Other Guitars

Tele-Kit Build Thread

Great that you are working on this again, Mike! And nice to see the process. And I too like the color!
Btw: I had a giggle over the Pindacaster name.... I can imagine not many here will get that reference....

As I said earlier the pickguard that came with the kit was plain white and didn't fit the body shape to my liking. It was a bit off here and there and thats the kind of details that can drive me mad haha. Especially when there is going so much time into this project. When I noticed this I thought a vintage-white pearl pickguard would look great. At the time I couldn't find such a blank which was affordable enough. The vintage-white was about twice the price of regular white pearl so I didn't want to do that.

Then I noticed my amps flightcase which I built years ago, primer red with the aluminum trim and thought well that's a nice combo. So off to the hardware store to get a sheet of aluminum and cut a new pickguard.

I made a few paper cutouts to test the fit to the body and then cut it out of the aluminum.

Haha, thanks Daniel! Yeah, I had to give it a name and made a list of possibilities. "Pindacaster" came up and well, I just went with it. Hopefully I don't have to explain this name cause I wouldn't know where to start in English without it sounding weird, haha.

Haha, thanks Daniel! Yeah, I had to give it a name and made a list of possibilities. "Pindacaster" came up and well, I just went with it. Hopefully I don't have to explain this name cause I wouldn't know where to start in English without it sounding weird, haha.

– Mike2000

Ha ha, yes... it would sound weird very quickly.... I wouldn't try.... ; )

Ha ha, yes... it would sound weird very quickly.... I wouldn't try.... ; )

– Danman

Yes I guess you're right, lets not go there...

Let's just say Peanuts then. One Snoopy sticker on it and you'll be fine!

Haha, no stickers necessary!

Here's the pickguard which came out pretty nice if I say so myself, there's just a couple of marks where I slipped with the Dremel. I leave those in there to remind me to be more careful next time and stop working late at night when I get tired...

I wanted a matching control plate but the aluminum sheet I got was too thin to use for this. I bought another thicker strip of aluminum and fabricated a control plate. Sawing, filing, sanding and drilling and presto! It's getting the hotrod look I was after.

Building a kit guitar has crossed my mind a few times, but man, that fretboard looked rough.

Building a kit guitar has crossed my mind a few times, but man, that fretboard looked rough.

– Gerry Ratrod

It's really fun to do! When I was researching which kit to buy I stumbled on various opinions about these kits, some good others not so good. So with a bit of luck you can get a good one for that price. The first one I got had a very bad fretboard, so I sent the kit back and Thomann replaced the entire kit. I want to learn how to do fret- and nutwork so that's why I did so much work to it. The fretboard I kept got a bit weird at the last few frets but I don't play there so I just minimized that a bit. With a better (more expensive) kit I expect there should be less issues.

Here's a few pics of the neck I sent back:

I know I want to learn how to fix these things, but I think trying to fix this would be pushing it to attempt it on my first build...

Back to the project. I'm not trying to go for relic but I want the hardware to somewhat match the aluminum pickguard and control plate so I sanded the shine off a bit. On these pictures it looks a bit harsh but in person it's fine.

Back to the project. I'm not trying to go for relic but I want the hardware to somewhat match the aluminum pickguard and control plate so I sanded the shine off a bit. On these pictures it looks a bit harsh but in person it's fine.

– Mike2000

What, no ashtray?

What, no ashtray?

– NJBob

No ashtray, this is what came with the kit and I intend to use most of the original hardware. Also I don't smoke...

The drunken blind guy who did the drilling probably was also in charge of the wiring... So again something to sort out and do a better job. I have never worked on these kinds of electronics before and also never soldered anything together.

This is the bridge pickup:

In the meantime I got a pedal kit to learn to solder. Yay! Yet another project...

This is how the neck pickup was wired. At least there is more then enough wire to work with.

The wiring on this kit led me to the project in between "learning how to solder properly". I have never soldered something before so I got a DIY pedal kit. I might as wel learn on something guitar related and I have been thinking about building pedals before. So I put this together:

The pedal works and I'm having tons of fun with it, so that's a win-win! More pedalkit building to come, haha.

Very, very cool! I love those pictures and the story behind it. The name is brilliant!

Yer a real Craftsman, Mike! Doing a much better job than me. I just got me some second hand parts and stuff from my parts-bin as my 'kit-guitars'. Needed a guitar to put my P13 in (left) and trying a sitar-guitar.

Very, very cool! I love those pictures and the story behind it. The name is brilliant!

Yer a real Craftsman, Mike! Doing a much better job than me. I just got me some second hand parts and stuff from my parts-bin as my 'kit-guitars'. Needed a guitar to put my P13 in (left) and trying a sitar-guitar.

– will

Haha, thanks Will! But I'm hardly a craftsman, i'm just trying to make the best of a diy kit. I don't have a parts-bin yet but I can see one in the very near future. This guitar and pedal building and tinkering is pretty addictive, I'm already slowly gathering parts for a next build. I would like to try the P13 Tele and the sitar-guitar next time I'm in Schipluiden!

Since the wires were very long and very badly soldered, I cut them off and made cleaner joints. I still left them longer than they should be to make it a little easier for me to install them.

Here's the excess wires:

And here's how they turned out:

I did put the connectors back for convenience, did a tap test and the pickups still work. Getting there!

Thanks Suprdave!

And I won't have a big rats nest of wires in the cavities, maybe a small nest though.

Nice work, Mike! And you are really 'making it your own". I like the use of aluminum for the pick guard and control plate. Funny what you said about dulling down the finish on the body. I had to do the same to a bass neck i finished, that I was putting on a Fender "Road Worn" body. I had the neck finish like glass, but had to hit it with steel wool to dull it down to match better.
I was wondering if this was your first kit, or if you've put together any higher cost bodies/ necks/ kits, such as from Warmoth or a similar company.
Can't wait to see it done! Fun stuff!

Nice work, Mike! And you are really 'making it your own". I like the use of aluminum for the pick guard and control plate. Funny what you said about dulling down the finish on the body. I had to do the same to a bass neck i finished, that I was putting on a Fender "Road Worn" body. I had the neck finish like glass, but had to hit it with steel wool to dull it down to match better.
I was wondering if this was your first kit, or if you've put together any higher cost bodies/ necks/ kits, such as from Warmoth or a similar company.
Can't wait to see it done! Fun stuff!

– Metman

Thanks Metman! Yes, I like to make things my own and the aluminum has just the right look for this project. I don't know yet if the aluminum interferes in the signal but we'll see when it's done. Maybe there needs to be shielding paint or tape on the pickguard and in the cavities, if that's necessary I'll add that later.

I bet your neck matched the 'road worn' body a whole lot better after the steel wool. It probably even feels better too, less sticky. I might just even do that to my black Duojet, not to relic but to give it a satin finish. Only downside of steel wool is that it gets everywhere!

Yes this is my first attempt at 'building' a guitar. I've been looking at Warmoth stuff but that could get pretty expensive, but you'd get way better quality parts. I'm trying to do this on a budget ánd have a learning experience. So thats why I got this kit; cheap and it needs work to get right. I do have refretted one other guitar though, an acoustic, that was my first 'project'. And come to think of it, I've never finished that thread. Link Guess I'll have to look up the foto's and make that thread complete.

Loving those aluminium parts, what a cool look. Maybe even better when the scratchplate hazes over a bit with time.

The pickup leads from the factory would bring tears to a glass eye. Quite the recovery you made there...

You keep calling it a kit, but I think you're giving it more credit than it deserves. Given the poor workmanship, poor fit, and what look like cobbled-together parts, it's more like you bought some stray mismatched pieces someone threw together and sold as a "kit" because "junk" was too honest for commerce.

I hope the neck fits the body properly and the scale length is accurately laid out to match the neck and bridge locations. Given everything else you've found, I wouldn't assume it's right.

I get that part of your purpose is to have a learning experience, and you're having fun - and evidently doing great work - so all's well in this case. But I wish you'd tell us the brand name of the "kit" so anyone who wants to build a guitar from a kit rather than piece together a project will know to steer clear.

I don't know yet if the aluminum interferes in the signal but we'll see when it's done.

Aside from looking good, aluminum is great for electronic shielding. Your use of it in pickguard and control plate will improve the signal-to-noise ratio of the guitar considerably. It would be nice to get some near the bridge pickup as well. Maybe when the pickup/bridge plate turns out not to provide the right scale length for the neck, you can fabricate one from aluminum. That way you won't just have built a guitar from a kit, you'll have made a good part of the kit from scratch yourself.

Register Sign in to join the conversation