Modern Gretsch Guitars

6122s sound nice, apparently

according to this video, at least:

i never really knew, never owned one, and not sure what the current (or pre player's choice) equivalent to this might be. i get confused with the fretboard material and scale length of the varying versions.

but its interesting. the body sounds a little thinner and the tone is a little more snappy. kinda neat. my only personal frame of reference is my supertron'd 6118, which sounds different, to me. fatter.

That scarf though

The real F holes with binding is a much nicer look than the painted on ones.

I have a 6122 double cut, so I like these guitars. But, I don't like the sound of that guitar one bit. It buzzes and thumps.

I have a 6122 double cut, so I like these guitars. But, I don't like the sound of that guitar one bit. It buzzes and thumps.

– Ric12string

Agreed. It has snappiness but lacks that Gretsch growl

given its pre-fmic nature, its hard to know exactly what's going on in there, so i'm wondering how typical/atypical is that sound amongst 6122s, and if the current ones do/don't sound like that. if i had to guess, i'd say its a longer scale and ebony board, which may help with the snappiness. and maybe ceramic filters? i don't know.

if buzzy and thumpy isn't what they do, then what are they supposed to sound like? and, pickups aside, could a 6122-1959 sound similar to this one, or other 6122s of the 1962 variations?

in typical gretsch fashion, there are (and were) several variations, neither of which were what i would have wanted- long neck, ebony board, no mutes, thinner body, painted f-holes: not necessarily because i like all that stuff, but because its not what i already have and i'd like to try something new. they like to take features i'm interested in and scatter them amongst several models, to my eternal chagrin.

– Ric12string

I agree.

I have a 6122-1959 that I bought new in 2008. IMO it is the finest sounding guitar I've owned in over 60 years of playing. It has stock TV Jones pickups.....

Another very long time member here once referred to the '59 as "the luxury liner of the Gretsch fleet".

The scarf looks cool, but I'd have chosen a different color.

...------

There is a sonic difference between an open "f" holed Gretsch and the "Electrotone" bodied Gretsch. Easiest way to describe it is that Electrotones seem to have a more focused voicing.

Long scale vs short scale, and open "f" holes will change the sound too, and then the bracing type will add it's own character to the mix also.

They all sound Gretsch, but have different characteristics to my ears.

I have a weakness for fake F-holes as my first Great Gretsch was a '64 6120, with fake F-holes. So cheesy but so cool! Sound-wise I much prefer my SSLVO with actual real F-holes but fake ones are so good.

I wanted to name a band "The F-Holes" but my wife wouldn't let me.

Gretsches of this time came with ceramic magnet Filtertrons. In 1995 I learned what a search engine was and the very first thing I typed in was "filtertron." I found TVJones and my '89 6120 turned into a new and much better guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation