Other Guitars

The other forgotten g brand

A few years ago I had a nice Goya semi hollow es 345 copy. But after checking the pickup I noticed the center block and top had started to split so I got nervous and sold it. I soon after regretted selling it. I later found a beautiful 1980s alcivar es335 block inlay model in wine red but it had some real issues. I tried an first gen super hilotron electromatic and it was great. But I didn't have the cash. Then about three years ago I inquired about a guild starfire iv and I was shocked at the price and was like nope. But something happened last year after tax return, I stumbled over a new old stock starfire v marked down to $1070 cad shipped! From $2500 before taxes and I couldn't say no. Physically I loved the guitar ,the neck felt good,strat type radius of 9.5" and that's great because I love an old strat neck. The action basically flawles but that where things went south. When it was shipped the first thing I noticed was an extremely high fret making the 13 fret almost unusable but 12/14 are excellent and I hated the way it sounded. I tried to bond with The guilds lb1 but nothing I think I grew to despised even more. I looked at the guild wondering should I sell it or fixed it since the shop wouldn't respond when contacted with the issues. So almost a year after I took a gamble and bought a set of TV Jones classics and wow is all I can say . Its weird because I like a 70s Gibson t top but these pickups are great and fit with no mods.

Jared..welcome you and your beautiful Guild which btw are not forgotten around these parts.Most of us here I’d say are quite fond of them.I had a D40 and a D55 that I still kick myself for selling. Also did you get the fret issue worked out?

Jared..welcome you and your beautiful Guild which btw are not forgotten around these parts.Most of us here I’d say are quite fond of them.I had a D40 and a D55 that I still kick myself for selling. Also did you get the fret issue worked out?

– Michael Williams

Thanks and no not yet . I was going to send it to the luthier here but I ended picking up a used at and I have one more payment to finish on it . Then I’m thinking a Compton bridge then send it for a full setup. And yeah I was looking at a d55 but my Taylor 810 found me .

I gotcha,nothing wrong with that,it’s certainly fixable.Nothing wrong with Compton but might I suggest you give Proteus (Tim/TruArc) a look at for a bridge...he’s here.Really cool guy and makes a killer bridge.I came really close to pulling the trigger on a tea burst 810 also ...so close but I lucked up and found a J200 I’ve been after for a long time but that 810 was sooooo good.

Nice job, Jared. My Starfire V goes back a few years from yours and had regular sized (Fender designed) humbuckers on it. I also went the TV Jones route but chose Power'Trons in HB form. Great guitars.

Nice job, Jared. My Starfire V goes back a few years from yours and had regular sized (Fender designed) humbuckers on it. I also went the TV Jones route but chose Power'Trons in HB form. Great guitars.

– Don Birchett

Beautiful guitar and is yours USA made . What is the radius of yours do you mind if I ask

Nice Guild. Welcome to the GDP!

Which Gretsch do you have your eye on? I mean, c'mon, you didn't just come here to show off a very nice Guild, right?

Which Gretsch do you have your eye on? I mean, c'mon, you didn't just come here to show off a very nice Guild, right?

– Suprdave

I’m after a falcon. Or a Horton heat 6120

– Suprdave

And thanks

Hey Jared. Nice amp.

– Enis Penvy

Thanks . Would you believe me that I got this old girl in Commision from selling someone’s guitar lol . And it’s a 79 with a 15 ev speaker

Back in the mists of time I recall seeing a lot of Guilds in the Northeast. Never owned one,but I've played quite a few,and they were all good guitars. Well sorted out and sounded nice as you please. My favorite is the '62-ish Starfire III an old bandmate had. Singlecut, white DeArmonds, Guildsby B3(or maybe B6). If they made a Guild-quality RI in the USA I'd have Covid-level GAS.

I'm still wondering what the first forgotten G-brand is. You've mentioned Goya...and we haven't forgotten Guild...

oh wait! It's right on the tip of my fingers...

...I know! Gibson!

Guild not totally forgotten around here -- based on what I have seen. They made some conventional and somewhat odd guitars. Still cool tho.

Beautiful guitar and is yours USA made . What is the radius of yours do you mind if I ask

– jaredmacneill

It was made in Westerly, Rhode Island in late 2001. One of the last ones made there. I never measured the fingerboard radius but I would be surprised if it wasn't 9 1/2". Even Gary Donahue in his review of his stunning blue SFV didn't measure the radius. https://www.gad.net/Blog/20...

You will find some great reviews on his site including a explanation of why you found the mini-buckers underwhelming. Interestingly, one of his X-170 guitars came with the same pickups that I replaced. Decent pickups but they didn't stand out to me. He replaced them with TV Jones classics as you did.

Enjoy the heck out of your Starfire.

It was made in Westerly, Rhode Island in late 2001. One of the last ones made there. I never measured the fingerboard radius but I would be surprised if it wasn't 9 1/2". Even Gary Donahue in his review of his stunning blue SFV didn't measure the radius. https://www.gad.net/Blog/20...

You will find some great reviews on his site including a explanation of why you found the mini-buckers underwhelming. Interestingly, one of his X-170 guitars came with the same pickups that I replaced. Decent pickups but they didn't stand out to me. He replaced them with TV Jones classics as you did.

Enjoy the heck out of your Starfire.

– Don Birchett

Gary is an excellent chap . I’m also on the guild site and he’s good for helping noobs out. And yeah I wouldn’t say the lb1 suck because with a little delay, reverb,tremolo they didn’t sound half bad but they where missing something. And I will enjoy my guild

The Guild Duane Eddy models were cool. My Starfire fed back too much if I tried to Rock out, but then so did my real 6120.

'67 goya rangemaster for the win

cheers

'67 goya rangemaster for the win

cheers

– neatone

My old Goya

killer boogie as well...with an ev15" speaker....that's incredible real deal stuff right there...hold on to that!

cheers

killer boogie as well...with an ev15" speaker....that's incredible real deal stuff right there...hold on to that!

cheers

– neatone

Yeah and i got it on commission . Before the Mesa I used a 15 watt traynor dg15r. Talk about an upgrade

I only have Gretsch and Gibson these days but I do like a Guild Strafire III. Now you have me wondering what a US Starfire III RI with TV Jones pickups might sound like... I've had a few of those late '90s Starfire IIIs and they're such great guitars.

Guild forgotten? They are highly sought after around here. I just hope I see one for sell before Walter Broes.

Also, when I worked at Guitar Center, they had a Mastercraft line of dreadnaughts that was supposed only built by the best Guild master luthiers. I'd put them just under Martin's and high end Gibsons in sound and much higher in price/value.

Register Sign in to join the conversation