Other Guitars

Vintage Guild guitars. I think They are wonderful.

mine has the blocks too, but it came with Grover Statites

Got a photo of it?

only some really crappy ones, ha. I put the TOM on it, still have the original Bigsby bridge.

This is it too :

Killer! Thanks!

Was talking to Hans and he asked for pics of my 1954 X150. I've never seen another '54 X-150 in person and the ones claiming to be on the internet never have a serial number. Mine does and fits the year. The differences in others claiming to be 1954 are different tuners, sometimes knobs and usually a black franz p90. Enjoy

I've had a love affair with Guilds since I saw them on the cover of Steve Millers second lp Sailer. They are the best for your buck vintage USA gits hands down. Never played one I'd consider bad, with most of the vintage in the oh my God territory. Never played the new ones, around these parts they're as rare as the old ones. I've had a late 60's dreadnaught for 40 years, done a neck reset and fret work, it will be with me till the end. I need/want/desperately covet an electric archtop,one day.......

The new Guilds look pretty attractive, but I picked up the blue X-170 with the Bigsby at last year’s NAMM and the weight put me off. They’ve since come out with a Bigsby-less version, and the white one is quite fetching, but I don’t really need another hollerbody. I came close to having a shot at the Guild archtop played by the guitarist for the Ink Spots. His granddaughter sold the guitar to TrueTone, and then-owner Ken called me and told me I had to come look at it, it still had the set list taped to the side. But some guy named Brian Setzer happened to come into the store before I did and he bought it, so I never even got to see it.

I do have a ‘63 F-30 I bought in 1977, to console myself over breaking up with a girlfriend. I got a better girlfriend later, but have yet to get a better little guitar.

The new Guilds look pretty attractive, but I picked up the blue X-170 with the Bigsby at last year’s NAMM and the weight put me off. They’ve since come out with a Bigsby-less version, and the white one is quite fetching, but I don’t really need another hollerbody. I came close to having a shot at the Guild archtop played by the guitarist for the Ink Spots. His granddaughter sold the guitar to TrueTone, and then-owner Ken called me and told me I had to come look at it, it still had the set list taped to the side. But some guy named Brian Setzer happened to come into the store before I did and he bought it, so I never even got to see it.

I do have a ‘63 F-30 I bought in 1977, to console myself over breaking up with a girlfriend. I got a better girlfriend later, but have yet to get a better little guitar.

– giffenf

At least you are in good company, that is six degrees of separation, actually less. Ken called you to look at it but Ken or someone from TrueTone called Setzer as well, so that is pretty cool.

Too bad you didn't show up when he was there and could have met him. Reminds me of just missing Johnny Marr at Guitars R Us in Hollywood about 1989 or so. He had been in there by just 20 minutes before I got there. The Who were on tour and he toured with them and went with Townshend's guitar tech to check guitars in Hollywood on Guitar Row. He was not opening for them but he was just traveling with them since he was friends with Townshend.

I do like the new Guilds, but the old ones are something else again. Best so far for me:

• '62 Guild X-50 ... Guild's answer to Gibson's non-cutaway, full depth ES-125. Rather different though. Shallower body depth, 1/4" or so larger at the lower bout, Franz p/u instead of the Gibson P90. The Franz looks like a P90, is not the same. This guitar has an unusual and beautiful sound.
  • '61 Guild X-175B ... Still at the shop getting frets. I don't know it well yet. Bigger body than the X-50, spruce top, cutaway. 2 of those Franz p/us. This came originally with a Bigsby. Was converted to harp tail piece and wooden bridge. Another big, beautiful sound.

This is a great thread. Is there any way to get CBell's pictures back. I do so miss his comments and his views into his fantastic collection. He was a true gentleman and left us far too soon.

Is Billy D. Light still on the forum. I miss his videos and especially the ones where his son was drumming. A lot of fatherly pride there and a unique chance to create a bond that will endure.

The new Guilds look pretty attractive, but I picked up the blue X-170 with the Bigsby at last year’s NAMM and the weight put me off. They’ve since come out with a Bigsby-less version, and the white one is quite fetching.

Sounds like you played an X-175 Manhattan Special. They don't currently make an X-170 or offer an X-175 in white.

Big Franz fan here.
My '56 Guild X375 that I've had since the early 80s plays and sounds like nothing else.
While I love my Gretsches, there is just something about this Guild.

The new Guilds look pretty attractive, but I picked up the blue X-170 with the Bigsby at last year’s NAMM and the weight put me off. They’ve since come out with a Bigsby-less version, and the white one is quite fetching.

Sounds like you played an X-175 Manhattan Special. They don't currently make an X-170 or offer an X-175 in white.

– Charlie Vegas

Apparently, they do. It's just not on the Guild site:

https://www.sweetwater.com/...

....as well, they made a blonde one, with Bigsby, for the European markets:

https://www.stringsfield.co...

Register Sign in to join the conversation