Other Guitars

The Other Shoe Has Dropped - Gibson Seeks Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Pro…

I see this as a very good move by Gibson. This is an historic and iconic brand in American music and it just serves to survive. Unless something goes completely sideways during the bankruptcy proceedings, GiBson should emerge on the other side a stronger company with the improved opportunity to succeed.

I see this as a very good move by Gibson. This is an historic and iconic brand in American music and it just serves to survive. Unless something goes completely sideways during the bankruptcy proceedings, GiBson should emerge on the other side a stronger company with the improved opportunity to succeed.

– Ric12string

Was the name change a requirement?

Yes, "Gipson" will now be making Les Paul guitars. Ya wiseacre!

A reputation for producing some of the definitive instruments of the 20th Century will keep the Gibson name on headstocks for a long time. This may or may not be a good thing. Some iconic American manufacturers outside of the music world have sold their good name to overseas investors who changed the businesses at very fundamental levels.

Delta Machinery comes immediately to mind. Table and radial saws, shapers, lathes, bandsaws, and just about any essential cabinet shop machine was reliably made by Delta for many decades. Parts and service were available everywhere, and after-market accessories from other manufacturers were widely made for Delta machines.

While searching for a part a few years ago, I realized that Delta had been sold to Asian investors who had gutted the line of machinery in favor of light-duty homeowner style tools. The name still exists, but the products are not even remotely similar to the cast iron behemoths of days gone by.

Gibson’s once proud name has lost its luster in recent years, but their instruments still make us excited when we get our hands on a great L-5 or Super 400. Let’s hope this stalwart of American musical instruments maintains and prospers under reorganization. It would be a shame to see this standard of quality go the way of Delta Machinery or other names we value and trust.

Does anyone else besides me enjoy the irony that Gibson has filed bankruptcy, which would include the Baldwin Company that it owns, and it was Baldwin that took Gretsch into bankruptcy in the late Seventies? It must be a curse.

Viper- the old projectionist in me recoils every time I see a commercial for the newer Bell&Howell products. Commercials which bank heavily on the decades-long reputation of the one time leader in 8 and 16mm projectors (and beyond), which later became an industry standard in microfim viewing (at least in our Province).

Now they sell fancy-looking but not well made flashlights and sunglasses at the "As Seen On TV" stores....

Sigh....

The irony wasn't lost on me Bob. I'm not really overly concerned about the details of the bankruptcy as I think things will shake down just fine once the proceedings move forward.

The only thing I hope for is that Henry J will have absolutely no involvement in the 'new' Gibson company. How things shake down and get restructured is dependant on him being as totally removed from the company as if he were dead. I'm not trying to wish him ill will in his private life, but he's the cancer at the root cause for the company's fortunes to have deteriorated so far and so rapidly due to him being an excellent example of the old adage, 'the only thing you can tell him is nothing.' It was 'his way or the highway', begging the question: so how did that attitude work out for you and the company?

Part of the proceedings are that Henry J be reduced to a consultant role only, probably a legal move to keep things from descending to lawsuit territory. In that role however, I bet he won't be consulting on much at all. His removal is hinge for their success.

Getting rid of associated but distant companies is what this this about, he wanted them to be some sort of guitar selling Best Buy type of thing with consumer electronics and "Lifestyle" products. I don't know a soul that NEEDS a pair of Sunburst $1200 buck speakers.. It just didn't work. And all that R&D on instruments that HE thought were the next thing, turned out to be the next thing in the R&D closet.

A bad move would be to lower prices now. There is cache in priciness, we all know that from Cadillac to Bentley's, very few can just lay down for one, it makes them elevated as are Gibson guitars. But the elevation means nothing if the continued tales of bad QC and faulty manufacturing continue. They will need to have that product pristine and proper for discerning eyes, and players with the ability to lay it on the counter for one, without that..it's still going to be a struggle to survive because guitar players will tell the tale of what is right and what remains wrong.

The revived Gibson would greatly benefit from a Joe Carducci type character. They've suffered from a figurehead who's been openly hostile to the customers for several years.

I heard Joe Bonamassa is interested. He's seems likeable enough in interviews. It's most likely fake news though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation