Pedals

Behold! the lowly RAT

Yep! I love my R2DU

I’ve also got a mid 80’s regular RAT that has been my main stay for years.

– Setzer

2 rats in one?

Hey GaryE I cooked it up myself. Built it on vero, so I can post a vero layout if you're interested. I love building pedals but don't like to just copy other peoples designs. I like to change stuff around and there is almost always something you can do to make it suit yourself better - not always, but usually. I figure the manufacturers are trying to appeal to the broadest range of players with their designs so there is room to tweak for your own particular gear, style and taste.

For example I love to build Big Muffs but don't need the massive amounts of gain. So I remove a pair of the clipping diodes from my builds to make it less compressed and more vocal and responsive. Still sounds like a Muff, but it suits me better.

It's a lot of fun.

Two things always stopped me from using a Rat: the extreme amounts of gain and the lack of low end. Recently i found how to "cure" both of those things.

So I built my own version with a lot lower dirt levels, so now it's more of an overdrive capable of distortion levels of dirt rather than being an out and out distortion. And I have a bass pot to get just the right amount of grunt. Also used different diodes to make it a little more dynamic (well that was the plan anyway!) and now I have a 4-knob OD which has all the ferocity of a Rat but can be a bit more usable for me. It's still a little unsubtle but I like it and so does my Jet.

– JimmyR

Aint this what the ruetz mod is for????

https://www.diyguitaramp.co...

Modded RAT" photo RAT1.jpg

MIne has it (via toggle) and is way more versatile

Yeah kinda... My mod lowers the gain more and gives you a bass pot to get more low end wherever you want. It's based on the same part of the circuit as the Reutz mod. Plus I altered the treble cap to suit the new circuit. Mine's just a bit more involved than that.

A lot of BJF pedals are based on the Rat.

Yeah kinda... My mod lowers the gain more and gives you a bass pot to get more low end wherever you want. It's based on the same part of the circuit as the Reutz mod. Plus I altered the treble cap to suit the new circuit. Mine's just a bit more involved than that.

A lot of BJF pedals are based on the Rat.

– JimmyR

Yeah . I would be interested in seeing that Vero board circuit design for sure.

The RAT sounds better plugged into the PP2 and off the battery. Maybe it gooses it a bit more, maybe it’s just my imagination, running away with me.

Broad’trons in my Jet (6228 PE) sound amazing with the RAT (better than my 53 Duo-Jet w/ TV DeArmonds). More meat on the bones with the Broad’trons, I guess. It’s become my go to guitar for gain.

the ‘53 Vintage select is better for most everything else. Funny how the Broad’trons sound more Gretsch-like with the gain up.

It's a fat, simple sounding dirt box. Not "highly nuanced with complex mids and supreme touch responsiveness" but sometimes that's what you want! I like it.

It's a fat, simple sounding dirt box. Not "highly nuanced with complex mids and supreme touch responsiveness" but sometimes that's what you want! I like it.

– JimmyR

Thanks for posting this! I just might give it a go.

Register Sign in to join the conversation