Other Guitars

Weird Rick

NFI.

I've not seen one like this before and it made me think of the old Gretsch TKs. Awkward looking body/pickguard design and like the TKs was made in 1977. Musta been something in the air then....

Finally, a Rickenbacker six-string Proteus can get behind.

I'm not a huge fan of any of Rickenbacker's cresting wave designs, but at least the usual guitar bodies are proportional to their overall size, as are the bass bodies. The 480, basically using the big bass body with a guitar neck, is positively fugly, IMO.

If that's not weird enough for you, you might try the 481 with slanted frets.

Well, face it, lotta ugly and weird guitars from the 70s. .. the Fender Starcaster being one of them . But the mini cresting wave of the 660s and 650 are a Thang of Beauty.

I don't dislike it as much as I dislike the TKs. But, yeah, not so very proportionate.

Also, I don't know if the Ric bass body is inherently graceful and appealing, or if I'm just conditioned to it via the McCartney-Squire-et al connection with guys I consider foundational bassists.

Maybe the 620/660 is actually ugly too, but I accept it via the aesthetic vocabulary established by the bass. Who can tell about these matters of taste.

Nonetheless, I like both body shapes.

Is there any truth to the rumor (which I just started) that the Gretsch Pages and Rick Resource are merging?

The 1st Ric I actually saw and played in real life was a 480. I can't remember how it played or the tone, as it was early, early in my playing days; but I do remember being disappointed that it wasn't a 300 or 600 series Ric.

Register Sign in to join the conversation