Other Guitars

Wine thread

Let's add another DC Duo Jet, this one in Burgundy Sparkle:

Wine rack plus some sparkly.

Tal Farlow in wine:

– Strummerson

Sweet. To me, that wine color (on a maple-topped Tal) looks very close to how cherry red can often look on a spruce-topped Gibson.

Gibson and Epiphone often use the terms 'wine red' and 'cherry' interchangeably. Though not always.

I don't understand the compulsion to pair wine with gold. This new Epi ES295 in wine would look better with nickel hardward.

Like the new Epi ES175 in wine:

But the 295 has the P90s.

Gibson and Epiphone often use the terms 'wine red' and 'cherry' interchangeably. Though not always.

– Strummerson

Yeah, I've noticed that. Things have changed a lot at Gibson over the years. I'm an "old school" type, and sort of cling to the traditional models, specs, etc.

I don't understand the compulsion to pair wine with gold. This new Epi ES295 in wine would look better with nickel hardward.

– Strummerson

They often use gold on dark green guitars as well. I suspect that since the gold is a warm color it pairs well with the red and the green. I prefer chrome, or even better, nickel, myself, but the gold works well.

I'd get that wine 175, put on a B12 bigsby and a true arc, take off the finger rest (covers up the wine!) and install some open top TK CARs.

Then I would play it in front of a mirror for a few weeks.

Oh, yeah, I'd 'ebonize' the fretboard to fool myself into thinking it is ebony.

My aul Super Chet had a lovely colour ,although it was suppose to be Walnut.

I do love the DCM Jet.

How did I manage to neglect the corvette?!

I know Fender recently came out with some fancy-shmancy Strats that were actually stained with some real wine. Looked kinda like a "wildwood" and not nearly as pretty as everything in this thread. Bordeaux Burgundy Corsair on page 20 of the '55 catalog.

I know Fender recently came out with some fancy-shmancy Strats that were actually stained with some real wine. Looked kinda like a "wildwood" and not nearly as pretty as everything in this thread. Bordeaux Burgundy Corsair on page 20 of the '55 catalog.

– lx

Can't find the pic.

My "vin ordinaire" is a Samick Artist Series SG. They also make them in cherry, which is much lighter and brighter. Depending on the light, my wine red one can look almost black, but when the light hits it right, the mahogany grain pops and it looks gorgeous.

Problem with wine red is that it obscures the figure in birdseye. The solution? Lace burl, maple or redwood (though redwood is reputedly softer than pine). I think this Suhr's silhouette is somewhere between boring and ugly, but look at the winey figure!

Would very much like to have a Travis/Butterball Bigsby guitar like this. Or, alternatively, a Rickenbacker 330f, but with an Isana f-hole instead of the slash.

One of these please, with two, say, P90s or Dynas and an ebony board. Or maybe lipsticks? Oh, and the headstock isn't sufficiently winey.

1992 MIA Hamer Special with soapbar T-Armonds

Register Sign in to join the conversation