality that is the hallmark of "doesn't get in the way". Mason AD-999/900 and Ibanez AD-9.

"no matter how high I turn the mix knob it doesn't get in the way."

Ibanez/Maxon. They are the only 2 delays I've owned that had that "quiet(er) first repeat" quality that is the hallmark of "doesn't get in the way". Mason AD-999/900 and Ibanez AD-9.

– ruger9

Took a listen to an AD-999 sample and the Maxon AD-9 Pro again. I found the link below after becoming curious and still reading thru some of the comments:

https://www.thegearpage.net...

I still have a Maxon AD999 and also have a Boss DM2-W. I have the Boss mainly for nostalgic reasons - the first pedal I ever bought was a brand new Boss DM-2 back when they were, well, brand new.

I like the Boss Waza DM-2 but don't use it much. I haven't used the Maxon in years. Right now on my board I have a home-made Deep Blue Delay and it's cool. Depending on the gig I would use the home brew DBD or the TC Mini-Flashback for slap-back, or if I needed more delay types I'd go the EBS Retracer Delay. That's one you don't hear much about but I rate it. It's programmable, small footprint, high quality sounds and does everything I need. It's not Strymon levels of gee-wizzery but I don't really need that. It has a good buffer, good sounds and is compact.

If money was tight TC wins every time. The mini-Flashback is just great.

I keep promising myself I'll go for a TC Electronics Alter Ego one day. Would be fun to hear all those classic echo variations. As I only ever use slap back, I'm not sure I need it

Register Sign in to join the conversation