Other Guitars

Vintage Tele tuner recommendations

I have a real deal 52 Tele with some tired tuners that I’m playing out a lot these days. I need a really good looking and functional set of Kluson looking tuners that don’t require any peghead surgery whatsoever. Many thanks for all opinions, JBJ

I think the Gotoh Kluson copies (that Fender uses too on their US vintage RI's) are still the best you can get. Not expensive either.

I had heard that too Walter, but was skeptical?

I use Allparts TK 0880-001, they're rock solid.

I had heard that too Walter, but was skeptical?

– JazzBoxJunky

They're great, (the very same ones Curt is recommending btw). Japanese-made Gotoh hardware is super high quality.

And just to be clear, these will absolutely drop into a vintage 52 peghead?

I use Fender F tuners with white plastic knobs...made by Fender for Fender. Not a good pic. They work great and fit properly.

And just to be clear, these will absolutely drop into a vintage 52 peghead?

– JazzBoxJunky

yes

Thanks Walter and Curt, bought the Ebay ones. Guess I’m old school, hard to believe how good the price is on these!

I use Fender F tuners with white plastic knobs...made by Fender for Fender. Not a good pic. They work great and fit properly.

– Pt

I am surprised that nobody has commented on these.

The white buttons were a deal breaker for me, appreciate the recommendation though.

If you want them to say Kluson, you can buy Klusons in Europe. I looked into this a few years ago for a project. Everybody seems to agree that Gotohs are the best Kluson-style tuners, and due to some odd trademark situation, the Kluson name is owned by separate entities in the US and Europe. In the US, WD owns the name and has them made in China, while a German company owns the name in Europe and theirs are made by Gotoh.

http://www.kluson.de/en_tra...

Bam, perhaps a little too shiny on the nickel plating, but a really good fitting and quality tuner. Had to use my old screws as the ones supplied were a shade long for the original holes in the headstock.

Looks good, JBJ. I am putting these Kluson 18:1 Nickel tuners on a Strat project. Haven't installed them yet, but seem real nice out of the box. Price was reasonable too (got them on a Black Friday special).

I am surprised that nobody has commented on these.

– Pt

What would you like us to say?

Yeah got mine for $37.55 off eBay with free shipping, pretty hard to imagine that price.

Register Sign in to join the conversation