Other Guitars

Why?

Yes, that headstock. While indeed more at home on the original brand's slightly overdone big-buck jazzers, on the rest of the line, to me, it's just barely within the realm of hilariously-over-the-top-but-not-beyond-the-pale.

And while it's been established in previous threads that I'm in a minority, I still like this crazy thing.

It looks somewhat like the ancestor of this:

Yes, that headstock. While indeed more at home on the original brand's slightly overdone big-buck jazzers, on the rest of the line, to me, it's just barely within the realm of hilariously-over-the-top-but-not-beyond-the-pale.

And while it's been established in previous threads that I'm in a minority, I still like this crazy thing.

– Proteus

On an original design like that--said "design" itself notwithstanding--I can dig the headstock. It's the juxtaposition with their otherwise fairly traditional LP/335 clones, designs I'd consider pretty understated, that offends me.

But this is the golden age of guitars we live in. A guitar for every taste, no matter how perverse.

As far as wacky iterations on archtop silhouette, one need look no further than our own MVPGretsch's creations for some very excellent examples.

It looks somewhat like the ancestor of this:

– GG

Better yet....get one of these and chop off that hideous tail.....

John D'Angelico died in 1964, and the company closed. The name was re-purposed in 1999, but those later guitars are D'angelicos in name only.

maybe the original design was inspired by Mr. D'Angelico's enthusiasm for the Oxford comma?

Please! No!! If you don't know why, I give the Gibson Custom Shop's, Zak Wylde guitar model rendition of what you just mentioned:

– EllenGtrGrl

I think I have a pair of long-handled garden shears that fit this profile... Maybe with some black tape... nah. Who'd believe it?

as mentioned above, the original d'angelico teardrop was commissioned in 1957 by frank geraldi who was in a group called the teardrops...he paid john d'angelico 500$...about 40 years later collector scott chinery paid 150,000$ for it!...and commissioned d'angelicos disciple-the great jimmy d'aquisto to build his version....after jimmy passed away (at the same age as his mentor john d'angelico-age 58)..the great luthier john monteleone made his version of the teardrop archtop in 2008

3 of the greatest archtop luthiers ever...

of course the new d'angelico solid body is an eastwood type abomination, but...

cheers

good enough to be in the metropolitan museum of art!..it's a john d'angelico og design!

it ain't no eastwood!

cheers

– neatone

Can’t play that on the sofa!

depends on the sofa!

cheers

I've said it before but Gibson beat everyone to the punch. An L5 is the "perfect" shape for an archtop guitar. I can't think of anything you could do to the shape of an L5 which could improve it. That makes it hard for someone coming along afterwards to design a guitar which looks different but just as beautiful. Not impossible but rather difficult.

The 6120 is up there too, but it does look like a scaled down L5!

Yep, if it had a secret compartment on the back side of that fin. Stash your tobacco pipe and a lighter for when the band goes on break.

I remember when the original '57 Teardrop surfaced around 1990. IIRC, it was Mandolin Bros. selling it. I don't recall the $150,000 price tag, but considering I was 15, it didn't much matter. Anyway, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, and still do. I'm a little surprised that not everybody agrees. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I remember when the original '57 Teardrop surfaced around 1990. IIRC, it was Mandolin Bros. selling it. I don't recall the $150,000 price tag, but considering I was 15, it didn't much matter. Anyway, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, and still do. I'm a little surprised that not everybody agrees. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

– Afire

I'm with Afire...I love the original Teardrop archtop.

I've sat back for a couple of days, hoping to get warmed up to the "teardrop" design, and I just can't do it. The original archtop... meh....but the new solid body.... No! I can respect the original design, for filling in a niche, but it's just not my cup of tea.

apparently even fender wanted in on the act...in 2008...as part of a skate and surf line...designed by phil kubicki...

never got past the test model...thankfully! hah

cheers

the solidbody really looks like a bad idea generated over at Eastwood, the very font of bad ideas poorly executed.

The Fender doesn't look nearly as bad as the others. I mean, it's a pointless point down there, but at least the rest of the guitar leans sleekly forward to counterbalance the offending protuberance.

I get that that teardropped generic paul offends, but there are some other D'Angelicos that offend me more. It's not even the Grateful dead connection per se, I get that the Bob Weir connection has been selling guitars for them.

But this...thing....Maybe it's something out of a John D'Angelico nightmare, after a particularly heavy and not-too-fresh seafood dinner or something. D'Angelico's were once Art-Deco styled handmade works of art. The almost-opposite generic not particularly nice guitars made in cheap labor factories by non-luthiers thing is bad enough, and then there's this...

the current D'Angelico company almost makes Duesenblèchs look tasteful, and that's saying a LOT!!

The Fender doesn't look nearly as bad as the others. I mean, it's a pointless point down there, but at least the rest of the guitar leans sleekly forward to counterbalance the offending protuberance.

– Proteus

I actually like this Fender. There is a nice flow and balance to the design.

Will all you guys put your ugly guitars away, I'm getting nauseous. The first picture was like hitting a bad patch of ocean on a small boat, but the rest of the pictures have me heaving over the side.

Oh wait a second I'm all about gaudy guitars...

I guess I need to reconsider my stone throwing from the safety of my glass house:)

Register Sign in to join the conversation