Other Guitars

Strange guitar needs help

I'll be traveling across the pond in September for a recording session and even though my Falcon has been EVERYWHERE with me, I think its time to realize that traveling over seas with the Falcon is a BAD idea. It really hurts because it only seems natural to use the ol' girl but I can't imagine losing her! If that guitar was ever gone, there would be no replacing it and I wouldn't be buying another Falcon because it wouldn't be the same.

SO, I plan to bring the guitar that is pictured below.:D The ugliest guitar I own! It gets more attention than any other guitar I play at a live gig and actually has a vintage sound and feel. I often refer to it as the "birdhouse" guitar. I also call it the Masterson because it has a metal plate on the headstock that says Masterson Nappanee, IND. I currently have Rio Grande "Bastard" P90s installed. She obviously needs some cosmetic help...I'll be contacting Paul Setzer about some possible pick guard options. Any suggestions? I also need some knobs. The spacing isn't very great between knobs? Any ideas for that? I also want to install a Bigsby. Which model?

Im looking for suggestions for the following:

Bigsby Knobs Pick guard material.

Looks like a good old warhorse. Only thing I would do is make both pup covers and surrounds cream (or all black). If you go black then make the PG black. Otherwise I think it's journeyman chic.

I think it kinda charming. why not go completely bigsby but in the negative colour scheme? Maple Pickguard that can encorporate the knobs then you can place them anywhere you want and a maple armrest! very cool and super funky

i didnt even know you still had that thing!!! always thought it was cool in that oldschool kinda way

Paul, the Bigsby idea is something to consider. Didn't even think about that!

Davy, it's really a good guitar. Plus, Im thinking I can remove the neck before flight and avoid any issues whatsoever. BTW I have that stainless TA ready for you to give it a go!

just do everything in black for the old school look. with a guitar as simple as that pimping it out would look absurd. for a pickguard shape i think i'd go with something simple to the point of being almost geometric so it'd go with the plates that already exist. i'd think you'd want a B3 for a guitar that size to get the proper string angle over the bridge, and i'm thinking Marshall amplifier knobs.

Macphisto, you may be right. I actually got to thinking anyway, the Bigsby guitar style pick guard wouldn't be good for my playing. I often rest my pinky finger of my picking hand on the pick guard. Sure seems comfortable on those raised pick guards! ...bad habit I know.

Thanks for the recommendation of the B6. Just so everyone knows, the top of this guitar is actually flat. Would a B6 work okay with a flat topped guitar?

I don' think I'd touch it. The Bigsby will affect the tone & I think it looks pretty neat. It's very funky, but original.
Why don't you put the money towards a flight case? Something safe for the Falcon. Or just rent a Guitar for recording? Traveling with gear is always a little unnerving.

I don' think I'd touch it. The Bigsby will affect the tone & I think it looks pretty neat. It's very funky, but original.
Why don't you put the money towards a flight case? Something safe for the Falcon. Or just rent a Guitar for recording? Traveling with gear is always a little unnerving.

– Hyde Baker

– Archtop 13

I don't think I will be where renting a guitar is possible and I'm not sure I'd be interested in that anyway. It is important that I am comfortable with the guitar for the recording. I won't be traveling with the Falcon so no flight case. With this guitar I will be able to remove the neck, wrap it in clothes put in a back pack and carry it on with me. No worries of mishandling. No worries of losing it.

whether there's enough break angle over the bridge for a B3/B6 to work is the question. it'd seem so from the fact that there's already a trapeze tailpiece keeping the archtop-style bridge in place. the simple way to assure it'll work is to use a bar bridge, whose deep grooves will help keep the strings from popping out of the slots due to shallow angle. at least, it worked a treat on my Pro Jet.

I think it's cool as it is, but one thing you might have to watch out for is that they'll probably let you on board with the neck and body in your hand luggage, but they might complain about the screwdriver (yeah, I know it's stupid if it's not sharp but airline regulations have little to do with intelligence) and they might not like the screws either. You can put those in the below the plane luggage (or whatever it's called) though.

Actually come to think of it, they might not let you with the loose neck on board either, and you'll have more problems flying out of the US than into it in general.

The neck will fit in the bag with the guitar. Shouldn't be a problem right?

Why not just get a good case for the Falcon?

– WB

– Walter Broes

It seems everywhere I look folks are saying DON'T travel with a guitar you care for. Especially internationally.

Its kinda got me freaked out...

It's really not that big a deal if you have a case that qualifies as a flight case. If not, don't trust you'll be able to take your guitar on board, because chances are you won't. But with the right case, it's probably not going to be less safe than in your house or around the corner from your house on stage.

Davy, it's really a good guitar. Plus, Im thinking I can remove the neck before flight and avoid any issues whatsoever. BTW I have that stainless TA ready for you to give it a go!

– Timothy Mayes

– T_Mayes

awesome! i need to find some time to come get it. i really wanna try that out!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation