Other Guitars

Thoughts on the value of these two autographed Les Pauls?

Anyone have an idea what the value would be of these two autographed Les Pauls? They are signed by Slash, Nile Rogers, Wayne Kramer, and a fourth person that I can't identify. (Any idea about that round-head signature?)

Don't shoot me - I'm just asking for a friend who asked me yesterday. (And not what you personally would pay! I'm just trying to help answer what the signatures may add, if anything.)

I'd guess the afro one is Rob Tyner.

I suspect that for most people, signatures on the face of an instrument detract from the value of an instrument, rather than add.

Here's a close up:

Autographed guitars are a whole different scene -- you have to find the right person or else it's a tough sell.

I always thought that having a guitar with a mish-mash of autographs would actually be worth LESS than one with just a single signer (on the market, that is, not a sentimental type of I-got-everyone-to-sign-this-guitar kind).

Like, if you found a Slash fan, got rid of all the other signatures, it would be worth more to that slash fan - but you'd have a pretty narrow audience in finding a fan of ALL those artists at once.

All conjecture, I don't know what they're worth unsigned, so I'm of no help with the signed versions.

What was the thread the other day?

Lighter Fluid takes off Marker Ink?

In my mind those would not do well at a Charity Auction, which is where they either came from or should go.

Quick, sell them to Gibson for display in their offices, demonstrating the astonishing stylistic range of artists who have found their voice in the Les Paul.

But do it before Henry's out on the street.

He'll buy anything.

You can go on ebay and see the long list of items signed by Slash that are being auctioned. Guitars, photos, etc.

These two guitars would probably be worth more without any of the signatures is my hunch.

Without verifiable documentation of each autograph, you're going to find the value disappointing.

Even with verification, it depends on who singed it, if they're still alive, and how many autographs they've given.

Add that to the value of a guitar.

Is it bottom end?

Custom shop?

Was it played onstage or in studio by any of the signees?

If so, do you have a picture?

All of this can make a difference in price, plus or minus

Rob Tyner died in 1991. His signature was quite legible. However, I’m on a quest to decipher that signature with the face. ;)

Perhaps you could ask you’re friend, if he was the one who originally acquired these autographs...who's the guy with the hat?

Rob Tyner made me chuckle, but the hair was pretty close!

May he RIP and ignore us...

Slash (and Duff) did have a Detroit connection with some Iggy Pop stuff early-90's when Axel became unbearable.

Made me ponder the Rob Tyner/MC5, especially if they have Wayne's signature, but those guitars are much later production.

Slash (and Duff) did have a Detroit connection with some Iggy Pop stuff early-90's when Axel became unbearable.

Made me ponder the Rob Tyner/MC5, especially if they have Wayne's signature, but those guitars are much later production.

– Twangmeisternyc

It was the Wayne Kramer, naturally, that set me off in that direction, and the sig looked for a second like MC...... Couldn't tell the age of the guitars.

Got my MC50 tickets.

I don’t think that autographs normally add value to a guitar. In fact, they might detract from the value without proof and all what Crowbone said above.

I once participated in a guitar circle with Roger McGuinn. Afterwards he signed my and others’ guitars. It was my 5125 which has a distinctive finish and was signed on the side. There’s a photo of him signing it while I held it. I don’t think it adds to the value unless a McGuinn fan wanted it (he’d first have to fight NJBob). It was a nice thing for McGuinn to do but in this situation I don’t think any value was lost or added. However, had I brought along a proline for the event, I doubt I would have had it signed.

There's an IATSE local 30 stagehand in Indy that had a POS Teisco. He took a belt sander to it and removed all of the finish. He's gotten between 150-200 signatures on it from myriad people from decades of gigs. He's the only hand I've ever seen or heard of that goes for autographs---it's just not done. It was shown on PBS' Antiques Roadshow, where it was appraised for $10K. It's probably one of the very few autographed guitars that really increased in value due to the ink. Trigger would be the other.

Thanks. There are a string of people involved, so I'm trying to get more information on these guitars. Unsigned, they seem to be in the $4k range for the AFD, and $2k for the 120th anniversary. My friend (non-guitarist, being offered them in a trade) was being told much more. (There's an AFD model on reverb.com listed for just under $40k - "#10" - which sounds insane to me.)

Thanks. There are a string of people involved, so I'm trying to get more information on these guitars. Unsigned, they seem to be in the $4k range for the AFD, and $2k for the 120th anniversary. My friend (non-guitarist, being offered them in a trade) was being told much more. (There's an AFD model on reverb.com listed for just under $40k - "#10" - which sounds insane to me.)

– nielDa

"What they're worth" and "what someone will pay for them" are two entirely different ballparks, but I'm sure you already know that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation