Miscellaneous Rumbles

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Happy Cinco de Mayo to all. A quick refresher from our friends over at Wikipedia:

The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.[3][9] In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.

http://c.tadst.com/gfx/600x...

lets get skinny..

On the Fifth of May, in 1862, the Battle of Puebla took place. Two years after a three year Mexican civil war had finally ended, the Mexican government was struggling, and attempting to establish itself again. Mexico owed large amounts of money to the British, Spanish, and French empires. In order to stop it’s skyrocketing debt, the Mexican government issued a two year “postponement” of paying these debentures. It managed to negotiate this through with the Britain and Spain. France however, decided it wanted it’s money and that it was going to go to war with Mexico over this delayed payment. (Napoleon had to do something since he was so short, right?)

As 8,000 troops marched through the coast of Mexico, they came upon the city of Puebla. After thoroughly defeating the Mexicans in a few skirmishes, French general Charles de Lorencez had grown arrogant. Facing the opposing Meixcan forces lead by Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín, who numbered just over 4,000 troops, equipped with poorer weapons and far less artillery. Lorencez made severel tactical mistakes such as starting bombardment with his artillery too early, and leaving his later charges unsupported. Sequín’s aptitude for command allowed him to take advantage of these mistakes, and soon after, the French were retreating and the valliant Mexicans found themselves victorious.

It was the start of the conflict, and though a heroic victory, the French conquered Mexico and installed a new emperor, Maximillian, several years later.

That’s what actually happened on Cinco de Mayo

this, on the other hand

gives me mixed feelings..

lets get skinny..

On the Fifth of May, in 1862, the Battle of Puebla took place. Two years after a three year Mexican civil war had finally ended, the Mexican government was struggling, and attempting to establish itself again. Mexico owed large amounts of money to the British, Spanish, and French empires. In order to stop it’s skyrocketing debt, the Mexican government issued a two year “postponement” of paying these debentures. It managed to negotiate this through with the Britain and Spain. France however, decided it wanted it’s money and that it was going to go to war with Mexico over this delayed payment. (Napoleon had to do something since he was so short, right?)

As 8,000 troops marched through the coast of Mexico, they came upon the city of Puebla. After thoroughly defeating the Mexicans in a few skirmishes, French general Charles de Lorencez had grown arrogant. Facing the opposing Meixcan forces lead by Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín, who numbered just over 4,000 troops, equipped with poorer weapons and far less artillery. Lorencez made severel tactical mistakes such as starting bombardment with his artillery too early, and leaving his later charges unsupported. Sequín’s aptitude for command allowed him to take advantage of these mistakes, and soon after, the French were retreating and the valliant Mexicans found themselves victorious.

It was the start of the conflict, and though a heroic victory, the French conquered Mexico and installed a new emperor, Maximillian, several years later.

That’s what actually happened on Cinco de Mayo

this, on the other hand

gives me mixed feelings..

– TheNocturneBrain.com

This just made My day,,, the picture of tube tops and sombreros,,,not the story.

ARRRIBA!

As a Hispanic guy, I have to chuckle at most who "celebrate" this day without any knowledge what so ever of it's meaning or why it happened, it's an excuse to go drink and make attractive fools of themselves for the most part. As that same Hispanic, never once did my family celebrate, or acknowledge the date..it was just another day...oh, and I like the red tubetop,second from left.....

i saw manic hispanic over the weekend so im all done celebrating!

As a Hispanic guy, I have to chuckle at most who "celebrate" this day without any knowledge what so ever of it's meaning or why it happened, it's an excuse to go drink and make attractive fools of themselves for the most part. As that same Hispanic, never once did my family celebrate, or acknowledge the date..it was just another day...oh, and I like the red tubetop,second from left.....

– Parralax View

exactly..

....and yesterday was....

May the 4th be with you!

I listen to Bob Dylan's "Isis" to commemorate the 5th day of May.

i saw manic hispanic over the weekend so im all done celebrating!

– Rattlecat

I wanted to go, but I had to do daughter stuff.

you missed out. plenty of "heritage" in the place. it brings out the inner vato in everyone there. plus halfway through The Crowd's set they put on the mayweather fight so it was a double treat!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation