Other Guitars

Steam Punk Basket Case 63 Silvertone

There just wasn't enough on the guitar or in my budget to restore it. I realize that this will be met with rabid resistance from some of you. I can live with that.

Okay, I'll be the first.Is that a playable instrument or wall art?I don't see strings but I can't enlarge the picture enough to see if it even has a bridge.

It's a clock. The bottom circle is a dome-glass, A/C clock.

Ah, got it. It does look very cool.

Ah, got it. It does look very cool.

– Suprdave

Thanks! It doesn't photograph well with a cell-phone, though. My brother is a photographer who has shot all of my Steam Punk. He also gave me the guitar. Next time he's in town, I'm gonna have him do it justice.

Even if this "wall art" wasn't so hideous I would still consider this an act of vandalism. I'm just sayin'.

Even if this "wall art" wasn't so hideous I would still consider this an act of vandalism. I'm just sayin'.

– Charlie Vegas

Thanks for your constructive input!

I'm all for it.

I'd like a steampunk guitar on which the additions and appliqués actually did something - some Rube Goldberg mechanical way of accomplishing a musical thing. Membranes brushing the strings to activate them, maybe a whammy-bar-gear-driven rocking bottle of mercury that makes tremolo.

It should be slightly dangerous.

Nice but it’s not multi functional enough. Maybe remove the truss rod and run a cord up it, and attach a light bulb and shade. Maybe use a tone or volume control as a dimmer switch and the pickup selector for on/off.

– Charlie Vegas

It's a Silvertone/Teisco-like guitar. It was probably too far gone even before it went steampunk. At least it didn't wind up in a dumpster. If it was at all playable, it likely wouldn't have been turned into "art".

You might be able to attach a theramin. That would be pretty steampunk.

I had a Silvertone as a kid. This one looks much more functional.

Now that's funny right there - but those old Silvertones can be quite functional, of course.

I had a guitar like this one that I lovingly rebuilt/modded into a nice player in the 80s. Before I turned it into sculpture.

I stripped the body, sanded it smooth as can be, stained it dark walnut, multiple clear coats and ever-finer sandpaper. Sawed out and lovingly polished the edges of a smoked grayish plexiglass pickguard, wired in the nicest surplus pickups anyone would give me. (I think a Framus and a lipstick tube, as it worked out.) It played well, sounded fine.

Then I decided to put in a Tunamatic I'd scrounged, and was hammering in the threaded receivers. My grandfather was in the garage, curious and helping. I was hammering away at one of the studs and he said, in the way he had of delivering warnings as you back the car through the garage door, "woop woop woop woop WOOP! - just as I hammered the stud through the back of the guitar, splintering the wood.

That's when he told me his grandfather always said "Be sure to stop before you hit'er the lat blow."

Good advice.

Nice but it’s not multi functional enough. Maybe remove the truss rod and run a cord up it, and attach a light bulb and shade. Maybe use a tone or volume control as a dimmer switch and the pickup selector for on/off.

– Baba Joe

I'd thought about that. But I already have a few lamps. Under the volume/tuner knobs, the holes go all the way through so I can put LED chips in. Many of my Steam Punk pieces are still evolving. Here's a look at my shop.

I'm all for it.

I'd like a steampunk guitar on which the additions and appliqués actually did something - some Rube Goldberg mechanical way of accomplishing a musical thing. Membranes brushing the strings to activate them, maybe a whammy-bar-gear-driven rocking bottle of mercury that makes tremolo.

It should be slightly dangerous.

– Proteus

This is precisely why I don't think much of anything "steampunk". Almost every piece I've seen is nothing more then cosmetic add-on's attempting to make the object look Jules-Verne'ian. Like Tim said, "I'd like a steampunk guitar on which the additions and appliqués actually did something". I've seen some functional steampunk guitars that look cool but I don't want non-functional add-on's that require getting a Tetanus shot first.

Well now that I see your steampunk man cave, it absolutely works. Cool room.

Well now that I see your steampunk man cave, it absolutely works. Cool room.

– Suprdave

Thank you!
My wife told me that the guitar was cool, but it lacked context. The room does that. I'm hoping to panel that corner with old cedar fence this weekend. Basically barnwood.

The whole project began when a friend of mine told me I needed a clock in the room.

With my back and arthritis, I'd rather remove excess weight, not add to it.

It looks cool, but you can't hear looks.

I'd thought about that. But I already have a few lamps. Under the volume/tuner knobs, the holes go all the way through so I can put LED chips in. Many of my Steam Punk pieces are still evolving. Here's a look at my shop.

– PawnShopYamaha

I get the feeling you’ve only just begun.

– PawnShopYamaha

You need more brass and rosewood!

Where have I been,WTF is Steampunk?

You need more brass and rosewood!

– wabash slim

I believe you are right.

I sold one of my lamps yesterday so after I buy a Peavey Classic 30, I'll have a little cash left over to take to the scrapyard. Once the weather warms, I'll be hitting garage sales, too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation