Other Guitars

Supro Slab o’ MOTS

I like the looks of these as well!! No idea how they play or sound.

It's purty, but it's purty short a pickup for my porpoises.

Probably sounds like an electric guitar, and I have some of those already.

Cool and retro. I can see the attraction.

It's gorgeous. It's visually got mojo, I wonder if it sounds supro-ish or more danelectro-ish.

Says it’s a single coil pickup. Perhaps it’s disguised as a Humbucker?

I've got a single coil pickup that looks like a humbucker, it's entirely possible I guess. Were they making single coils in 1959 that looked like humbuckers though?

Supro/Valco/Airline, etc used large single coil pickups. That moto-covered guitar is cool and if you have a single bridge pickup that's all you need.

I have a Supro Tremolectric and an Airline Town and Country with those pickups:

They're called Vista Tone pickups. Problems with size though, if you look closely you'll see they're actually a bit larger than a humbucker. So they only fit the guitars they're designed for.

Some folks love them. And now, you can buy them from Supro in a humbucker size. Originally made by Roadhouse pickups. There's some great demos on ytube

That's the pickup i've got, a Roadhouse Vista Tone.

I guess I learned something today. Thanks!

That's the pickup i've got, a Roadhouse Vista Tone.

I guess I learned something today. Thanks!

– Devil's Tool

And what do you think of the pickup, or is it not installed? I like mine but need to do more with it

Cool guitar, and yes, those are great sounding pickups, very fat sounding single coils

"Mother of Toilet Seat finish"......... Love that!!

I wasn't sure at first. I'm always looking for Link Wray style bump n grind and assumed they'd has that bright edge found in his early recordings (yeah, Les Paul, p90s, premier amp, ripped holes in speakers)....but aside from that, I love the sound of his guitars. One of which was a Supro with Vista tones.

I gave them a second chance recently without expectations and yes, they are kinda meaty. In a good way too

This fellow gets a great sound out of them. His other films are worth checking

I installed mine in my Moderne copy - it's a great sounding pickup, I need to stick it in a better vehicle for it's characteristics. I'm presuming it would absolutely scream in a lighter guitar, this moderne honestly sounds a lot like a Les Paul with the stock humbuckers. With the Vista Tone it sounds like....something else. I can't even compare it to anything but it sounds cool.

I've seen some goofy camera angles in guitar videos. That's certainly one of them.

They are great pickups, although to me the bridge position is where they work best. At the neck they're a bit woofy and dark.

It's purty, but it's purty short a pickup for my porpoises.

Probably sounds like an electric guitar, and I have some of those already.

– Proteus

Even a single shot pistol can be deadly.

This has a snarl all it's own.

I had one decades ago, and it's on my Seller's Remorse list.

We all got our own snake oil hey? I like em.

MOT is the loveliest thing. I want a car covered in it.

Looks really cool. I wonder what the slider switch does.

Flips up the missing pickup from a hidden trap door.

you'd have to do without the MOTS, but a 50's or early 60's dual tone is almost the same guitar with two of those glorious "not humbuckers"

Register Sign in to join the conversation