Other Guitars

this one is eatin’ on me

I don't think the tuners are original. All the ones I've seen are Klusons and these almost look like Waverlys, but these are missing the "railroad tracks." Bridge not original either IMO. But the rest looks great and classic. I'd ask if the wiring is original too, but the price seems right.

I can't imagine any support for the guy's contention about how great it sounds. That Gibson single coil is like anemia with a permanent coil split.

I have a regular-scale MM from exactly that era, and the playability is fabulous. Incredibly stable for so light a Honduran mahogany body. But the pickup was worthless. Mine was already hogged out for an extra pickup, so I have a big Framus single coil at the neck and a Dano lipstick tube at the bridge. NOW the guitar sounds great.

So the guitar you're looking at would present a quandary to me. You're kinda paying vintage money for it, and you're presumably getting a great (if thin) mahogany slab and a neck without peer. (They're kinda narrow at the nut anyway, you're getting the scale you want, and the frets and feel should be fabulous.) But it's in too good shape to have to mod with enough pickups to sound good - and if you go through pup-replacement/augmentation therapy to realize the body's full potential, you decimate its vintage cred.

Or maybe I had an exceptionally weak example of that single-coil pickup, and it's really a raging beast.

But mine was like a weaker HiloTron. That pickup at the bridge - and no neck pup - left me feeling up the creek with barely a paddle. Maybe very thin and dinky clean suits your ear, though.

You can get a hell of a good guitar for that price. Melody makers were nothing to write home to Mom about back then and still aren't now. My 2 cents.

Well, I think Melody Maker can be a hell of a good guitar. But not with the stock pickup complement.

Bear in mind what DCBirdMan is most searching for is shorter-than-24" scale. That's hard to find on any guitar. Pretty sure he wouldn't be specifically seeking a Melody Maker if it weren't for the scale. It also has a slightly narrower nut width, which he likes. So it could be an ideal platform.

Again the conundrum: if MMs are really worth the money being asked here, modding it to make it tonally satisfying will nuke the resale value. But it would be worth taking that hit if you came out with a guitar that really checked all the boxes.

I guess if it was me, I might order in the Melody Maker and see if playability was all I might hope for, then decide whether to flip it and get the money back - or go through with resale-crippling upgrades.

Well, I think Melody Maker can be a hell of a good guitar. But not with the stock pickup complement.

Bear in mind what DCBirdMan is most searching for is shorter-than-24" scale. That's hard to find on any guitar. Pretty sure he wouldn't be specifically seeking a Melody Maker if it weren't for the scale. It also has a slightly narrower nut width, which he likes. So it could be an ideal platform.

Again the conundrum: if MMs are really worth the money being asked here, modding it to make it tonally satisfying will nuke the resale value. But it would be worth taking that hit if you came out with a guitar that really checked all the boxes.

I guess if it was me, I might order in the Melody Maker and see if playability was all I might hope for, then decide whether to flip it and get the money back - or go through with resale-crippling upgrades.

– Proteus

I've had varying luck with MM single pickups, and I noticed the ones wound in '59 and '60 were hotter and fatter sounding.

I think it's cool as nails! I know you dig short scale guitars, so if you have the dough, go for it! Offer 850 and see what happens!

No issues with non original bridge or tuners. I don't think the Gibson single coil is any worse than what was on Duo Sonics, etc. - this is all about 22.5 scale, not much else really, as Prote has observed. Plus Duncan makes a drop in bucker for this.

I know all about resale crippling upgrades -- like that Revelation Tele w/ TVJ and big frets... upgrades that U think are cool -- no one else gives a damn. I always lose money on everything but that's price U pay for finding what works for you.

Really, I have been done w/ vintage guitars for 10 years almost. But I may have to dig back to that scene when there were more short scale ones. I am seeing refinised 50s Musicmasters for $1200 to $1400 so this is good by comparison.

Another thing is this is the full Gibson 1 11/16th width instead of Fender 1 10/16th .. .and there is a difference.

I think I would do this for $900. Some jokers, like Intense Japanese Dudes are still trolling for $1800 and more for these - just absurd. The kool LP Jr. 22.5 scale also intriguing but I am not $helling out for one of those.

Dang looks like 3/4 extended into the SG body Melody Maker

https://reverb.com/item/176...

He wants $1,100 for a guitar that sold for $50 new. Even considering inflation that's pricey.

Aside from the shorter scale length you like, it seems a might expensive for [to me] an ugly guitar.

– Proteus

"It also has a slightly narrower nut width, which he likes."

I do believe the opposite is true, no? Bob has always been into wider necks, IIRC.

No issues with non original bridge or tuners. I don't think the Gibson single coil is any worse than what was on Duo Sonics, etc. - this is all about 22.5 scale, not much else really, as Prote has observed. Plus Duncan makes a drop in bucker for this.

I know all about resale crippling upgrades -- like that Revelation Tele w/ TVJ and big frets... upgrades that U think are cool -- no one else gives a damn. I always lose money on everything but that's price U pay for finding what works for you.

Really, I have been done w/ vintage guitars for 10 years almost. But I may have to dig back to that scene when there were more short scale ones. I am seeing refinised 50s Musicmasters for $1200 to $1400 so this is good by comparison.

Another thing is this is the full Gibson 1 11/16th width instead of Fender 1 10/16th .. .and there is a difference.

I think I would do this for $900. Some jokers, like Intense Japanese Dudes are still trolling for $1800 and more for these - just absurd. The kool LP Jr. 22.5 scale also intriguing but I am not $helling out for one of those.

Dang looks like 3/4 extended into the SG body Melody Maker

https://reverb.com/item/176...

– DCBirdMan

Weird, I'm always looking at Juniors and Melody Makers. Don't think I've ever seen a 3/4 scale MM.

Lollar makes a P90 for Melody Makers with no routing required. Not sure if it would still be no routing on a 3/4 scale, but I think so. I've got one in my '65 and it doesn't sound very P90ish to me, much more like a Strat. Either way, it's way better than the old stock pickups that came with these. Also, the 3/4 scale Melody Makers seem to be best used with Nashville tuning.

https://www.lollarguitars.c...

For practical considerations, I think will wait for a double cut version. But the trip is that when it comes to 22.5" scale--- there just aren't a lot of choices. Might experiment with a 90s Duo Sonic also. But I will take the ugly single cut MM 3/4 @ $900 over a $1400 refinished Musicmaster any time. Yes, wider necks are better but the epic change for me over the last year is shorter length is more important than wide neck -- wasn't like that before.

Had a friend back in the day who had one.I LIKED it!

I do believe the opposite is true, no? Bob has always been into wider necks, IIRC.

Yep, I went stupid. The MM has a slightly wider nut width than the Fenders - and he likes that. It's something of a challenge keeping up with the Birdman's rules.

Kenny Vaughan showed up in my town one night and schooled everybody with this rig.

Yep, I went stupid. The MM has a slightly wider nut width than the Fenders - and he likes that. It's something of a challenge keeping up with the Birdman's rules.

– Proteus

Yes the Current BirdMan Reality is wider nut is good, taller frets are better but shorter neck is best. For now going to table the 3/4 MM lust until a double cut comes along -- plus have heard back from that guy -- not a good sign. It sure appears no double pickup MMs came in 3/4 -- but a few single p/u MM/SG body were done.

But I do have my eyes on a 90s red 22.7" Duo Sonic -- a setup and some strat sized buckers and I'm good. BTW one of my 24" Mexi Duos is up for sale in pieces tho. GDP discount $200 + ship.

Register Sign in to join the conversation