Other Guitars

What guitar used in the new Sun Records series

Does anyone know what guitar this is used in the new Sun Records series?

Here is another .

Look like some kind of Stella or Harmony.

S.S. Stewart of Philadephia. However, by the late 30's they were built by Harmony in Chicago... the one used in the TV show is essentially a 40's era Harmony Monterey.

Good eye!

I've seen a Gretsch New Yorker on the show in Ike Turner's band. They even included the trivia about the guitarist's amp having a bullet hole in it---and how it got there. I'm pretty sure that all of the mikes and recording gear is accurate to the period. I don't know how accurate the portrayals are, but it seems pretty spot on to me. It has some pretty good music, too!

Is there a chance for a stream? Here in Europe (Germany) is nearly no chance , to watch it :(

So far, the only piece of gear I've seen that was REALLY out of place was 34 minutes into Episode 3, where the guitarist in Hank Snow's band is playing a black Gibson Les Paul Custom with humbuckers and a Bigsby!

In the show's timeline, it's a little early for that... since Gibson PAFs didn't even exist at that time. However, almost all of the rest of the gear seen is pretty accurate timeline-wise.

Is there a chance for a stream? Here in Europe (Germany) is nearly no chance , to watch it :(

– Voodooholly

The show is produced by CMT, and airs on that channel. Wish I could help you with seeing it.

The show is produced by CMT, and airs on that channel. Wish I could help you with seeing it.

– Tartan Phantom

Thank you for the info.I hope,maybe it will appear on YouTube someday.

You can watch the first three episodes with the CMT app.

You can watch the first three episodes with the CMT app.

– mugsy

not available in my country, says Google.

Couchtuner.ag or couchtuner.eu will get you all the free tv shows you want, including Sun Records... There's quite a few pop ups, but I'll deal with it for the free-ness.

Thank you both.Couchtuner does it for me ;)

you guys can all watch it on Amazon Prime.. I've got it running through my PS4. Was taking a look at it because the guy that play Carl Perkins, Dustin Ingram is a patient of my wife (dental not doctor). He sent a message w my wife that he and the crew need your support in watching this show so that there can be a second season. If the rating are high enough they'll be able to get picked up for the next one, so he asked her to tell me to spread the word to my guitar friends.

you guys can all watch it on Amazon Prime.. I've got it running through my PS4. Was taking a look at it because the guy that play Carl Perkins, Dustin Ingram is a patient of my wife (dental not doctor). He sent a message w my wife that he and the crew need your support in watching this show so that there can be a second season. If the rating are high enough they'll be able to get picked up for the next one, so he asked her to tell me to spread the word to my guitar friends.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

Unfortunately, ratings are measured only on original broadcast, not on webcast or secondary re-cast, which means that watching it by any other method other than original broadcast time slot doesn't affect the show's ratings one bit. On top of that, it's pretty much only Nielsen-selected households that matter. I was a Nielsen-selected household 3 times in a 3 year period for TV... and yes, they still use manual handwritten viewing logs... which some folks can't bother to fill out fully or correctly. I was also an Arbitron (now Nielsen Audio) household for 3 years separately. It was much easier, no logs to fill out, just wear a little pager-like device every day, and it picked up the signal of whatever stations you heard throughout the day.

Nice anecdote about Dustin Ingram-- I hope the show does well. They've certainly done their research in the set design/ costuming area. The acting's not bad either, even if the storylines are "enhanced" to make it more entertaining.

Unfortunately, ratings are measured only on original broadcast, not on webcast or secondary re-cast, which means that watching it by any other method other than original broadcast time slot doesn't affect the show's ratings one bit. On top of that, it's pretty much only Nielsen-selected households that matter. I was a Nielsen-selected household 3 times in a 3 year period for TV... and yes, they still use manual handwritten viewing logs... which some folks can't bother to fill out fully or correctly. I was also an Arbitron (now Nielsen Audio) household for 3 years separately. It was much easier, no logs to fill out, just wear a little pager-like device every day, and it picked up the signal of whatever stations you heard throughout the day.

Nice anecdote about Dustin Ingram-- I hope the show does well. They've certainly done their research in the set design/ costuming area. The acting's not bad either, even if the storylines are "enhanced" to make it more entertaining.

– Tartan Phantom

ya I watched the first 3 episodes last night on CMT.. feels like a soap opera w very little anecdotal historic story telling thus far. Actors are goods, great sets, costumes, cars, etc as you said. I want more about the musicians not the recording industry people and I want a story about Sam Phillips in his studio, not women problems. :)

ya I watched the first 3 episodes last night on CMT.. feels like a soap opera w very little anecdotal historic story telling thus far. Actors are goods, great sets, costumes, cars, etc as you said. I want more about the musicians not the recording industry people and I want a story about Sam Phillips in his studio, not women problems. :)

C'mon Mr. Grinch.The idea is what counts. I liked it.

It IS an excellent show and it looks to me like a ton of research was invested to assure accuracy in the details.

bah hum bug.. I want to see musicians in Sun Studios! :)

C'mon... what you really want to see is how Col. Parker kept Elvis knee deep in chicks and Krispy Kremes...

It would be really great if Tom Parker was never even mentioned. Reading about Carl Perkins, this according to his son...

Carl Perkins played a ‘52/’53 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top with two P-90 Pickups and a "trapeze" tailpiece through a small Fender Amp when he recorded “Honey Don’t” with "The Perkins Brothers Band" (Carl Perkins + his two brothers on upright bass (Clayton) and rhythm guitar (Jay) + W.S.Holland on drums).

The general understanding is that “Honey Don’t” and “Blue Suede Shoes” were recorded at the same session (Sun 234 rel. 1/56). In fact he recorded "Honey Don't" first, several weeks prior to the "Blue Suede Shoes" session.

The guitar that Carl Perkins played on "Blue Suede Shoes" is also a Les Paul Gold Top but a ’55 with a Bigsby. After “Blue Suede Shoes” became a hit, Carl painted the guitar blue and later his youngest son Greg Perkins painted it black. It’s currently in Stan Perkins' vault in Jackson, TN.

In early '56, after the massive success of "Blue Suede Shoes", Carl Perkins purchased an $800 blonde Gibson ES-5 maple-top with three P-90 pickups with separate tone and volume controls for each. He also got himself one of the hand built EchoSonic amps from Ray Butts out of Cairo, Illinois for $250 down and $250 on delivery.

It's hard to believe what a POS Tom Parker was.

Let's just leave him out of the history. Too negative. Elvis was just trying to express himself and make some fun records. Oh, and change the world. That too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation