Other Guitars

Tele-Kit Build Thread

Tim, the very good news is that the pickup bridgeplate holes had to be filled, moved forwards and the pickup route enlarged slightly so the intonation travel would be centred properly.

I also note the strong centreline Mike drew on the body to keep the alignment true. Very good practice.

I've been really enjoying this build. Mike seems to display the same cheery indifference to these obstacles as Zsa Zsa Gobor did when embarking on yet another divorce.

Thanks guys! I agree that the aluminum wil look better over time. I hope the electronics will work as they should, but where the wires meet the pickups also looks quite messy. I really don't now where to start to try to tidy that up so for now I'll leave it and hope for the best. First I want to finish the build and then tinker on if necessary.

Yes, I keep calling it a kit cause that's how it started I just made some custom hardware and upgraded the fretwork. And I didn't expect perfect parts at €79,- Euro's (would have been nice though). The neck fits the body very well, I put them together without screws and could lift the body without them coming apart. The neck could be wiggeled out without much force. Now with the paint and lacquer I probably will have to make them fit again, we'll see.

But I wish you'd tell us the brand name of the "kit" so anyone who wants to build a guitar from a kit rather than piece together a project will know to steer clear.

It's a Harley Benton kit, Thomann's house brand.

Aside from looking good, aluminum is great for electronic shielding.

See, I don't know anything about electronics stuff haha.

Like Ade said, the scale length is fine since I improved the bridge placement. I like the idea of making an aluminum bridge though!

Mike seems to display the same cheery indifference to these obstacles as Zsa Zsa Gobor did when embarking on yet another divorce.

Hahaha, thank you!

When installing the groundwire to the bridge I jammed a piece of toothpick in there so it stays put.

Project is almost done!

My Jazzmaster kit, from Pit Bull guitars in Australia. Originally had 2 P-90’s but I thought a lipstick would be different. Also fitted a Jaguar control plate and knocked up a scratchplate.

I knew not much about electronics either, but there’s a stack of websites around. After a bit of reading I was confident enough to try to rewire/modify a couple of guitars I had. Trail and error, but fun.

Keep up the great work. It’s interesting to see the transformation.

That looks like a fun guitar! How's the quality and fit and finish of the parts from the Pitbull kits? I have read good reviews about them. That lipstick looks cool in there, although you can't go wrong with two P90's.

I've also visited tons of websites for information and youtube has been very helpful (when you finally find a useful video...) I also have some inspiring guitar building books.

Not the best weather for making pictures, but anyway here's a shot of the body put together. I'm so looking forward to put this thing together!

Now I'll have to wait three weeks for the lacquer to dry/cure before I can start sanding and polishing the neck and complete the guitar.

Pretty handsome. Looks like it all belongs together!

Fit and finish of the Pit Bull Guitar was really good. I’m thinking I might get another but a bass this time. The pickup rout is a bathtub rout, so there was no cutting to fit different pickups. No holes drilled for the tremolo though, so it was measure 5 times, drill once. Even then I had it a shade off centre, so plug, measure, drill. The electronics are probably generic made in China stuff, so I changed the pots and jack to better ones. That’s actually the third incarnation of the kit, First was Sky Blue, with 2 cream P-90’s and tortoiseshell scratchplate, second was Surf Green with 2 chrome P-90’s and tort plate, then what you see here.

Happy building.

You fellas are obviously far better and more dedicated to guitar building than I am. I've put together a few Warmoth/Fender guitars but never really been 100% happy with the results. The last one I put together was a lightweight Warmoth ash Strat body with a Fender John Mayer neck, fat 50s pickups, Fender vintage style bridge - all good stuff. Then I compared it with a Fender Journeyman Strat (admittedly not exactly a cheap guitar!) and even acoustically the Journeyman Strat blew it out of the water.

So now I have the rather expensive Journeyman Strat - but I did get a generous deal on my partsocaster as a trade-in.

I don't think you'll ever want to part with your guitars Rusty and Mike. Too cool! Here's me thinking I'm skilful in cutting new nuts for guitars - but you guys are taking it to the next level!

Pretty handsome. Looks like it all belongs together!

Thanks, it really does! And I like the shiny knobs to go with the neck pickup even though I have some aluminum knobs that look good. Those would be too much.

so it was measure 5 times, drill once.

Yeah those thing happen to me also. I took pictures where which wires were going, wrote down which one went where, laid everything out so it couldn't go wrong. Then the pickup test, neck pickup worked, bridge didn't... Still managed to get two wires switched and fortunately it didn't take long to find out what was wrong.

I'm using the electronics from the kit, if they're bothering I'll replace them but for now I just want the guitar finished.

but you guys are taking it to the next level!

Haha, thanks but it's not finished yet. I still have to see how playable this kit is going to be. You're right about the parting part, I have sold one guitar in my life and sort of regret that since that was my first guitar. I'm not good in selling gear (I might want to use that some day...)

Time for a little update. I let the lacquer cure for two weeks so I started sanding the neck and the decals. It's not as smooth as it should be, but I'm pretty happy with it. Now I know next time I need to give the finishing more attention like sanding in between layers, duh. Since this is more a hotrod project it turned out fine. Though I did manage to sand through the tinted lacquer here and there.

I was hoping that the decal would get a bit lighter sanding off a little color, and it did, but not as light as I would like. I did manage to completely hide the edges of the decals, that was my main goal for the decals, so I'm very happy with that.

Last I cleaned and oiled the fretboard, man that wood was dry! When I was oiling the third fret the oil at the first fret was already completely absorbed. The fretboard turned out nice and dark and I got rid of purple-ish color of the dry wood.

I have been oiling the fretboard every other day and that's a big difference. I also installed the tuners that came with the kit, time will tell if they're good enough, and put on the new string retainer. I added a serial number, logo and todays date and will try to assemble it tonight. Now I'm all excited!

I might need to create some paperwork to make my first build more 'official' haha!

Thank you Paul! I'm already very happy how it turned out.

I have put it together so now I can start the setting up process. It does play nice as is but I think some tweeking will help. Here's some quick pics I just took. More pics will follow soon!

That looks fantastic. Great job and i really love your attention to details. Especially the time-stamp. Way cool!

Thanks guys!

It looks great! I love the aluminum pickguard.

Yes now I'm also a fan of aluminum!

That looks fantastic. Great job and i really love your attention to details. Especially the time-stamp. Way cool!

The devil's in the details. On the other hand maybe I over-think things sometimes. But as a 'supposed to be' graphic designer I'm trained to see and add details, and like to make logo's. I also love printing, and the easiest way was to have a logo stamp made and get some regular date and numbering stamps. One detail I missed was I didn't get waterproof ink... So I had to color the stamp by hand with a waterproof marker and quickly stamp it on the lacquer. That worked well enough haha.

This is why I should visit GDP more often. Well done Michael! I tip my virual hat. I really love the "Pindacaster". I'm too clumsy and lazy to create something like this. So I can only be proud of you with a hint of envy.

What a nice build. Great job. It amazes me what the folks on here can do. I know it was a kit but you did a lot more than a kit would require. Kudos!

Thanks guys!

I should visit GDP more often

Indeed you should! We miss your stalking stories and pictures. We should call it 'Geoff's Stalk Talk'

I've been playing the Pindacaster a lot and it plays pretty nice, though there's still some getting used to a Tele-style guitar for me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation