Vintage Gretsch Guitars

6117 Fretboard Radius?

Hi gang,

I know that most of the FMIC Gretsch reissues are all 12' radius. Although the action is quite good on it (maybe a little too low), I have a lot of trouble bending a full tone on my old 1960 Dbl. Annie. I'm pretty sure there are 10s on it at present, but they might even be 9s.

I also have a 125 Anniversary 6120DC. It plays like a dream. This one has 10s on it.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be because of a differing radius? Is it because of the old space roller bridge?

Thanks & God bless, Bro. Charles

I think it's more likely that bending is difficult because of smaller/lower frets on the vintage guitar.

How's the neck relief? Older guitars benefit in terms of playability from a good setup. Plenty of information on youtube about it, alternatively it's pretty cheap just to get a setup with a good luthier.

Vintage guitars rarely have an accurate radius. I would guess that A D G and B are around 12" and then it goes to about 16".

When you say you can't get a full step bend are you saying it frets out?

Vintage guitars rarely have an accurate radius. I would guess that A D G and B are around 12" and then it goes to about 16".

When you say you can't get a full step bend are you saying it frets out?

– Curt Wilson

Hi Curt. Not so much that it's fretting out. It's literally that I can't bend it up enough. The bend will be strong, and pretty much "looks" as though it is a full tone bend, but I barely get it over a semitone. This is not an issue on my newer Gretsch. It's peculiar. I've experienced this on any other guitar, with the exception of higher gauge strings or terrible action.

I'm thinking that I need to raise the action on the guitar a little bit. At present it's very low.

Is there a Bigsby on your Anniversary?

Is there a Bigsby on your Anniversary?

– Shuggie

Affirmative. On both of the Gretsches that I have.

Register Sign in to join the conversation