Other Guitars

Vintage Guild guitars. I think They are wonderful.

it is the only x 400 g known

I should know its my guitar

– alpep

Let me know if you ever want to let it go!

And here's a cool, yet frustrating little item. The pickups were changed to humbuckers without any input from Duane, how unbelievably annoying. Can you imagine Joe C making a decision like that? No, me neither. : )

That is a beautiful guitar and I'll bet Duane could get "his" sound out of it, humbuckers or not. Still, Guild changing something so identifiable with his guitar without consultation doesn't speak well for artist relations, something I'm not sure they ever did well.

They sure made nice guitars. Hopefully, they still will.

This my 77 Guild X500 I have had for over 15 years.

X500 in action geez I was young

Saw these on Facebook.

1959 & 1961 & 1962 Guild X 500s Hoboken goodness. Between Brooklyn Gretschs and these Hoboken Guilds, I may never respect a guitar made outside of the NY city area.

Saw these on Facebook.

1959 & 1961 & 1962 Guild X 500s Hoboken goodness. Between Brooklyn Gretschs and these Hoboken Guilds, I may never respect a guitar made outside of the NY city area.

– Bob Howard

Those are happenin

My Blues 90.

How heavy Is this guitar please?

– gretschcrush

7.2 pounds.

I had a black "blues 90" that was just great. It was extremely light, but felt really solid. It sounded wonderful, and it had a HUGE neck.

My absolute favorite finger picking acoustic Guitar ever 1967 Guild F-47 "Bluegrass" It does not get any better than this

I had a divorce in 1976. Part of the settlement was ALL of my rig, ALL of it. She wanted half. In a fit of spite, I let go of a 1973 Guild S-100 Polara, and a 1969 Fender thin line Tele in natural. I also had a huge and terrible Peavy Musician stack. I sold the two guitars for 250 a piece, and the amp went for 200 to a guy who was going to play belly dancing music on a middle eastern instrument. The Tele alone now is worth many thousands if it still exists.

SO,I gave her 350 bucks and said here is your half... She was mightily pissed, but the judge said that there was no money stipulation on return and I completed the sales within the time frame allotted. I loved that S-100. I've often thought of getting another and almost did in the 90's when they reissued the very poor copies. Now the Westbury editions are out and are almost identical, but I have no need. I do love the mark.

I bought this X500 brand new from Cintioli's in NE Philly around 1988. I bought it because Tommy Conwell used to sound great with his. I never bonded with it. Barely used it. Finally sold it in 2014 for $2350.

I had a black "blues 90" that was just great. It was extremely light, but felt really solid. It sounded wonderful, and it had a HUGE neck.

– Dhdfoster

Blues 90s are wonderful guitars. They're chambered, so they weigh in well below a Les Paul and, as Dhdfoster wrote, they have a wide neck with a fairly chunky contour. I replaced the stock Duncan P-90s with a set of standard wind Lollars.

Nice, Caliban335. Reminds me of a Spectrasonic.

My favorite playing buddy in college had the first Guild I met, an acoustic. He was (and remains) a phenomenal player with his own unique approach and technique, and I always associated Guilds with him.

In the 90s a blond Westerly jumbo called out to me from the shelf in a music store, and I answered. But the guitar turned out to be a bit of a heartbreaker, as the top bellied slightly behind the bridge - twice - and the action got beyond my tolerance and I sadly sold it. Loved it though.

When I reconnected with my college buddy a few years ago, and Guilds came up, he said his had self-destructed years ago.

I fell hard for the NS reissues when FMIC popped them out – more of Mike Lewis's incredible work in bringing those to fruition. Three years later, I remain giddily delighted with the Aristocrat. A nonstop smile generator, unique tone for days. And SO good looking. I'm almost as happy with the Savoy; it's too classy for me by far, and it hasn't made me a jazzer, but that's not the guitar's fault. Gorgeous instrument.

I'll defer to WB, Billy D, CBell, and youse other true afficionados on the vintage models. Y'all make 'em sing. They're ridiculously handsome too. Maybe someday I'll venture down that road - as Walter says, they're not prohibitively expensive.

Guild is sorta like the Ampeg of guitars: east coast, unique, solid heritage of inventiveness and integrity - with lots of business transitions through the years that have hampered stability and standing in the market. Well-regarded companies with serious die-hard fans, but trouble reaching critical mass. You can't say it's a shame - both companies have produced remarkable products that have stood the test of time, and have enjoyed varyingly successful revivals - but you can't help thinking they deserved better in the marketplace.

My favorite playing buddy in college had the first Guild I met, an acoustic. He was (and remains) a phenomenal player with his own unique approach and technique, and I always associated Guilds with him.

In the 90s a blond Westerly jumbo called out to me from the shelf in a music store, and I answered. But the guitar turned out to be a bit of a heartbreaker, as the top bellied slightly behind the bridge - twice - and the action got beyond my tolerance and I sadly sold it. Loved it though.

When I reconnected with my college buddy a few years ago, and Guilds came up, he said his had self-destructed years ago.

I fell hard for the NS reissues when FMIC popped them out – more of Mike Lewis's incredible work in bringing those to fruition. Three years later, I remain giddily delighted with the Aristocrat. A nonstop smile generator, unique tone for days. And SO good looking. I'm almost as happy with the Savoy; it's too classy for me by far, and it hasn't made me a jazzer, but that's not the guitar's fault. Gorgeous instrument.

I'll defer to WB, Billy D, CBell, and youse other true afficionados on the vintage models. Y'all make 'em sing. They're ridiculously handsome too. Maybe someday I'll venture down that road - as Walter says, they're not prohibitively expensive.

Guild is sorta like the Ampeg of guitars: east coast, unique, solid heritage of inventiveness and integrity - with lots of business transitions through the years that have hampered stability and standing in the market. Well-regarded companies with serious die-hard fans, but trouble reaching critical mass. You can't say it's a shame - both companies have produced remarkable products that have stood the test of time, and have enjoyed varyingly successful revivals - but you can't help thinking they deserved better in the marketplace.

– Proteus

Welcome back ole Buddy

Just a coincidence but I had a little "free" time this morning and was looking for something I haven't played in awhile so I grabbed a particularly nice 335 I have, I put it back. Then I grabbed this one, it's a special run Starfire 3 called the Blackfire. Wow is all I can say it's amazingly good with killer tone. These things are very rare, I got mine from Billy a while ago.

Just a coincidence but I had a little "free" time this morning and was looking for something I haven't played in awhile so I grabbed a particularly nice 335 I have, I put it back. Then I grabbed this one, it's a special run Starfire 3 called the Blackfire. Wow is all I can say it's amazingly good with killer tone. These things are very rare, I got mine from Billy a while ago.

– CBell

That axe is TITS!!!

I have the exact same guitar minus the fancy Kolb tuners, and it's pretty awesome indeed.

Register Sign in to join the conversation