Other Guitars

The New Continuing Dipinto Galaxie 4 Los Straitjackets Thread Live …

You should know I don't remember anything, Tavo. WHO are you, again?

I do remember that post, Tavo. You claimed to have some friends who were on tour with him or who rode in a cab with him or somesuchnonsense. At least that is what I recall.

Hope to have these Novak pickups installed in my new American Pro Jag soon. just waiting on the bridge from England.

A Mastery? That bridge will cost almost as much as the guitar did.

I personally don't see a problem with bridges costing a significant portion of the price of a guitar - assuming they improve the instrument to a commensurate proportion.

I think the record for a Tru-Arc is 350.00. That went on a 1953 Les Paul in Paris, and it had to be such a Low Rider the tooling and jigs had to be destroyed during the grinding.

A Mastery? That bridge will cost almost as much as the guitar did.

– Ric12string

a Candy apple red American Pro Jag guitar price $1550 street, a mastery bridge is $190. I bought a better version w proper vintage steel barrels w modern 9.5" radius for $97 in the UK (prot needs to come up w a retrofit)

https://reverb.com/item/639...

Oh, okay. I thought all of this was for your DiPinto.

Oh, okay. I thought all of this was for your DiPinto.

– Ric12string

ya my last dipinto had the full shebang from Mastery. I hated the ricky bridge from mastery sorry to say, but the vibrato was worth every penny compared to the stock one, just not worth that many pennies on the import dipinto and would be best served on a new american built dipinto :). fwiw..The earlier sunburst ash model had the set posts so it was great dropping the tru-arc on it. I will eventually work my way to that bullion gold USA Galaxy II. Thats a dream.

back in the clown button club again, just about to install an american pro jag trem and curtis novak vintage jag style pickups.. like the ones Eddie uses. ya fam, howboudat.. Eddie dont play stock fridge mags,never has. #FBOMBTV #QUILTER #LSJAF

Man I almost forgot how much fun I had right here. I should return more often and catch up.

There is a spare G4 that is used when things go wrong with LSJ. That one has four Novak lipstick pickups on it.

I shall ask Eddie about the pickups again.

Eddie sometimes used a booster pedal to get some bloom with mega clean and loud twin amps.

Mind you: the pickups on my LSJ model sound much meaner than those on the red G4 of my friends.

Man I almost forgot how much fun I had right here. I should return more often and catch up.

There is a spare G4 that is used when things go wrong with LSJ. That one has four Novak lipstick pickups on it.

I shall ask Eddie about the pickups again.

Eddie sometimes used a booster pedal to get some bloom with mega clean and loud twin amps.

Mind you: the pickups on my LSJ model sound much meaner than those on the red G4 of my friends.

– Geoff_Vane

both Eddie and Novak are not going to say sh$t about what is or isnt under the pickup covers. Just know I was made some pickups without the covers and I cant ask what they are made of, I can only install them into my Galaxie IV LSJ and then get really smug about it:)

teeheeeteeheeee

Tavo, is that an import Gal, or one of the reputed US models?

I think Chris should make some in knotty pine with a DP brand.

Also, how doth one acquire these mythical pickupth?

Also too, pursuant to bridge mentions above..."bridge from England"...do you recall the brand? I think it's the one I have on my Squire Bass VI. At the price a powerful alternative to Mastery.

Staytrem is the brand you're looking for Tim

Aye, that's it. Great improvement over the stock piece. Website says it's not available, don't know what that's about. I was thinking about it for my Squire Jag. But I just have a Mustang bridge on the Jazzmaster, and it really does fine as well.

Tim, I bought a Staytrem bridge for my Jazzmaster -- excellent bit of kit. Like you, I found the 'out of stock' sign on the website. The trick seems to be to keep looking, more or less everyday. After a few days the website sign said 'in stock' so I bought one -- and almost immediately the 'out of stock' sign was back, suggesting that the bridges are made in very small quantities (like maybe just one at a time!) as demand requires. The boss at Staytrem is a very nice guy to deal with and his Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge is just the job -- and there's a choice of radius.

just write to them, they will make you one. Good stuff

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Hey Tavo, how do you compare them with the Mastery Bridge? I’m a big MB fan and have it on my main Teles and JM but I’d like to try something new on my Jag. Is there something in the material that improve sound? Thanks!

Eddie just got that guitar back then. He says only Chris knows. He got it as is and never asked or investigated. Chris told me it's stock. So it either stock or there is a conspiracy.

I did mention I found differences in the pickups in the same guitars. I think they might be inconsistent.

When I plug in the D2000 Gretsch, it sounds much alike. The DiPinto just goes extremer when you switch the pickups to solo.

The cheaper DiPintos now have flat headstocks. The more expensive ones still have the tilted headstock.

I can't believe I made it all the way through this thread. And that there was potentially another one that was even longer! I got my fill of snark, attitude, spunk, over-enthusiasm, under-enthusiasm and thoughtfulness, cork-sniffing, and cork-sniffing-distain that I've grown accustomed to here on the GDP.

Once I get my mitts on the G4 I just ordered off Reverb I guess I'll add to the nonsense.

I can't wait to read about all I already know. I can't read it often enough.

I have a clown-nose magnet on my refrigerator. It holds up the instruction sheet to a Nocturne Electric Brain Sonic De-icepicker. If Tavo would send me a Christmas card, I'd put that there instead, and use the instructions to the DIP to turn down the tone kanob on my Classic Perfect Sparkle Clown Nose Galaxie.

A glance at the DiPinto website suggests the product line is down to one guitar, and it's not even chambered. Why didn't someone tell me about the chambered ones when they were happening? A chambered Galaxie sounds like a very fine thing indeed. I wonder if they're out there.

I wonder if Americanizing the G4 was, in retrospect, the thing to do. Part of the charm was its good-but-cheap retro-modern appeal.

I hope DiPinto survives though. I'd hate to see Eastwood doing a twibute copy.

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't actually read any of this thread until after I had already ordered the guitar off of Reverb. With that said, I had actually been looking at clown nose versions - Chris DiPinto had actually posted pictures of the "Safari" series that is coming out (another import series) - a gold clown-nose with some spectacular flake. He got one and did a full setup and more to - at which point I got REALLY interested. (Gold G4 "Safari" Located @ https://www.instagram.com/p... ) If you're on instagram, follow him, he's always got some interesting stuff - not just his guitars.

He lists guitars on Facebook, Reverb and Instagram almost simultaneously, but not always in sync with each other. They can list on Reverb and Instagram and never make it to Facebook, the Safari's are listing and selling pretty quick. A lot of people i know sell things on Instagram. The immediacy and good quality pictures do a lot of selling for you.

With that said, I fell in strong "like" with the one I ended up ordering from a different dealer - even though it didn't have clown nose knobs - it was still sparkle, and the pickguard and headstock are pretty cool looking, it's kind of "understated cool" in my eyes. I pulled the trigger.

I have guitars shipped to the office because things get lifted off my porch, everyone was intrigued (more so than normal) because it's got such an "unusual" factor and more pickups than anyone ever thinks of.

It was listed as "excellent" condition, it's got a few dings that weren't mentioned, and the bridge saddles look like they all got extra notches as someone fixed the string spacing over the polepieces. Notched is putting it politely, it looks more like pockmarks of rust, so there's some work to be done there.

Other than that, so far it's the most strat-like guitar I've ever owned. (Not a bad thing) It popped one of the really old strings right when I got home so I didn't get to play with it early enough in the evening to really crank up the amp to band volume.

It's a looker, it plays GREAT, I have some work to do on the bridge, and the pickup height doesn't seem right AND I need to dial in my compressor between it and the Hallmark. This G4 was intended as a backup guitar to the Hallmark due to the same scale length and my fear that the Hallmark is going to mysteriously unwind a string (even though I've soldered a few sets now). The pickup tones are pretty unique depending on where the blade is, I feel like I'm still curious about how many clown-tones I could get with clown-nose buttons but the other guitar player in my band said "You bought my guitar!" when I told him I picked this one up, so we'll see if he ends up getting one too.

Well, we know where I stand - there's no sense having 4 pickups and not being able to combine them in every possible way. I know there's a mathematical formula to determine how many combinations of 4 things are possible, but if I've ever known it, I don't remember it. I always have to resort to brute force and make a chart. I think this table covers it.

1, 2, 3, & 4 on the table refer to pickups; a bullet in a cell indicates the pickup at the top of the column is on; the CODE column summarizes the combination in that line. I come up with 15 combinations.

And NONE of them sound even remotely bad or are unusable (as is the case with many out-of-phase and other fancy-wiring combinations on some guitars). None sound strangled, none are too fat to be of practical use. They're all Fendery, of course - but with more waypoints along that continuum than we're used to.

I have no idea what the 5-position blade switch enables, but it's aptly named: it's a blade that cuts off 2/3 of the guitar's gonads.

None of which means I'm trying to rain on your Galaxie parade. Any Gal is a good Gal, and you're going to have a blast with it. But I can imagine you'll be curious about those extra tones - and you can always do a retrofit with a pearloid cover to convert the blade area of the pickguard to a suitable gallery of clown noses.

Anyhow - yes, EVERYone notices the Galaxie, even (or especially) non-guitarists, and it seems to make people happy even before it makes any noise.

Can't beat that. Have fun!

you just need to add a push pull pot to place the two inner pickups out of phase

Register Sign in to join the conversation