Other Guitars

While I’m at it, a walk through the Forest of Ibanez Hollows.

I've had two '70s Ibanez 'lawsuit' guitars and I wish I still had both of them. One was the 'Howie', the Howard Roberts full size archtop with oval sound hole and a floating humbucker, the other was an L5S replica, rather heavy but one of my favourite designs. Both were beautifully made. Only one problem with this guitar (at least for me): it was based on the earlier L5S type which had those odd shaped pickups -- low impedence on the Gibson original but just average passive units on the Ibanez. Their weird shape meant they were difficult to swap out -- I suppose a pickup maker could have fitted something better inside the original housing.

I had a couple of Ibanez semi-hollowbodies years ago (an Artcore AS73, and an Artstar AS120 [that was a nice guitar]). I've always thought that the Ibanez non-RG/Superstrat models were nice guitars, but other than the Eric Krasno models (which cost more than I can afford) their necks are just a little thin for my taste, otherwise I'd get another Artstar. BTW, Ibanez has made 2, 7-string hollow bodies in the past 20 years, the AF207 (which isn't very common, and costs a bundle - ouch!), and the AFJ957 Artcore (sometimes I kick myself for not picking one up, but its 24.7" scale length is a bit on the short side for a 7-string IMO). They also made a 7-string acoustic guitar - the AEL207.

My early 2000s Yamaha acoustic is made of nato except for the spruce top. I have played it in jam circles with other players that have high end Martins and Taylors and this humble guitar holds its own with them. To me it's not as dark as most Martins and not as bright as most Taylors. It's a very balanced sound. It sounds so good I have used it on recordings instead of borrowing a high end acoustic. I would be fine playing any guitar made of nato.

I was interested in an Ibanez AM 73B for a minute after I played one at Guitar Center. I never plugged it in though. It felt fantastic.

My early 2000s Yamaha acoustic is made of nato except for the spruce top. I have played it in jam circles with other players that have high end Martins and Taylors and this humble guitar holds its own with them. To me it's not as dark as most Martins and not as bright as most Taylors. It's a very balanced sound. It sounds so good I have used it on recordings instead of borrowing a high end acoustic. I would be fine playing any guitar made of nato.

I was interested in an Ibanez AM 73B for a minute after I played one at Guitar Center. I never plugged it in though. It felt fantastic.

– BuddyHollywood

Yamaha makes great acoustic guitars. My current church band guitar (a Taylor 150e 12-string) is starting to give me left hand sorness after playing, due to it's neck turning out to be a bit on the thin side. A Yamaha 12-string (if its neck is thick enough - Yamaha guitars are kind of all or nothing for neck thickness, they're either nice and chunky, or toothpick thin) is on my radar as a replacement. It would probably have a bit more low end sound to boot than my Taylor.

its 24.7" scale length is a bit on the short side for a 7-string IMO

Gosh, ya think? I don't know what gets into designers of extra-string and baritone guitars when they spec scale lengths. About half of the models I research are too short...and a few are too long.

Register Sign in to join the conversation