Other Guitars

The New Continuing Dipinto Galaxie 4 Los Straitjackets Thread Live …

you just need to add a push pull pot to place the two inner pickups out of phase

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Because looks are everything, if I wanted to find out I'd just clown-nose it. lol

Like I said, I was looking at the 4-switch guitars anyway, it just so happened I ended up getting a blade switch guitar.

My next goal is to measure the weirdo bridge saddles and get them replaced with graphtech or something.

I just figured out what year mine is - it's a 2000, part of the Galaxie OS series. Mine has no serial number so it was one of the first 110 made (of the OS series)

(courtesy of archive.org)

http://web.archive.org/web/...

http://web.archive.org/web/...

– Devil's Tool

I had a red one w the blade switch, those are some of the first batch for sure w the original factory pickups.. Chris changed pickup factories after the ricky bridge/ blade era. I'm now installing curtis novak pickups in mine since thats what the LSJ are actually rockin in their guitars. He refuses to dispel info but he'll make you set for your dipinto :)

I had a red one w the blade switch, those are some of the first batch for sure w the original factory pickups.. Chris changed pickup factories after the ricky bridge/ blade era. I'm now installing curtis novak pickups in mine since thats what the LSJ are actually rockin in their guitars. He refuses to dispel info but he'll make you set for your dipinto :)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Does it make it sound less like a strat? Less like a refrigerator magnet (I kid)? Or give you more sonic girth?

My lack of involvement with strats means that I don't particularly have a frame of reference - I'm already maxed out with guitars to have work done on so replacing pickups on this Dipinto is pretty much last on the list of things that "need to get done" - it sounds fine as is, I don't have any qualms about how it sounds.

Strats all sound different anyway. Thin ones and fat ones, brittle and warm, the whole spectrum.

3 or more single-coils on a solidbody are ALWAYS going to remind us of Strats.

3 or more single-coils on a hollowbody (a la Gibson Switchmaster or the Gretsch Electromatic triple-pup centerblocker) sound LESS like a Strat. I suppose they sound like a big hollowbody Strat...but that's kind of a contradiction in terms.

Anyway, three singles don't have the same quacky effect on a hollerbody as on a solidbody.

And the Gal only "sounds like a Strat" for lack of anything else to compare it to.

Strats all sound different anyway. Thin ones and fat ones, brittle and warm, the whole spectrum.

3 or more single-coils on a solidbody are ALWAYS going to remind us of Strats.

3 or more single-coils on a hollowbody (a la Gibson Switchmaster or the Gretsch Electromatic triple-pup centerblocker) sound LESS like a Strat. I suppose they sound like a big hollowbody Strat...but that's kind of a contradiction in terms.

Anyway, three singles don't have the same quacky effect on a hollerbody as on a solidbody.

And the Gal only "sounds like a Strat" for lack of anything else to compare it to.

– Proteus

Very true, wasn't intending to malign strats at all - truthfully enough there isn't anything else I could compare it to.

AND I've been playing it all day, recorded a little of it last night AND it's a really FUN guitar AND I'm really glad I bought it.

AND the other guitar player in my band ordered one of the seafoam Safari's so looks like I'll get to fool with those switches after all.

wasn't intending to malign strats at all

I didn't take your comment as malignant. Just descriptive.

the other guitar player in my band ordered one of the seafoam Safari's so looks like I'll get to fool with those switches after all

Excellent! I'll be interested to hear your impressions.

I mention this only because if I don't I might quickly end up with a 2nd DiPinto - but there's an Eddie Angel spec one up on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p...

"A 2002 Los Straitjackets that I customized for a customer back in the day with a white pearl pickguard and chrome/red switches! This one has the Ric bridge used by Eddie Angle. Also, these early Woo Sung Chorus pickups had more bite and are the same in Eddie’s guitar as well. They are identifiable by their rounded edges and bigger pole pieces. This one weighs 7lb, 10oz. It’s in immaculate condition and plays and sounds incredible! $750 with a DiPinto gig bag! Contact Chris@dipintoguitars.com"

Note: I ordered a guitar strap from him and it came with an ad that said that he lists everything on Instagram first, which I find pretty interesting.

I see it's already "on hold" and if it's one of you I'm hella jealous.

I forgot to post this, but the pickups are already out of phase in certain positions on my blade. Not sure if they were stock like that or not.

Tavo - I do see a red blade DiPinto on ebay as we speak. Pretty cheap!

Cream with gold anodized plate.

– Geoff_Vane

Man, there was one of those out here on Facebook market place for 300 bucks, but it was new and shiny and I wanted it, but like so many of those things, if you don't leap, you lose, I lost...As to the Di Pintos, I love that earlier one pictured in the serape pickguard!!! They are rare as hens teeth out here as would be suspected, I don't think I've ever seen one. Maybe I should change the beat and bring one out here!!

I tried my guitar player's clown-nose-button-guitar - it's so new that it's almost apples to oranges in terms of how my 18yr old and this new one feel. In fact, his guitar was much closer in feel to my Hallmark. Go figure.

With that said, I flipped buttons and turned pickups on and off at will which I will admit was interesting. The tonal capabilities seemed endless.....so endless that it seemed like more work to fool with them than my feeble brain wanted to deal with.

As much as I covet certain clown-nose-button guitars (if I could get a black sparkle made? oooooohhhhh) I think the blade options are already far more than I need. I do find myself searching the button-style out - but definitely more for the aesthetics over the actual functionality.

To each his own!

I just got an e-mail that ebay has a red button w-chrome surrounds but the input jack is in a weird place (custom?) compared to where they normally are.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Di...

For those of you who talk about miles of cabling, I found this in that same listing which I think is pretty cool.

Chris has gone to a lot of trouble to demonstrate that only some colors and graphic treatments really work on the Galaxie...

... and some really don't!

Chris has gone to a lot of trouble to demonstrate that only some colors and graphic treatments really work on the Galaxie...

... and some really don't!

– Proteus

If you've seen any clips of the band he's in (not to mention the guitar with a mic stand built in?!?) every single combination that he's put together makes ABSOLUTE and PERFECT sense. LOL

Well, to someone.

Farz I'm concerned the silver sparkle/gold MOT with red buttons knocked it right out of the park from the gitgo. That's the color of a Galaxie.

But opinions are like navels. We like gazing at our own, and assuming it's the perfect example.

Next a Fender string ad

– rickvox

For the record, I own the Jagmaster Daddy O is holding in the picture. He put it up for sale several years ago on ebay and I was the weiner. Back when they had a Fender deal....Fender custom made these guitars for them.

Well, to someone.

Farz I'm concerned the silver sparkle/gold MOT with red buttons knocked it right out of the park from the gitgo. That's the color of a Galaxie.

But opinions are like navels. We like gazing at our own, and assuming it's the perfect example.

– Proteus

F’shur. I thought I was the only one who thought that the only good Galaxy 4 is a silver sparkle/gold mot with clown noses, however I remember seeing a bunch of custom, American made designs he was floating (this thread, #98 through #104) that I thought were not a complete abomination, though I have been known exhibit signs of temporary insanity.

Anyone ever hear Chris' old band Wastoid? I used to see them pretty frequently around Philly and he played a DiPinto "hellion," like a bat wing shaped Randy Rhoads Jackson.

Never heard of the Hellion before, but I googled it and conceptually I think it looks cool. I couldn't rock one though.

For those of you who talk about miles of cabling, I found this in that same listing which I think is pretty cool.

– Devil's Tool

reminds me of my ash bodied sunburst GIV that I swapped a full set of Peter Florance alnico V replacements. He basically redid the stock woosoo fridge mag and steel pole cheepies w proper bobbin and magnetic slug versions. That beast was HEAVY and bright. btw.. I bought an LSJ GIV some time back, and this week bought the matching bass for my gorilla's xmas present.

Register Sign in to join the conversation