Other Guitars

Well, if that don’t take the fun out of guitar playing…

I'm sure this version of the Firebird will be as spectacularly unsuccessful as the previous attempts by Gibson - the Dusk Tiger, Dark Fire, HD.6X-Pro Digital Guitar, the Robot Guitar, Les Paul Ultra, G Force tuners, etc ...

(I actually liked the looks of the Dusk Tiger and Dark Fire. If I could find a husk I'd make a good guitar out of it.)

Ok, I'm admittedly a relative late-comer to the game, but I didn't realize that things were so broken that they required this fix.

They say...

"NOT A MODELING GUITAR"...."This guitar is pure analog"..."We then use high performance ADC chips to convert the audio stream into the digital form on which our sound processor can act"

Oh, that kind of analog.

Apparently they still sell them at guitar marts, and an article about it was in the Los Angeles Times today. Maybe they are pushing to sell off some of these dogs.

From the folks that brought you robo-tuners...

With all that processing power, why not a robot-player ?

With all that processing power, why not a robot-player ?>

No more pesky calluses!

Wow - what badly written copy. It took me a while to work out what they were even talking about! So it's a built-in effects gadget? Woopie-doo. That's modern. Next thing you know they'll be building an amp into the guitar case.

Is the tuition to M.I.T. included in the price?

Is the tuition to M.I.T. included in the price?

– Bear

No need for that, it's intuitive by pure analogy.

If you feel the need to hyphenate "Pure Analog" so you can trademark it, and then describe how it works as "secret sauce" not once, but twice in one page, it's probably not really pure analog, and I doubt the sauce is, either.

If you feel the need to hyphenate "Pure Analog" so you can trademark it, and then describe how it works as "secret sauce" not once, but twice in one page, it's probably not really pure analog, and I doubt the sauce is, either.

– giffenf

I know, right? It's like when I see a food item, or restaurant that uses "gourmet" in the title. If you have to say it's gourmet, it's not.

This is old news. The Firebird X/Firewood X came out in late 2010/early 2011. It was derided and ridiculed back than, and the unsold leftovers are ridiculed nowadays. It isn't like the Modern Series guitars (Flying V, Explorer, and Moderne) of the late 50s that just had weird body shapes for the time, but other than that, were still decently playable, and sounding guitars, that eventually became classics, it's a guitar that's trying to update an old concept that's never worked properly (adding a bunch of doodads onto a guitar [remember the late 60s Vox guitars?]), and saying that "it'll change everything for guitar players." Alex Skolnick (he of Testament fame [lead guitarist], and the Alex Skolnick [jazz] Trio), gives a pretty good account about the ridiculous rollout that Gibson did for the Firebird X:

http://www.guitarplayer.com...

Another great addition to the litany of other wildly successful guitars with on-board effects. Some bad ideas just refuse to die.

Wow - what badly written copy.

That was the biggest impression that was left on me too.

War is peace.

Slavery is freedom.

Down is up.

Digital is analogue...

I thought the body style looked vaguely familiar; I like the original much better.

This confuses me.....

"It is not enough to get the analog authenticity that all players lust for. A large part of the analog sound is the way analog equipment functions, which is very different from the implementation of sterile digital mathematical formulas. Like a drum machine compared to a live drummer, real life has enormous texture and non-mathematical nuance. Gibson designers are guitar players with decades' worth of experience. We have studied this very real mojo and added it to every part of what our engine does. These many techniques allow us to achieve Pure-Analog™ that even the most discerning ears will agree is an analog sound."

All from a digital chip?

If you're going to use digital technology, embrace it and make your case for why it works. This whole thing reads like an ill-conceived attempt to confuse the reader, and a fairly insulting one at that.

I, for one, find it refreshing to see and read about a guitar that inspires absolutely zero lust, curiosity, or even interest!

....er,.....I want one.....?????

....er,.....I want one.....?????

– Toddfan

BTW, why build all that stuff into the guitar? Doesn't it make more sense to put it into a separate unit so you can use that technology with whatever guitar you want?

Oh wait, never mind my asking....Gibson...

Register Sign in to join the conversation