Other Guitars

Vintage Guild guitars. I think They are wonderful.

Don't know what others think but I really loved the Guild DE 500. Yesterday I played a vintage Guild Johnny Smith and it was wonderful. Why are they not more popular? Are the just a musicians secret? Wow I'm impressed.

Let's keep them a musician's secret. What's probably the main reason they're not more popular is that outside an exception like Duane Eddy and some big-ish Jazz names, Guild never had a lot of star endorsers or users for their electric guitars.

I know I love my vintage Guild archtops, wonderful guitars.

It's really the whole line I think. Love the Starfires.

I borrowed a '62 Slim Jim a couple of weeks back. Fantastic build quality and I loved those Franz pickups.

Starfires were popular in my town in the md 60s -- pretty high on the food chain. We all thought the kids that had Starfires were quite lucky!

I have a '68 Starfire V. It holds its own very well. A friend has a Slim Jim ('67?). It's his cold dead hands guitar.

I have two. One's a beat up '65 M-65-3/4 arch top. The other is my much loved D-35 flat top---one of the best sounding acoustics I've ever heard. There's a reason Leo Kottke plays them. Guilds always seemed to be rare birds. I only knew one guy that had one, a Starfire, back in the '60s. Considering their quality and sound, you'd think there would be more of them around.

I have a 1966 Starfire XII. I've owned other 12 strings, including a Ric, but this one sounds the best to me. This is one of the guitars I will never sell.

I have a '68 Starfire V. It holds its own very well. A friend has a Slim Jim ('67?). It's his cold dead hands guitar.

– Baba Joe

Cold dead hands guitar. Not sure I have one of those, but my JBGretschcaster is likely to be it.

Cold dead hands guitar. Not sure I have one of those, but my JBGretschcaster is likely to be it.

– NJBob

I suspect that that's a good choice.

I only have one, but have loved them from afar for decades.

Great guitar.

I only have one, but have loved them from afar for decades.

Great guitar.

– crowbone

Sure is

This is normally such a civil forum. I don't understand why people feel compelled to pick fights by starting threads with such provocative, controversial titles as this one.

Am I correct in stating that they no longer build Archtops in the USA? Only the flat tops at Westerley and the electrics in China?

Am I correct in stating that they no longer build Archtops in the USA? Only the flat tops at Westerley and the electrics in China?

– gretschcrush

Fender sold Guild almost two years ago, and the company that currently owns it just finished their USA factory. They've just made two USA made flattops available, with plans for a whole line by early next year.

Right now, the only electrics you can get are made in Korea, flattop acoustics in China, and two or three USA acoustics. The plan seems to be that in the near future, there should be USA built everything again eventually.

But really, I don't see the point of new Guild electric archtops - Hoboken-made originals are still fairly affordable, expecially compared to Gibsons and Gretsches of their respective "glory days"-vintage.

It's really the whole line I think. Love the Starfires.

– CBell

Never had one myself,but long ago I worked with a guy who played a (then-new) Starfire identical to the one at the far left of cbell's pic.He let me play it a little once at rehearsal- really well finished,like the Gibsons of that time, but light like a Gretsch. they were a little more common in the Northeast than out West,where I ended up,so I never ran across a bargain Starfire to snap up. Too bad.

Yep, they are pretty wonderful.

I moved to the Pacific Northwest in '89 and was around for the blow up of the grunge and indie rock scenes. Surprisingly it's rarely talked about but Guilds (especially electrics) but they were quite popular- Kim Thayill of Soundgarden, Rececca Gates of Spinanes, Carrie Brownstein of Sleater Kinney, and Elliott Smith were all Guild players.

You know that the newer ones aren't so bad either.

These are an X-170 and a Starfire 5, both from Westerly.

The Starfire now has Power'Trons and a Chet arm.

The quality control is great. I've played a few late 60s with the buckers and one earlier model with a franz pickup. All beautifully finished and played themselves. Ascetically they lack the balance and elegance of Gretsch

Legendary Jamaican jazz/ska/reggae master Ernest Ranglin is fond of them.

Back in the heyday of the big (and not so big) independent guitar shops in Philly Guilds were plentiful. It seemed like every shop was an authorized Guild dealer (Zaph's, Cintioli's, 8th St, Medley, Howard Herbert) and always had a decent selection of acoustics and electrics on hand. I have been told that back in the day Guild was very dealer friendly and had no minimum buy-in to be an authorized dealer. I've played a few vintage and more recent USA made Guild electrics and they are really super nice guitars....sort of like a Gibson but with super tight quality control and consistency. The current Korean made Newark St. line of electrics while not in the same league as the USA guitars are excellent guitars in their own right, sitting somewhere in between Gretsch Electromatics and the Gretsch MIJ Prolines in overall quality.

Register Sign in to join the conversation