Other Guitars

Supro takes aim at the Bigsby-equipped semi-hollow market

And another thing! Why does the Dual Tone model have to have Bowie written all over it? And the shape has been altered into some kinda weird squat body shape. That doesn't resemble the original model that Bowie played anyway!

Yeah, but there was something wonderfully 'wrong' about those old Supros and Airline guitars. The juvenile delinquent cousins of the bigger brands. Snotty, full of attitude and they had a unique vibe in a world of what became generic guitar design. The new models seem wrong in the wrong way.

Hard to please? Damn right. Sorry about that. They could be cooler, or just stick to reissuing the originals.

– Vince_Ray

Oh I am more than familiar with the Supro Attitude... I don't like that particular guitar, but one of my main badass slide guitars is a Supro Lexington that I lovingly refer to as "The Waring Blender", and yes it has those fat tone single coil pickups that give up the goods...

Check it out: https://soundcloud.com/dani...

Yep, they're just beautiful to me too.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

What can I tell ya? All my Gretsch electrics have had cat's eyes only!

Really late to this topic. I agree that the semi-hollows are a bit ugly, but they could be vastly improved with different body colors and slightly more plain pickguards (possibly in black or white). I just received a Westbury (slab body) in white for just a little over $500. Looks good to me and sounds pretty great. The seller included the Supro case as well - pretty snazzy!

Huh. I don't find anything objectionable about the shape. These and others like them are derivative of Roger Rossmeisl's work a the Electro String Instrument Corporation.

And I know one person here who's not a big fan of his aesthetic sensibilities.

– Afire

While not really a big Rick fan that one in your pic is my favourite Rick shape.

I think the F hole counts for a lot. That classic shape found in 6120s is essential to me in a Gretsch's appeal. Anything squatter, smaller, straighter etc just don't work for me.

– Vince_Ray

Absolutely with you on this!

The only others I love as much as the large Gretsch f-holes are Epiphones ones from the 30’s and 40’s which Gretsch seem to have been inspired by.

Register Sign in to join the conversation