Other Guitars

To Bigsby or not. That is the question

Yes, it works for me. The shaft that holds the tension bar always needs to be polished. A Reverend spring and the long Bigsby Handle cut down a little works as well as a B6.

Well, to some of us, it’s not “to Bigsby or not?”, it’s more like “which Bigsby?” No matter WHAT guitar it is!

With time to think about this, as much as I like Bigsbys I must admit that I don't have one on my 335. I have never felt the need I guess. And I had intended to install one on my ES-225 but found I liked the weird tailpiece too much to change it.

I think I like Bigsbys on guitars with a clearer, twangier, brighter sound. I love the Strat whammy bar for the shimmer it can add to the sound, and the Strat's pickups work incredibly well with the vibrato. With cleaner sounds and some reverb/delay it can sound like a choir of angels has joined in. Gretsches sound perfect with a little Bigsby wiggle. I had a Tele with a Bigsby for a while and the Bigsby sounded heavenly on there.

But when I (briefly) owned a PRS with HBs and vibrato bridge somehow it sounded wrong. Too hair metal for me. Not enough shimmer and too much widdley sound. Maybe a 335 doesn't need a Bigsby? I don't know - never tried it.

But I sure would like a 330 with a Bigsby! P90s and Bigsbys definitely work - and the only 335 I ever had with a Bigsby was the Luther Dickinson with it's stock dog-ear P90s and that sounded pretty darn good.

" I think I like Bigsbys on guitars with a clearer, twangier, brighter sound. I love the Strat whammy bar for the shimmer it can add to the sound, and the Strat's pickups work incredibly well with the vibrato. With cleaner sounds and some reverb/delay it can sound like a choir of angels has joined in. Gretsches sound perfect with a little Bigsby wiggle. I had a Tele with a Bigsby for a while and the Bigsby sounded heavenly on there."

+1 on this.... love the bar on my strat, and 6120. Have considered putting one on one of my teles (cabronita thinline), just afraid to mod the thing and then regret it, because I love it as it is. (and no, I don't want to use a Vibra-mate and mess with the neck angle)

Speaking of odd/not-usual Bigsbys, this is what made me want to try on on my Cab:

ES-Les Paul, P90s, Bigsby: El Twanguero Diego Garcia

If you have to ask, no. There are guitars which MUST have a Bigsby. If you're not sure, it doesn't need one.

I vote no. For bigsby style/tunes just use one where Bigsby works better. That tension bar just changes things...

– Lacking Talent

haha I do that all the time! I don't think anyone else has seen the movie... LOL

Personally, I think any archtop without some type of trapeze looks off, and archtops with vibratos look best.

I like the B6 + tension bar approach the most, because you don't have to put any holes in the top of the body and the arm extends further over the playing area of the strings.

Well I love Bigsbys but if you do go for the Bigs and want to use that ABR Bridge, get yourself some of these Thumbwheels which let the bridge rock on the wheels. Way better for tuning stability...

https://www.crazyparts.de/b...

Or, you know. Tru-Arc!

As I'm a rhythm player primarily, I can live without a Bigsby, or any wiggle stick for that matter. I do like the looks of them, and they do afford some extra mass increasing sustain.

Ruger I would love a P90 Les Paul with a Bigsby. It wouldn't have to be an ES Les Paul - just a regular Historic Les Paul.

Ruger I would love a P90 Les Paul with a Bigsby. It wouldn't have to be an ES Les Paul - just a regular Historic Les Paul.

– JimmyR

I REALLY want that ES one- even the goldtop, which I am usually not a fan of!

But regular LPs with Bigsbys always looked a bit "off" to me... but I don't really believe in "rules" for this stuff- do what you want, so you can play what you want! Don't be too precious about it! (I've even considered cutting the trestles in my Hot Rod! )

But FOR ME- I would not Bigsby that 335 (Paul's). Don't you already have enough guitars with Bigsbys, Paul??

I like Jack’s solution : uses the holes and no hole in top

My problem is that my "style" that I have developed over the years was developed with a Bigs in my hand. A guitar without a Bigsby feels like a different instrument or at least one that is missing an integral part. If it was mine I'd have to have one. Dont think I'd seriously consider a guitar that didn't have one or able to have one installed.

So now that we have that out of the way, which one should i put on my Ibanez AS83 (335-alike)?

I have a Bigsby on my fridge and one inside my car. I’m thinking of installing a B5 on my cat so, yeah, Bigsby

My problem is that my "style" that I have developed over the years was developed with a Bigs in my hand. A guitar without a Bigsby feels like a different instrument or at least one that is missing an integral part. If it was mine I'd have to have one. Dont think I'd seriously consider a guitar that didn't have one or able to have one installed.

So now that we have that out of the way, which one should i put on my Ibanez AS83 (335-alike)?

– 6stringcowboy

Go back and look at Jack Skellington's guitar in post #21. That is what you want. It uses a Towner Down Tension Bar where you had the stop tailpiece and a Bigsby B6. If you want to save a little money you can use a B60. Better still use the Ibanez version: Ibanez vibrato

For the Towner bar: Towner Bar

I’m thinking of installing a B5 on my cat

Hmm, good choice. I tried a B11 on mine, and it just looked too big.

Paul--- my vote is for no Bigsby. Twice i have tried a Bigsby on my Blonde Telecaster and twice I have been happy to take it off. Your 335 looks great as is,I think

Proteus - No TruArc on your 335??

I love a Bigsby on an 175 but prefer vibrola on 335s

Register Sign in to join the conversation