Other Guitars

What’s Your Favorite Danelectro Guitar?

Dano makes so many models of guitars I was curious for those who like this brand what your favorite is?

I have a Mod 6 and love it but probably not my favorite Dano. The classic U2 is my favorite. With that said I’m not selling my Mod 6 any time soon.

I've got an original ('61 or '62) Convertible. My first guitar was a Silvertone amp-in-case.

Blonde U2 sounds the best.

My favorite is the Danelectro Baritone because it gives an affordable entry point to new sounds. For aesthetics, I love models like the center one above (3 pickups and the Dan-O-Matic wiring)

Tubs, I love that blue on the far left. I believe that is the 63 reissue. Your whole collection is beautiful.

I've got an original ('61 or '62) Convertible. My first guitar was a Silvertone amp-in-case.

– wabash slim

wabash I love those Convertible models. First time I saw one was Lisa Loeb playing one on VH-1 when "Stay" was a big hit and I wanted it so badly but never got one. I can't find a video on YouTube of her playine one though.

Tubs, I love that blue on the far left. I believe that is the 63 reissue. Your whole collection is beautiful.

– ThePolecats

I won the '63 off a competition on Facebook. It sounds great. I have given it to my son, he's ten and has started taking lessons, one of the really cool things about it is because the bridge is so close to the base of the guitar it makes the guitar feel quite small and that makes it easy for his small frame.

I owned a nice copper coloured one pickup Dano a long time ago...not sure what the model was called...it was the double cut Jimmy Page shaped one.

I always liked the look of the second variant Silvertone guitar and amp in case guitar which was made by Danelectro...believe it was called a 1451 model...like a one pickup Hornet.

Do you guys feel that a Dano is a good rockabilly guitar? What music do you play on it?

I've had a half dozen or so different models. Never a real complaint about them.

Convertible, Dano-Pro, Baritone, 12 String, always a good bang for the buck.

I'd wanted one of these since the 60s. When Evets Corp re-issued Danelectro, they gave me a 3-pickup, Silver Sparkle one. I use it a lot for recording sessions.

Billy that’s a nice Dano. The reissue Dano’s must be good if you recorded with one.

They are doing a great job with the new Danos.

For me gotta be the righteous 3923 6/4 doubleneck. I had two of them. Wish I had kept the cleaner one, so am trolling for another.

The 6/4 I have for sale up here is really tweaked up nice. Surprised they only did a 6/12 and 6/bari doubleneck. Mine might be the only Modern World Evets era 6/4 .. .don't know.

I do have a early 60s shorthorn bass that I use a lot for serious roots gigs. has a nice thumpy upright sound

I regret not keeping the 1958 Silvertone that was made by Danelectro when we lived in Juneau Alaska, it was a Christmas present to my younger brother in that year. A friend still has it. Great guitar! I never owned one myself, started playing years later.

I just came home to Lazarus Fripping out with a looper and his Danelectro Dano 63

Almost forgot that Laz got a mini sitar, too!

It seems to me that Nate Daniels maybbe got the idea to see if he could do a Fender style bolt -on neck guitar but more cheaply. So in the early 50s he'd seen Fender and the first Dano was 1954 out of cheaper material .. masonite.

It seems to me that Nate Daniels maybbe got the idea to see if he could do a Fender style bolt -on neck guitar but more cheaply. So in the early 50s he'd seen Fender and the first Dano was 1954 out of cheaper material .. masonite.

– DCBirdMan

Yup! Masonite front and back, with Formica on the front. 2X4 frame with Naugahyde trim. Nate made 'em as cheap as he could for students. His expertise was primarily in electronics, having done a lot of radio design for WWII military use. One aspect to his guitars---they're still some of the best shielded electronic instruments ever made. The controls are all enclosed in a copper foil box and all the wire used is coaxial. Don't forget the amps he made for Sears, Wards, and Gretsch.

dano guitarlin

cheers

hell & verlaine-television

cheers

Hell and TV escaped Prep School and ran away to NYC...another one of my hometown stories...The Sanford School.

These two Cackalacky boys got me interested in picking up a danelectro recently:

Maybe Santa will bring one of those stock '59 in turquoise...

Yup! Masonite front and back, with Formica on the front. 2X4 frame with Naugahyde trim. Nate made 'em as cheap as he could for students. His expertise was primarily in electronics, having done a lot of radio design for WWII military use. One aspect to his guitars---they're still some of the best shielded electronic instruments ever made. The controls are all enclosed in a copper foil box and all the wire used is coaxial. Don't forget the amps he made for Sears, Wards, and Gretsch.

– wabash slim

Have a read of this, Nat Daniel designed Epiphone's pre-war amps.

I've had a few 56-U2 reissues from the late '90s -- a couple of Copper Bursts, a Nifty Aqua, even a baritone in Aqua Burst -- and every time I sell one (thinking, "Ahh, who needs this cheap piece o' plywood, anyways...?"), I find myself looking for another only a few months later, so I've finally resigned myself to the fact that I must just love the darned things.

The Aqua Burst pictured here -- the best sounding of all the 56-U2 reissues I've come across -- isn't going anywhere; I've learned my lesson!

Register Sign in to join the conversation