Other Guitars

The New Continuing Dipinto Galaxie 4 Los Straitjackets Thread Live …

Tavo, did you have your pickups rewound to still fit in the square pickup covers?

As I continue my heretical ways of posting non-Gretsch content on a Gretsch board, a good deal popped up on a Dipinto 5-way switch guitar a little while ago.

I don't know the seller.

https://reverb.com/item/256...

Does anyone here know if Gotoh or Grover locking tuners drop into a Galaxie without a redrill for the set screw?

Just found/read this thread. Wow, I've lead a sheltered life....

And all these years later, I still have the one and only purest manifestation, the very apotheosis, of the DiPinto Galaxie IV Los Straitjackets model - with Certified Super-Stock Fridge Magnetificent pickups AND the über-rare kill-for-and-bury-body Chrome-Ringed Rockin' Red Rocker switching AND matching Red Dome Chromtastic UFO knobbage.

Behold and weep.

No Straitjacket, not even Chris DiP himself ever achieved this harmonic balance of ruddy roseate ruby scarlet crimson accents with authentic hot rod chromitude to adorn the guitar's deep why-is-it-even-OFFERED-in-other-finishes zenith of all silver sparkly retro-futura nostalgaic metalflake plasticene skin - not to mention its mother-of-Tavo's-50s-formica-kitchen eggyolk-n-milk pearloid pickguard (AND matching headstock overlay, natch).

When in scarcely imagined futures digital archaeologists dig through the petabytes of fragmented remains of our era and come across images of these guitars, this is the one that will magisterially proclaim itself as the One and Only True Archetype of all that is Galaxtic.

It's just obvious.

Not to mention badass!

And all these years later, I still have the one and only purest manifestation, the very apotheosis, of the DiPinto Galaxie IV Los Straitjackets model - with Certified Super-Stock Fridge Magnetificent pickups AND the über-rare kill-for-and-bury-body Chrome-Ringed Rockin' Red Rocker switching AND matching Red Dome Chromtastic UFO knobbage.

Behold and weep.

No Straitjacket, not even Chris DiP himself ever achieved this harmonic balance of ruddy roseate ruby scarlet crimson accents with authentic hot rod chromitude to adorn the guitar's deep why-is-it-even-OFFERED-in-other-finishes zenith of all silver sparkly retro-futura nostalgaic metalflake plasticene skin - not to mention its mother-of-Tavo's-50s-formica-kitchen eggyolk-n-milk pearloid pickguard (AND matching headstock overlay, natch).

When in scarcely imagined futures digital archaeologists dig through the petabytes of fragmented remains of our era and come across images of these guitars, this is the one that will magisterially proclaim itself as the One and Only True Archetype of all that is Galaxtic.

It's just obvious.

– Proteus

I really kneeeeed those chrome rings, it would make my tru-arc serpentune pop!! this bridge is a game changer btw.. what are you doing with that tone suckin tubbocratic bridge on your G4 for?

I really kneeeeed those chrome rings

Sorry, I buried the body. Don't even remember where.

what are you doing with that tone suckin tubbocratic bridge

Cain't afford the Serp. Or wait! maybe I have one, but was keeping it in stock for the run on SerpenTune-for-Galaxie bridges I knew would follow its reveal.

But I agree, it should have one.

I retrofitted the Ric banjo bridge on mine and put one of those cheap roller tuneomatics that Chris D used to put on the Deluxe (and some of the safari models I think). Heresy!!

Well hmm. The depicted Galaxie is actually my second. The first (pictured here) had the Ric banjo bridge, which gave it a marvelously trashy (and appropriate) 60s-Japanese-Invasion tone.

But I was curious about the Tuna-on-Studs versions and ordered one in. It turned out to have a more vivid sparkle with less of a greenish cast - and at the time I approved of the punchier, more focused and direct tone of the stud-mounted bridge. (Fewer wacky pawn-shop overtones, etc.) The combination of the two factors (but probably, shallowly, the finish more than the bridge) convinced me to keep the Tuna version and release the Ric-bridge version back into the wild.

I've often thought I made the wrong choice tonally, and kinda wish I had the trashy bridge back - and now I'm not even sure I was right about the finish.

I agree - the weird overtones that the banjo bridge added gave the guitar a lot more character and I miss it for that, but not enough that I want to put it back on.

It's pretty commonly agreed around here that roller bridges of any type are tone suckers, but I like them, and the heavy weight that the roller bridge has covers for my over-enthusiastic picking hand.

I agree - the weird overtones that the banjo bridge added gave the guitar a lot more character and I miss it for that, but not enough that I want to put it back on.

It's pretty commonly agreed around here that roller bridges of any type are tone suckers, but I like them, and the heavy weight that the roller bridge has covers for my over-enthusiastic picking hand.

– Devil's Tool

you'd be amazed at the difference in response on this instrument is w the serpentune stainless steel. I put 11g pyramid flats (roundcore) on it, nice n slippery. No need for

:)

Register Sign in to join the conversation