Other Guitars

Wrangling My Guitar Herd

I've been long overdue for a group photo shoot of my guitars, including some that I've not done NGD posts about when I got them (quite a while ago). First, the rundown, then the pics!

From top to bottom, left to right:

• Gretsch Americana Cowboy acoustics
  • Takamine G Jumbo EG523SC Acoustic-Electric - Spalted Maple
  • Fender Jaguar Bass - Cobalt Blue
  • Squier Vintage (Heavily) Modified Jazzuar - Daphne Blue
  • Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster - Vintage White
  • Fender '62 AVRI Telecaster - Ocean Turquoise
  • Fender '66 RI Jazzmaster - Candy Apple Red
  • Gretsch 6120BS Brian Setzer Hot Rod - Regal Blue
  • Gretsch 6121-1955 Chet Atkins Solid Body - Western Maple Stain
  • Fender Jaguar - Surf Green
  • Fender '52 RI Telecaster - Butterscotch Blonde
  • Fender Jimmie Vaughan Signature Stratocaster - Olympic White
  • Fender Standard Telecaster - Surf Green
  • Fender '57 RI Precision Bass - Daphne Blue

Magnificent family photo.8-) thank you.

Somebody else likes blue guitars, I see. Sweet collection, and a nicely thought-out presentation.

In guitar blue I have an elecord aria in mahogany.

Thanks, guys! I was running outta room there - I would have liked to get my amps in there, too - that's a photo shoot for another day. :P

Sweet blue burst, Mister M! Love the decals!

It is just some cut and stuck paper has the vinyl glue

Almost an embarrassment of riches you have going there, Snorre! :D :D

Good lord, I thought you thinned the herd a bit? 8-o

ANNE!!! Put him to shame, girl. ;-) :D

There is anything on the chet 6121??

LOL I did cut down significantly - I had 36 at one point. If I got any new ones in the past 6 months, I made sure I let some go first. I'm down to 10 electric guitars/2 bass guitars. If there is anything I gas for down the road, I gotta let something go first.

– Mister M

– Mister M

That's Duane Eddy's signature - he signed my guitar at the Nashville Roundup a few months back. :)

This could start something...

– Mister M

That's Duane Eddy's signature - he signed my guitar at the Nashville Roundup a few months back. :)

– Snorre

Happy man....8-) Is the guitar is not in a safe :P :D

Oh, no, it's right by my desk (with the rest) - I play it all the time. Luckily, I have four dogs to watch over them. :P

There are few people who blow through gear like you do, and I mean that in a fun way. it takes one to know one, always searching....... but this is just beautiful, like a Fender catalog of goodness

Nice collection, Steve.

There are few people who blow through gear like you do, and I mean that in a fun way. it takes one to know one, always searching....... but this is just beautiful, like a Fender catalog of goodness

– David Yingling

It has been a fun but costly ride, figuring out what worked for me in regards to tone, playability, comfort and to an admitted extent, style/taste. I'm quite satisfied with all of these guitars (barring some modifications for some). I finally have the 2 Gretsch guitars I've long sought after (but I did enjoy trying so many kinds), I'm all set on my Fenders (Teles, Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Strat). I'm definitely happy with my two bass guitars.

There will always be a guitar or two that I'll be interested in getting down the road, but I'll give up something if I do. I could certainly let go of the Squiers and standard Tele to thin the herd further (and possibly make room for a TV Jones Spectra-Sonic Supreme, a Ric 360, or a Gibson 50s or 60s Tribute). No rush for any new guitars for sure - I say that now but Fender or Gretsch may put something new and fantastic that I may be hard-pressed to resist (I'm only human!). :P

My focus for this year will be on two guitars that I'm putting together. My Gretsch Astro Jet and a Fender '72 RI Thinline body I bought last summer. I haven't decided on what pickups I want to buy from TV Jones for the Astro Jet. Most likely P90s in the Tele.

Nice collection, Steve.

– Bear

Nice collection, Steve.

– Bear

Thanks, Steve! I'm still going to do my best to thin the herd a bit - my cousin's young daughter is taking a strong interest in guitars so I'll probably give her one of mine to help her on her way.

Great photo, excellent collection I really like that red jazzmaster

Thanks! The '66 RI Jazzmaster (MIJ) is my primary guitar - just plays fantastic, all stock, too.

Nice collection Snorre!

Love those candy red 66 big block Jazzmasters,i never did get around to getting one though.

That Ocean Turquoise 62 Tele custom is lovely also.8-)

Register Sign in to join the conversation