Other Guitars

Yours for 150K

That is a beautiful, artful guitar. Whom ever purchases it will be a person who collects fine art, and hopefully plays the guitar

It will sell..."Crazy Rich Asians", or whatever that movie title was...

Looks like one of the tables at the Chinese restaurant nearby.

The scales on the back of the neck...there's a word joke in there somewhere.

Haven't seen that degree of detail on a guitar. Merle's were quite extensive but not to this degree. On a banjo yes, but not a guitar, especially a top of the line model, worth a lot to begin with.

I’m more prone to something like this. well, actually this.

Am I alone in thinking the guitar in the original eBay link is kind of hideous? I guess I can appreciate the craftmanship, but it is definitely not for me. The same seller has some terrifyingly bad looking Les Pauls (part of something called the "Crimson" (?) series) up for auction as well.

What does one do with a guitar like this? Look at it? All of this confirms my belief that there are a lot of folks out there in the world with a great deal more disposable income than me! Fascinating.

Incredible artisanship, but not really fine art for me. Pretty well trodden ground in terrms of motifs, regardless of how spectacularly executed they are. I doubt it's much of a guitar either, given the neck scales (no pun intended), so neither fish nor fowl - strictly my opinion, of course.

The top looks like some sort of hardwood so that it could be carved into. Given that it had to be thick enough to handle the carving in relief, it probably doesn't offer up much played acoustically. That said...there's no pickup that might save its usefulness by being electric. Basically it's a wall hanger display item that probably doesn't sound all that great. Sad that the builders lost sight of all that. They could have carved it out of marble at that point.

Pretty impressive, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it.

I’m more prone to something like this. well, actually this.

– Bob Howard

Oh, yes indeed. I love the over-the-top cowboy-kitch kind of guitars, usually of Southern California origins. But Guild's variation is outstanding.

The same seller has some terrifyingly bad looking Les Pauls (part of something called the "Crimson" (?) series) up for auction as well.

Yeah, some of them are pretty ugly. I don't care for the pastel finishes, and quite honestly, I don't like abalone inlay on any guitar. Mother of pearl is a much more elegant material. Which is why I really like one of his other offerings, this L-7 with still ornate, but considerably less gaudy inlay work:

Oh, yes indeed. I love the over-the-top cowboy-kitch kind of guitars, usually of Southern California origins. But Guild's variation is outstanding.

The same seller has some terrifyingly bad looking Les Pauls (part of something called the "Crimson" (?) series) up for auction as well.

Yeah, some of them are pretty ugly. I don't care for the pastel finishes, and quite honestly, I don't like abalone inlay on any guitar. Mother of pearl is a much more elegant material. Which is why I really like one of his other offerings, this L-7 with still ornate, but considerably less gaudy inlay work:

– Afire

Still ugly as sin with that grossly overdone fretboard. And I'm completely opposite regarding abalone. MOP looks cheap to me and most uses can't be distinguished from plastic. It reminds me too much of mother-of-toilet-seat. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh? Most all of these over done guitars I wouldn't own if money were no issue. I'm glad Chet never went in for these customizing exercises.

I'm reminded of Kevin Arnold driving around as a Chinese (food) delivery kid.

I wonder what scale length that neck is?

I guess someone will like it but it looks like the Hell's Angels Hong Kong branch ordered a guitar. It's hideous. Mind you I'm really not one for ornamentation in general... I like the form of the guitar to stand for itself. It may be heresy around here but I don't even like pinstriping - never saw the reason or desire for it.

A Super 400 is a beautiful guitar without all the frou-frou. An L5 is even more beautiful. And I like my unadorned 6120 best of all.

craft, not art. really good craft, though...it's like the ur-Antonio Tsai guitar. if i wanted something that blingy, though, i'd go for one of those Larson Brothers flat-tops.

I know that PRS is not the most favored guitar brand on this board but I think this was done way better and they're around 20K.

But wouldn't you feel like a dick playing that? Grrr!

Hmmm, the whole craft vs art thang? I suppose the real difference is that art stirs emotion in someone, and craft just kinda looks cool or crafty....

Pretty cool craftsmanship/art, but not my cup of oolong.

I'm glad Chet never went in for these customizing exercises.

Well...except for the fancy headstock, inlay, and mid-body binding on that SuperChet or SuperAxe, or howsoever it art yclept.

I'm glad someone does that stuff to guitars. The investment of time, craft, and artistry is meaningful in its own right, particularly to the artisan - and to anyone who agrees it is art, and/or has the disposable to dispose in its direction.

We gotta think the guy who poured so much time and effort into this demonstration of skill has also contributed in more tasteful measure (as defined by me, of course!) on other instruments we might all appreciate.

As the sole arbiter of good vs bad art in my world, I find the elegant shape and implied functionality of the Super 400 already as good as it gets; it only needs a degree of finish sufficient to complement the workmanship that went into the fundamental build, and no more bling than is needed to adorn and emphasize its functionality.

The carver's skills aside, the ornamentation on this 150K speculative investment (or tax writeoff for art patron) completely runs over and nullifies the essential character of an instrument which already had ample dignity and nobility in its standard dress.

Register Sign in to join the conversation