Other Guitars

Why?

D'Angelico...usually right up to the edge of aesthetically overboard. This is apparently their shark - and there they go sailing right up and over.

Do you want to know more? I don't. https://www.musiciansfriend...

Only MAD magazine can properly describe this abomination. And I quote. (Ahem).

"BLECCCHHH!!!:

Further evidence that just because a thing CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be. We now return you to your regular Gretsch pages already in progress.

It's funny when I opened it up the picture was cut off at the bottom. I was immediately thinking while starting to scroll, "Hmm, I wonder what's wrong with AAAHHHGGGHHH!!!!"

D'Angelico first did this in 1957 - to an archtop.

– lx

^ exactly that!!! a botched homage

cheers

exactly that!!! a botched homage

Well, let's be more specific: a botched homage to an only slightly less botched original idea.

I have bought guitars in the past from companies who also produced abominations like that, and I didn't let a grievous lapse or two undermine my satisfaction in brand ownership of a handsome design.

And I've always rather admired the D'Angelico tradition of just overdoing it cosmetically - of skating flamboyantly (but elegantly) right up to the edge of gaucherie without going over. But I don't own a D'Angelico now, and this complete grotesk might keep me from ever buying one - of any description. I'd kinda hate to even be associated.

There must be a secret compartment, I need something more...

Yikes, the archtop pic makes it all-too-clear: playing this type of guitar will result in serious injury to a bassist or second guitar player.

"Tonight's story — rock and roll bassist neutered in sneak shark attack at local bar."

exactly that!!! a botched homage

Well, let's be more specific: a botched homage to an only slightly less botched original idea.

I have bought guitars in the past from companies who also produced abominations like that, and I didn't let a grievous lapse or two undermine my satisfaction in brand ownership of a handsome design.

And I've always rather admired the D'Angelico tradition of just overdoing it cosmetically - of skating flamboyantly (but elegantly) right up to the edge of gaucherie without going over. But I don't own a D'Angelico now, and this complete grotesk might keep me from ever buying one - of any description. I'd kinda hate to even be associated.

– Proteus

good enough to be in the metropolitan museum of art!..it's a john d'angelico og design!

it ain't no eastwood!

cheers

There's lots of ugly art.

“In 1957 the musician Pete Girardi, who played in a group called The Teardrops, commissioned John D’Angelico to build a guitar that would be unique to his act. The resulting “Teardrop” has all the decorative appointments of a New Yorker model guitar plus a large protruding fin on the lower right corner. The one-of-a-kind instrument became a much sought-after collector’s piece and an icon of guitar building.”

http://blog.metmuseum.org/g...

Ha! I was just thinking that it looks like the guitar is crying - possibly at the foolishness of the builder. It's either crying or melting. Or maybe it's just somewhere to store another cutaway.

A chilling reminder of the dangers of stroke.

good enough to be in the metropolitan museum of art!..it's a john d'angelico og design!

it ain't no eastwood!

cheers

– neatone

A double-cut version with the lower half mirrored would look pretty cool, though.

Wacky design for the sake of wacky design, I don't care how beautifully it's made. Ten minutes with a decent saw would soon fix it! And as for the archtop guitar -- regardless of its perceived historical importance and value, give me an L5 or a Byrdland any day. Ooh I know I'm such a common old clod!

Well weird ones like the V and Explorer were laughed off in their time. This is something different. My usual statement is "The guitar world is running out of ideas"... or 'just minining/strip-mining their past'.

This I guess just goes back to that old one. Everybody wants the old stuff, although that one was not widely known.

FINALLY....a guitar that I don't want.

FINALLY....a guitar that I don't want.

– Toddfan

I've found quite a few that I wouldn't want.

A double-cut version with the lower half mirrored would look pretty cool, though.

– sascha

Please! No!! If you don't know why, I give the Gibson Custom Shop's, Zak Wylde guitar model rendition of what you just mentioned:

Honestly, all of the new D'Angelicos look pretty hideous IMO. That headstock just doesn't belong on a slew of gaudily-painted LP and 335 clones. On a proper jazzbox it kind of makes sense in a very 1920s way, but I still wouldn't want it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation